Author Topic: RA2: Retooled  (Read 36341 times)

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RA2: Retooled
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
hey, it's got a name now, cool
also nice components as always

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
What are you planning on doing for the mod's baseplate anchors? Stock style, DSL style multiextenders or Ironforge no-collision anchors (or something different)? What about wedge/skirt components?

RA2 Retooled sounds cool, looking forward to seeing this develop, hopefully it unites the community away from DSL and IF rather than partitioning it further.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »
The baseplate anchors are currently similar to ironforge where you can place them almost anywhere. They have 0 weight and 0 collision. I actually showed them off already, but they've changed a bit since then and are a lot easier to use now than they were then.

Wedges/skirts are a bit mundane and I probably won't show them off since there isn't much to what's basically a triangle, but I'm thinking about giving them side APs so you can make dustpans easier.

hey, it's got a name now, cool
Yep!

Here's the logo:

It looks a lot better than the earlier logo I was using IMO.

There will be several components in the mod that have similar functions to already existing components, but have special properties that make them different. Think Super Smash Bros Melee here.

From the top, going clockwise:

The black extender is the Ski Extender (and is also the only non-CB2 component here). I've made it so that it doesn't take damage when hitting a wall or floor, as opposed to regular extenders and weapons that suffer damage while going bumble-ball mode. Being an extender, it won't do much damage, so you don't have to worry about unstoppable ski extender spam crawlers.

The blue N12 is similar to the regular N12, but has severely reduced resistance (basically traction, not to be reduced with grip which is a speed multiplier) to the point where you can actually drift with it. These aren't your dad's drifts either. These are MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING kinda drifts. Go fast enough into a drift and you'll slide across the arena. To offset this, it has slightly more HP as well. Same selection of sizes as the regular N12.

The sawblade is actually a full-fledged wheel. As in, it has a traction mesh and moves a lot faster than your average crawler when you put this on a drive motor. Being a sawblade, it also does damage to your opponent when you run over them or an enemy weapon hits them. Obviously it's not going to tear off any Slamhammers any time soon, since adding damage to a wheel means I have to take away grip and/or HP to keep it balanced, but damage is damage. Might be good for slow juggernaut spinners, who knows! It's not shown here, but it comes in 5 sizes, similar to the stock sawblade.

The beater-bar on the left is rusted and does frequency damage to opponents, like a typical sawblade-type component would. Except it's not a sawblade and you can use it on pushers to increase your DPS.

Some of these properties may transfer onto other components, albeit not to such an extreme degree.

up next: the rest of the RA1 stuff. Mainly wheels, decorations and some weapons. It's gonna be yuge. Expect a long post with a lot of pictures and words.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Ginsu wheel HYPE

also the drifting wheels sound like they'll be fun for SnS that want to pinball

Thanks for taking my name suggestion btw :)

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »
So..... Planning to make your own AIs for this?

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 06:37:35 AM »
this is looking superior to ironforge so far

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2016, 04:15:54 AM »
Cool

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2016, 06:16:24 AM »
When you see this thread in your unread list, only to see the only new post is a 1-word post by Wen.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:41 AM »
^sh**sux yo

up next: the rest of the RA1 stuff. Mainly wheels, decorations and some weapons. It's gonna be yuge. Expect a long post with a lot of pictures and words.
Got some of said RA1 stuff done.

A few notes about the components shown:

Wheels: These are referred to in the mod as "Rai Wheels" (Rai as in "Ra I"). The rubber tires are high grip and low HP, while the metallic ones are high HP and low grip. Tank treads are even higher HP and even lower grip, and are heavier. The metal Rai wheels and tank treads also do very slight damage. Not as much damage as the sawblade wheels I showed earlier, but it should still be enough to do some recoil damage to spinners. It's worth noting that wheels with damage have lowered grip to compensate.

Spiked ram and Battering ram: Comes in 3 sizes. Spiked ram varies from 22-66kg, while the battering ram varies from 44-132kg. Good for rammers and SnS.

Random crap: These are going into a new component category called "decorations", which replaces extras. Anything that you'd expect to be in extras (skirts, plows, armor plates, etc) will be moved to weapons or extenders, since almost every non-motor does damage now anyway. The large majority of decorations will be very light, as in "less than 10kg" light. Baseplate anchors weigh nothing, so you can almost always throw an extra decoration or two on just about any robot, even popups can throw a 1kg badgeplate on the back as filler armor, and horizontal spinners can put a transmitter on top of thier spinner.

btw, the camera is not a flamethrower. It's literally just a camera. Did I mention that decorations have some of the best HP:weight ratios in the mod? Because they do. I fully expect to see at least one camera spam AW.
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »
So I can make camera bot?

Nice work you done Mr. AS.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2016, 01:32:49 AM »
Plows and spikestrips.

(plow skins are temporary and I'll give them legit skins soon-ish)

They each come in 3 sizes, with the larger sizes being wider rather than outright larger.

You know the spike strips that nobody used seriously apart from that one bot Clickbeetle made? I went ahead and made them actually interesting to use, so now they're perfect for flippers and popups. Normally you have to throw on a bunch of small weapons in order to get good damage out of a popup, but a spike strip or two at the very most should provide decent damage. BTW, It's not shown, but there's 3 APs on the bottom of the spike strips. This means you can make those fake pistons that flippers use real easily without hassling with extenders too much.

The snowplow was already widely used in pretty much every mod out there, but the only problem is that they're gigantic and pretty much non-spammable, so I made the plows really heavy so you don't have to spam them. There are 3 sizes of the plow, and each size has 3 variants. Lightest plow weighs 30 (compare to stock's gigantic 16kg plow) and the heaviest plow weighs 270kg. For reference, the heaviest weapon in DSL weighs 75kg.
(edit: the snowplows are also more scoop-shaped and is more usable on flippers now)

Wide plows also mean you can do obnoxious stuff like this:

Wall of spikes vs wall of plows, who wins?

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:48 AM »
Wall of plows wins maybe?

Nice job Mr. AS

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2016, 02:12:07 AM »
Looking dope

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
Introducing the new (and improved) axle mount:

It has a attachment point for components on the top, in the middle and on the bottom. Think DSL's flail and ironforge's double axle mount combined into one convenient package. The only exception to this rule is the 360 degree mount, which only has a top and bottom AP.

Has 6 different styles, which change the angle limits of the axle. Compare to DSL's 4 styles.

They also do a slight bit of damage, which should be useful for flail SnS and the such. People building flail SnS should also keep in mind that popups/etc can also do retaliation damage to spinners with thier extenders and armor as well. Putting armor on your robot's rear may not sound as bad of an idea now as it does in stock, DSL or ironforge.

In addition, I've started building some of the AI opponents:

(top row, L to R: Anti-C (AW), Shrew (BW), Shatter Point (LW))
(bottom row, L to R: Spee-D (MW), Roboticide (HW), Search and Destroy XL (SHW, it's also a flamethrower))
These are currently the robots I have AI'd. I have a few more built, but not AI'd.

As you can see, I plan on having the AI be IRL-ish. I say "-ish" because there will be a few bots that are just there to show off some of the fancy cheatbot2 components. But they will still have a degree of realism to them, as well as present a fair challenge. Just don't expect anything Thyrus-tier.

I know some of you guys will inevitably ask "hey AS can I build a team", and the answer to that is yes and no. Not right now, but I'll likely start taking a few teams when I close in on the final release.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »
[Ra1Components.jpg]
You sick fuk, you actually ported RA1 components to RA2-

Can I just say that I adore the AI bots you've made so far? They have all the cheesyness of RA1 bots, combined with the sophisticated nature of RA2 bots, and it looks beautiful.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2016, 03:57:38 AM »
<3

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2016, 04:14:20 AM »
Good job

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »
Awesome Work! Mr. AS!

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »
it's finished?

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
it's finished?
What a convenient time to ask that question!

The answer is yes and no. I've reached a point where the mod is in a releasable state, but it's definitely not finished and I still have a good 50+% of the components that I want to get made. Mostly weapons, motors, and a few decorations+extenders here and there.

But first, here's some new stuff:

Car steering comes in two variants: single and dual. Dual car steering is similar to the stock car steering, but is able to fit into smaller chassis, and has been massively buffed. Dual car steering is twice as efficient as any other drive  motor, with the main drawbacks being it's massive weight (60, 75 and 90kg depending on which of the 3 versions you choose), and the fact that it's car steering and automatically gives your robot the turning circle of an 18 wheeler. Should be useful on rammers. Skin is just the default stock one, but that will change so that you can tell each of the versions apart from a glance. Single car steering was a real pain in the ass to make is a hybrid of a regular drive motor, and the car steering mechanic. It's lighter than dual car steering as well. Truth be told, you can theoretically just use these as regular drive motors, which is why it didn't receive the same buff that dual car steering did. Skin is the axle mount's skin, but what I said earlier about skins goes for this as well.

Yes, you can attach them externally. Yes, you can get them knocked off if they get hit too much.

Also, armors.

55 armor selections in total, obviously not all of them are shown here, but you've got Plastic 0.05, plastic 0.1-1, Plast/Alu/Ti/St 1 through 10, and steel 12-20. Weights increase in increments of 1 from 1 to 50, and then the heavier steels which increase in increments 10, which is really only usable on UHWs and above... or just plain old chassis wedges if that's your thing.  :dumb)

TL;DR between the excessive amount of chassis armors and ultralight decorations, you really don't have any excuse to not build to the weight limit.

So yeah, expect a release soon. I've been planning to release a beta for a while, and I think I'll be ready to put out a very early public beta-type this upcoming week. Maybe right after the new Battlebots episode, since everyone will be buzzing about the forum then.