Author Topic: RA2: ReStocked (2018) AI Pack  (Read 3323 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
RA2: ReStocked (2018) AI Pack
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »

ReStocked2018Logo.png

So this has been in the workbench for a good two years now, but finally, it's released.

Click here to download the pack

Also, you will need the lastest patch as of 10/11/18.  Just copy and paste the current files in your current AI folder.

Click here to download the latest patch

So many people way back in 2009 have been collaborating with a remade Stock AI with a similar name.  While a Beta version was released of that, it never was truly complete, as it featured recycled bots from other AI packs, or just straight up unviable bots in today's standards of building.  (This is me at least hoping my Stock skills are strong enough for most builders out there).  But unfortunately, some parts just never truly got the full release it deserved, and most members of the original disbanded or just disappeared.  So I, feeling a little bad about that, offered to assist in helping with the pack to help revive it, and while I did try to help, not much came from that, and after gaining some interest again, decided to do somewhat a re-imagining and remake of the entire project.  A re-imagining of a re-imagining.  How meta.  So in a way, you could call this technically an unofficial release of an AI pack, but this is mostly a tribute and assistance for one last hurrah, I guess that's a way of putting it.

All you will need for this is a clean version of Stock 1.4, and everything should be good to go, but please do report back if there are any issues.

So this project contains (also listed in the ReadMe):

- 45 Bots inspired by the original stock AI

- 9 Additional bots in the "The Rookies" and "XTRA" Bots in the Robot Designs folder

- New Splash for UI

- Secret Easter Eggs for anyone who can find them.

NOTE: This will replace any bots in the first 3 slots for the first 15 teams.  The Bindings will also override any custom teams that you may have added on from the first few slots in Stock, so beware.

And that's all for now.  I hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:32:21 PM by RedAce »

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RA2: ReStocked (2018) AI Pack
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »
Looks awesome man. Some of the bots could still use a little work to be truly competitive (Coal miner, devil, eye poker, deadbeat) but it's in a good place!

Only real complaint is... why you gotta replace my hanky panky
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
I'm really not trying to cast any shade towards anyone or their work, but can someone please answer why they find the Stock aesthetic so appealing? I think it looks revolting and so very visually disgusting.

I'm seriously not trying to be rude, it's just a question I've been meaning to ask for a good while now.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
I'm really not trying to cast any shade towards anyone or their work, but can someone please answer why they find the Stock aesthetic so appealing? I think it looks revolting and so very visually disgusting.

I'm seriously not trying to be rude, it's just a question I've been meaning to ask for a good while now.
I don't think people find the aesthetic appealing, they just don't have a strong opinion on it, like you do.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »

it's the same quality that engineers see in a well-engineered machine, the efficiency of a design is often the major beauty in and of itself

the component designs themselves are arguably messy and goofy looking, but the components can look like anything and still not affect the thought put into the design. it's the same mentality behind people making things in beseige, where every part looks ridiculous but there are some very fine designs made out of those parts than can be appreciated by ingenuity and creativity alone.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »

so wrong
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Danangoo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 08:35:32 PM »

so wrong

So, do you plan to actually explain to me why you think I'm wrong like Reier did?

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:02:53 PM »
Pretty much what Reier said.  Strongly agree with everything he just said and--

Oh, Right.  *clears throat*  Ahem, let's discuss this else where, and transition back to the topic at hand:

Looks awesome man. Some of the bots could still use a little work to be truly competitive (Coal miner, devil, eye poker, deadbeat) but it's in a good place!
Thanks man.  It was tough trying to test these bots.  Those four in particular I remember more than most.  Coal Miner might need razor FS on the bottom half rather (might experiment that later).  Devil I did get the weapon snagged from the wammer but it seems effective with deweaponing HS, but I might tinker with it more.  Deadbeat I built as a wall, but might need more speed, as maybe I might try 4WD HPZ and see if it fixes it at all.  Eye Poker on the other hand I do remember having great wedges and even killing hard.  I'll test it again later, cause now I'm curious of that.

Only real complaint is... why you gotta replace my hanky panky
(Image removed from quote.)
Not at all saying that Hanky Panky is bad at all, in fact, I forgot how good that thing is.  But its really convenience, I guess.  Organizing and AI pack is tougher than it sounds.  Nothing personal at all, it's just not once I actually thought of asking.  Probably would've been a simple yes, but I guess I got worried in the end.  Also, when building DSL reborn, I found everything easier to organize when constructing a pack by your own accord.  Might take even longer to make, but it was simpler to organize for me anyway.  My bad, dude.  Hopefully I didn't cause more problems.  That's kinda the last thing I want to do right now.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
DP

So I noticed a few bots after this has been released have a few errors in the designs themselves.  So I created a patch to update four bots in particular to fix this.  Click Here to download this patch.

Here's a list of what was fixed up:

Please inform me if there are any other issues with the designs if there are any.  Thanks.

Offline Dadddjent

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • LORDSLUDGE
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: lordsludge
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
some reason i keep getting the c+++ error
LORDSLUDGE

Offline infiniteinertia

• Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
this looks phenomenal. so much work was put into this by many great builders over the years. im glad it has finally reached a point of completion.

that said, every time I try to bring the competition into combat, the game crashes. not sure what the problem could be, as ive tried troubleshooting it for a day now. copied it straight to a clean ra2 index and havent had any success. has anyone else had this problem?

cant wait to try it out once i get it working. thanks redace for putting in the work to finish this.
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
I love this pack too, but yes, my game crashes against certain bots, like Sentinel or original Coal miner, etc. Really good pack with some fine bots, but some pretty bad crashes kept me from enjoying it a lot.
I shouldn't have come here

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
It could be the version of RA2 you have...

Offline infiniteinertia

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:13:58 PM »
It could be the version of RA2 you have...

"copied it straight to a clean ra2 index"
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!  I am actually perplexed on what the exact issue was.  I did some small testing on a separate vanilla copy of RA2 and sending the files for the beta, but apparently there was something I must've glossed over.  This is the problem when you only really have like one or two people testing.  I'll look over it on the weekend, to see if I can get the crash issues working, as well as maybe kinda slightly update some bots I'm not the most proud of upon release (i.e. Mud Runner)

i'm noticing a pattern with my ai packs and i don't like it

Offline infiniteinertia

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
it was the custom smartzones. it took me a while to think of this as the issue.

might just wanna add at the top that the madiaba sz's are needed because if you are a n00b like me, you just may forget that you need them.

gonna explore the pack now.
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 03:35:06 AM »
it was the custom smartzones. it took me a while to think of this as the issue.

might just wanna add at the top that the madiaba sz's are needed because if you are a n00b like me, you just may forget that you need them.

gonna explore the pack now.
That probably explains why all the robots that crashed my game where bots that require smartzones. Good guess
I shouldn't have come here

Offline infiniteinertia

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
Overall, I love this AI pack after a thorough play through last night. There are a few AI bugs here and there, but overall I have very few complaints.

Offers for improvements:

1) Updated UI to give it a more sleek look. It is supposed to be a "restocked" version of the game, after all.
2) Something to replace the mindless HS bots (BEAR, LugNut, Tornado) with some designs that carry a bit more authenticity and feel.
3) There are a few bots I find to be on the weaker side, or a few that could use a slight tweak here or there. Ill keep a running list of these as I play more. Iceberg comes to mind, but that has always been a difficult rebuild.

anyways, love the AI pack, I recommend that everyone try it out. cheers.
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »
Overall, I love this AI pack after a thorough play through last night. There are a few AI bugs here and there, but overall I have very few complaints.

Offers for improvements:

1) Updated UI to give it a more sleek look. It is supposed to be a "restocked" version of the game, after all.
2) Something to replace the mindless HS bots (BEAR, LugNut, Tornado) with some designs that carry a bit more authenticity and feel.
3) There are a few bots I find to be on the weaker side, or a few that could use a slight tweak here or there. Ill keep a running list of these as I play more. Iceberg comes to mind, but that has always been a difficult rebuild.

UI is a major input for an AI pack. It gives an AI pack a distinctive "feel" to it.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »

Offers for improvements:

Thanks for the offers and such.  All are very valid suggestions and I will take into it.  To address some of the comments with some of my thought process:

1) I wasn't sure initially if I should give some sort of UI other than maybe the splash, but I'll certainly consider it and stir some ideas in my head for what I could do.
2) A lost of the HS bots were to try to pay a tribute to the older version, and I really do want to try and bring some sort of variety in the pack to give a challenge of all kinds.  The three you did list were ones I had to really find a balance with, especially BEAR, which I wanted to keep as similar to the Beta version to give some sort of formidable HW HS in the pack.  I might just remake that entirely to some hybrid with claws, but I really wasn't sure on how I could strike a balance.  It was really tricky to deliver both at times, especially when time is rather limited on my end.
3) This was inevitable.  There was no way I can make every bot nearly as good as the rest, but certainly a list could provide how I could tweak them.

And yeah, gonna need to overhaul the AI lines later.  Those really need some work as well.