Author Topic: Robot Arena 2: Component Freedom (remove 7-component limit!)  (Read 43991 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 2: Component Freedom (remove 7-component limit!)
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
Fair enough, I assumed he was saying he found a new method. My bad. Apologies, Jaydee
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
shame I'd literally learned how to bypass rule of 7 a few days before this was made
What's your method?
Building the rest of a chain on another base component and swapping the component parent number over, it requires replacing the component placed last on the chain I'm trying to follow on, it sounds complicated but it isn't tbh :D

This is excellent, shame I'd literally learned how to bypass rule of 7 a few days before this was made, something everyone has wanted.
Thank you Serge :)
Forgive me for assuming that you're talking out your ass, but how did you do it, and why didnt you tell anyone? Seems pretty co-incidental that you discover a method for bypassing a rule we thought was set in stone for over a decade a couple days before another method was publically released.
I followed Sonny's advice on the topic, so no I'm not talking rubbish or not telling anyone plus it had been found out before :) it's actually a pretty good method but unnecessary now :)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »
That's been known/done since ages with bot file editing.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline courthousedoc

• Derpasaurus Rex
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • AKA Okamifan1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • A Taste of Deco
    • Awards
  • Discord: Okamifan1 #2120
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
This truly is a breakthrough, I am a bit of a pessimist though so I do have to ask? With Robot Arena 3 just around the corner will that put a damper on any future potential breakthroughs like this.

I truly cannot believe with all the brilliant coders, and modders in the history of the RA2 community that it took so long. This has a huge potential to create either amazing designs, or newbies who think they are hot stuff. Probably both haha.
Let me tell you something I learned through life... The weakest link in the chain isn't always the failure point.
Steam:
Tournament History:
My Showcases:

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2016, 11:41:48 PM »
This truly is a breakthrough, I am a bit of a pessimist though so I do have to ask? With Robot Arena 3 just around the corner will that put a damper on any future potential breakthroughs like this.
That's difficult to say - it depends how fun RA3 will be to mod. I'm optimistic, Unity games are usually quite fun to reverse-engineer and extend (although the toolset for CLI/CLR is entirely different than for native binaries).

I truly cannot believe with all the brilliant coders, and modders in the history of the RA2 community that it took so long.
Apparently nobody really tried hard enough :D. My excuse is not having a Windows box for a long time (and that the game was broken on Wine) - once the game was running under a debugger, finding the place to patch this took just an hour of bisecting with breakpoints.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2016, 07:13:31 PM »
Yo Serge, plz release <3
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »
Yes, will do!

I was supposed to be home this week, but an accident with airline booking software and my fat fingers got me stuck in another country until Monday - and I don't have my Windows dev laptop with me, where all my code is.

I'll release this Monday or Tuesday once I get back home.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2016, 01:10:43 AM »
Personally I like "cheating." It makes up for what the games lacks. and I live my life by the notion that the only rule is what a man can do, and what a man can't do.

I like it too. We are already limiting cheaty things, specially in DSL, that you can do even without crazy mods like this. In my opinion no hitboxes is a good thing because it will make building much easier (more about creativity and design than skill in finding magic pixels and cheating the game) but also because it will remove those "dirty" looking acceptable bots like an ant clipping a motor just a tiny bit because the game didn't allow you to place it where it didn't clip that tiny bit. It will also make remaking your chassis not such a huge pain because pacing components won't be a hassle.

At the end of the day if you're going to put your bot in a tournament or in a showcase it will be checked by others, so if anything is too far out it will be called out.

Hell, with this .exe I think absolutely no amount of essential.component clipping (motors, batteries, etc.) should be allowed in bots from now on. After all, we have the tools for it not to happen now.

This might juat be the thing that gets me back into RA2. This has literally been my wish since I first started RA2 7 years ago.

You have my sincere thanks Serge, seriously :)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
Would it be possible to give the player infinite repair time in tournaments Serge?

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »
Well, after catching up with life (oops), there it is!

The download link for the Final version is in the original post of this thread.

Have fun! Let me know if there's any issues.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »
Great work serge!

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »
Time to utterly break the game !

Maybe we can even use this for better DSL-S building, as long as we agree to certain rules...

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2016, 01:49:15 AM »
Time to utterly break the game !

Maybe we can even use this for better DSL-S building, as long as we agree to certain rules...

Well, most the rules are technically already in place. I think that stock RA2 will have the biggest trouble regulating the use of this since stacking is a thing there. The biggest issue in DSL will come from how much weapon stacking will be allowed, chassis intersections, and "technically realistic" edge cases. Razor stacking is already pretty crazy and somehow its allowed but now it might be possible to do the same with a lot of other weapons so are those fine as well?

Talking about technically realistic, I personally find that doing stuff like this is pretty neat:

They actually turn with the wheels too!

It does look pretty dirty on the inside though since the trick is done by attaching the weapon on the back of the opposite motor so that reduces its validity but I personally think that if it looks realistic on the outside and that's the only use for it then it should be allowed.

For example, in the first pic you can see the spikes are sticking out just a tiny bit out of the chassis and I guess it would have collisions there which would prevent other bots from hitting my back since they would hit the spikes instead. I think that this specific instance shouldn't be allowed but if I extended the chassis so the spikes were all the way inside and they didn't interfere with gameplay (other bots can hit my chassis) then they should be allowed. I do recall doing something similar a long time ago so IDK if this is due to Serge's Patcher or not and I'm just embarrassing myself lol

Anyways, there's bound to be a lot of new things like that are unrealistic due to the game's mechanics but technically could be done IRL so having some "official" ground rules would be nice. I definitely wouldn't want to not be able to do cool stuff that is realistic just because it wasn't possible before.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:36:22 AM by LiNcK »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2016, 05:23:07 AM »
^^i would say that could be DSL standard, but a waste of weight however and as such not very good for DSL-S.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2016, 03:24:05 AM »
Havn't build anything since this came out. But I do know a bot I want to build looking at my Gmod bots...

Offline Serge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
Hah, that's awesome. Look forward to hearing any further developments :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
I remember click made a bot with multiple chassis before, and encountered a similar issue regarding drive. He had to use sawblade "wheels" instead of legit wheels. It was called ant army, should be on the exchange under stock MW.

Btw, since you're dabbling in chassis hax, you think it would be as easy to remove the 16 chassis point limit as it would be the 7 part limit?

How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline xanosz

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Yea Boi
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »
When going to fight another robot does first chassis have collision or is it still collision-less?

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2016, 12:56:53 AM »
Serge, you are a fuking wizard.

Also, I've been meaning to ask-
What even is going on in the background of your desktop? You have a bunch of coding things/etc going on while RA2 is playing; I find it interesting.