Author Topic: RA2: Retooled  (Read 36342 times)

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
Re: Re: Mr. AS's Mod (yet to be named)
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
The longer motors should have more power ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
The longer motors should have more power ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
t-they do j-kun

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:55 AM »
Unfortunately, actually adding vertex points without 3DSM opens too many cans of worms with RA2 (mesh faces, texture mapping, etc) for a single component. Might be able to make the front bit scale with size and edit it to look like a belt, idk.

And if it wasn't clear, heavier usually = more power/more damage/more HP/whatever. I have a whole spreadsheet with balance equations for components and stuff.

Made all the batteries in one go. These are just rectangles so they're easier to work with (8 vertexes compared to the 68 a ztek has).

(not listed: control board, which is 5 KG and has the same collision as a medium battery pack, or 1 STGS)

The small battery packs are flat, and you can stack 4 of them on top of each other in a minimum height chassis (about 0.44 high), and 3 of them in a glitched minimum height chassis (about 0.33 high). Same goes for the control board. Nifties are as tall as 3 small battery packs. They're are mostly for robots with burst motors. Supervolts are 2 small battery packs tall and can easily power an entire spinner on thier own, and 1 or 2 36v supervolts can power a HW flipper/hammer/popup. You can put an additional small battery pack or the control board on top as well, unlike the nifties. The only battery here that isn't exactly 1, 2 or 4 STGS in width and length are the smallest battery packs, which don't even power a whole spin motor. They're 1/2 a STGS wide, and are basically only for making your robots more symmetrical. They all only have 1 AP, but there's really no need for more than that when you have this many options.

tl;dr batteries & control boards are smaller and can be easily put into a chassis using snap to grid

but AS what's the electotal of the batteries

There are none. Once you have enough batteries to fully power your robot, it should last the full match (the exact electotal of each battery is 999999999999). I think this'll make matches more exciting for the entire duration of the match, unlike in stock where it's only exciting for the first minute or so before it both robots start driving at a snails pace and do no damage to each other.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 01:44:37 AM »
Are you still making parts for rwra2? Or is this for a stock-style ironforge-esque mod?

Looks pretty cool either way
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 02:42:21 AM »
Are you planning to make this into a standalone mod? It looks super interesting and fun, I particularly like the battery changes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:26:19 AM by Badger »
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:38 AM »
so you went the opposite way than DSL 2.2... intredasting

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 02:54:20 AM »
Some of these parts may or may not get into RWRA2. Some of the weapons might, but I probably won't put any batteries or motors in. That's mainly because I used a different spreadsheet for balancing the RWRA2 components than I did for balancing this stuff. But yeah, I'm intending to release these components as a TC mod after I've made enough. Mostly using this thread as a previews/update thread.

After I make all the basic components you need to make a robot, I'll likely release a really early beta. At first it'll seem like "oh it's just ironforge with different components, no1 cares m8". But I have my own set of self-imposed rules in mind, mainly concerning cheatbot2 and IRL-style building. I'll list it in full as time goes on and when said release drops.

Anyway, I got the pistons done.

The numbers are the lengths in STGS. Pistons have been moderately buffed compared to thier stock counterparts, but they're not ironforge-level of crazy OP where they shoot your robot across the entire arena.
Weights range from the small 12 kg piston to the hefty 60 kg piston. The longer+heavier pistons are obviously more powerful. With the 12 kg piston, you might be able to make an AW poker.
Has there even been a decent AW poker, ever? I think Reier made a 1WD one in ironforge this one time, but that's pretty much it.
The main downside to spamming small pistons, however is that they have very little range compared to the larger pistons. The longest piston shoots your weapons 5 STGS forward, while the smallest one only shoots them out 1 STGS forward. That's a little less than those storm pistons in DSL that nobody uses.
I also made the piston shafts heavier so that the larger ones (probably) won't havok OOTA if you look at them funny.

And the air tanks:

Basically like the batteries, but instead of having infinite total air and a limited airmaxinoutrate, they have infinite airmaxinoutrate and limited total air, kind of like the DSL 2.2 batteries like Naryar said.

BTW, it's not in the picture, but I'm going to reskin the air tanks and call them "gas tanks". Doesn't feel right calling them CO2 tanks when you have flippers that can't even use them.  :dumb)

edit:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »
Well, if you need help with anything for this ASTC Mod or whatever you want to call it, then let me know of what I can do.

Anyway, these batteries, air tanks and especially the pistons look pretty cool.  Also, is the control board really tiny or are those pistons so damn massive?

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 11:44:23 AM »
I'm slowly becoming a fan of this. Really like the looks of the components so far, although the skins on them could do with some metallic overlays or something to give them that extra graphical fidelity.

Is the collision mesh on the gas tanks reliable? The amount of headaches I've had accross Stock and Ironforge where the tank doesn't fit into the space I think it should is suprisingly high, so a nice reliable mesh would be sweet-as.

Also willing to help out in this mod with component/arena mapping.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
nice job on these parts man. zteks especially.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 12:56:15 AM »
Control board is just really small. If you use snap to grid and make a 1x1 square, it should fit inside that square. The bigger pistons are also fairly large. Around half the size of the gigantic ironforge pistons, but has a lot more power for it's weight.
Collision mesh on some of the gas tanks is actually a bit shorter than you think it would be, but that's easily fixable.

All of the standard wheels will have at least 3 sizes/variations. I'm not doing anything too exciting with wheels otherwise. The N12 in particular will have 2 extra sizes that I'll whip up later, because those two larger wheels in the picture are way too big.

I don't know if I want to make the larger wheels be outright bigger like in the pic or be wider like in ironforge. What do you guys think?

(note: the other visible attachment point is used to attach things to the bottom of your chassis)
Baseplate anchors are much more simplified than they are in DSL or ironforge. All the attachment points you need are in a simple one-component-fits-all package instead of having to scroll through a list of BAs at different angles and upside down BAs at different angles. Yes, 0 kg on the baseplate anchor is intentional. It's so you can use cleaner extender work instead of worrying about how many baseplate anchors you're using.

Now that wheels are a-go, here's the first showcased robot made in (whatever name I decide to give this thing).

:dance:

When I start making the AI, this robot will likely be a placeholder for robots not yet made, hence the name.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 11:19:03 PM »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
CAR STEERING

outside control board with radio receiver ?

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
The flag from RA1?

i played way too much ra1 as a kid.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »
Ra1 flag or antenna

DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
next do the utterly OP radio jammer :D

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
R2D2

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Flag or maybe a motor with a really long axle like the long axle e-teks or astros
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »
Yep, it's the competition flag from RA1. Although you were close with R2D2, kind of. I guess.

People seemed to forget that Serge's decompiler was able to decompile RA1 components. Although there are a few problems that come with it, which is probably why there was never any kind of "RA1 components pack" around to download.

• Since RA1 and RA2 use a slightly different way of structuring thier .gmf formats, if you try to recompile a decompiled RA1 .gmf for use in RA2, you'll get an error from the compiler or the game will crash when you go to use the component.
  • The vertexes for freshly decompiled RA1 .gmf are something like 20x larger than any kind of reasonable size.
  • The textures for the RA1 components kind of look like crap, but just that's my personal opinion.
  • I haven't imported any moving parts yet, but I could imagine those having functionality problems when imported into RA2. RA1 didn't have any motors, you just put a preset hammer or saw rack on a preset attachment point on the chassis and that was that.
  • Occasionally, an RA1 component will have a mesh_face or two missing, but it only seems to be in places that you won't have any business caring about, like the very back.

Here's a list of what RA1 components I think would work in RA2:

But yeah, with flags you'll be able to have RA1-esque flag matches. Of course these flag matches would either be self-regulated or require a lot of .py programming, since RA2 doesn't have a flag match mode. They're also great for decorations on non-invertible wedged robots flippers and hammers.
(Notice I didn't mention "popups". I have nerfs special plans in mind for popups.)

I also imported the spiked ram component, just as an example of a useful weapon you can import instead of just a decoration.

Since this is RA2 and not RA1, I can also add attachment points on the side and make it so you can stack them on each other like you can with sawblades to make a giant spike rack.

I haven't made it into multiple sizes or adapted it to the whole "snap to grid squares" thing I have going on yet, but that'll come later.

I'm also probably going to hold off on importing a ton of RA1 stuff into RA2 until I've made more motors and extenders to attach the RA1 stuff on.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 10:59:47 PM »
sick
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier