Author Topic: RA2: Retooled  (Read 36346 times)

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RA2: Retooled
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
I'm super impressed with this, and with you for sticking with it. I'd love to see a tournament with this once it's ready to go.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
Wew lads. Got some more components done:

The casters can't attach to the chassis.

New armor plate (plexiglass), and two new extenders (plastic and steel). This brings the total armor plate count up to 3 sets, and total extender count up to 4 sets. I also ironed out a whole bunch of errors that the 2 existing extenders had.

Also notable are the prebuilt drums. Unlike the existing drums and beater bars, it comes in one easy-to-use component, rather than attaching each beater bar on individually, although each method will have its advantages and disadvantages. There are 2 types of prebuilt drum are the toothed drums and the chewdrums. Toothed drums operate pretty much identically to regular beater+drum-extender drums, but the chewdrums have frequency and a round collision, since they're sawblades.

They're also a lot heavier than your standard drums:

(note: the toothed drums are a bit small right now, they will be made larger before the beta drops)

The reason why they're so heavy is so that you don't have to spam them. A 360 kg drum will last a lot longer than 4x 80kg ones attached to each other.

Also made some status meters to replace the DSL ones:

Image is pretty self-explanatory, but a few things to note are:
-The gas meter and the armor meter have transparent backgrounds. As they run out, you'll be able to see through the meter.
-Since all batteries have infinite electotal, the battery meter will never go down. Instead, robots with no batteries will display "No power!".
-The armor meter has this weird red tint I can't get rid of. I think it might the code for the armor meter might be in the .exe.

Right now the tentative release date for the beta is anywhere from the 21st at the earliest, to the 31st at the very latest. I'm also going back to college on the 28th or so, so progress will slow down a bit from there. It's really a beta in name only, since it will contain all the essential components to make your robits and riboots and whatever. Anything I add afterwards is mostly just icing on the cake to make life easier. Reason why I'm calling it a "beta" is because the AI will still be a few teams short of the standard 15.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:41:30 PM by Mr. AS »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »
"oh that's nice"
for real though, good stuff. I'd be interested in a tournament with this mod when it gets in a stable release.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
I have heard from many sources this has been cancelled, is that true?

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:28 PM »
I have heard from many sources this has been cancelled, is that true?
That is false. In fact, here's the beta for Retooled:

https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/1247Retooled_Beta_Patch.rar
Paste over either a clean version of RA2 or the Retooled Alpha
(standalone version will be up when the uploader stops 500'ing, or when I decide to put it on MEGA)
edit: https://mega.nz/#!ogE0kYjT!j93YRURG4M54_4n7coD1UlZtefbcfXJ11zhchkmtwQE

=Alpha --> Beta Patch Notes=
-Added several components.
   -Currently ~70% complete with default components, 40-60% complete with cheatbot2 components
   -These numbers are rough estimates and don't take into account any components that get left on the cutting room floor
-Added 3 AI teams.
   -This brings the total to 6.
   -Also gave Deconstruction Crew a SHW, replacing KILL BOX.
   -The Hive's SHW has been omitted until I can figure out TopKnot.py
-Replaced the leftover ASAI teams entirely with KILL BOX.
   -The mottos have been removed, and the team names changed to "(COMING SOON)"
-Reduced armor count from 55 to 40.
-Nerfed weapons with normals.
   -Single point normals had damage multiplier changed from x2.0 --> x1.30
   -Multi point normals had damage multiplier changed from x1.5 --> x1.15
-Reduced Slamhammer DP:HP ratio from 1.5 to 1.05
   -Damage was reduced, while HP was increased.
-Burst motor retract speed doubled.
-Added an extra AP to the RAD motor.
-Armored Flamethrower/Magnet/Cannon are now color-coded.
-Armored flamethrower is now a default component.
-Treads and tread motors have been messed around with.
-There were only 2 types of armor plate and 2 types of extender, there are now 3 and 4 respectively.
   -Extenders: Added steel and plastic
   -Armor plates: Added plexiglass
-The following components have had bugfixes applied to them:
   -RAD motor's top and bottom APs moved, wheels on RAD motors are now vertically even.
   -Hinge can no longer attach outside the chassis.
   -The extenders were riddled with errors and typos. This is no longer the case.
   -Fixed the Large Birdbox's axle AP
-Also turns out that I forgot to include the texture library folder in the alpha. Whoops.
-A few component skins have been updated by 090901

Known issues:
-A few components have cosmetic issues, but this does not affect thier function.
-The Hive and E-Rupters don't have team images.

To do:
-Fool around with wheel resistance
-Add an extra AP to the Piston
-Edit UI further

Where to go from here:
-I feel that there are now enough components in the default selection and the Extreme Mode (cheatbot2) selection to form a metagame.
-For the next update (release date unknown), I may focus less on components and more on arenas, if I can get those figured out.

"Thanks, and have fun" - Gabe Newell

EDIT: There is a component that if you use them on a bot in the beta, it will not work properly when I update the game. Here is what e_anchor.txt is supposed to look like: The Beta.1 patch fixes this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:52:03 PM by Mr. AS »
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2016, 06:53:19 PM »
Thank you for a download link for Retooled Beta. ;)

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
DP:
issue:
The Hive 6th bot is missing

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
DP:
issue:
The Hive 6th bot is missing
As it says in the release notes
   -The Hive's SHW has been omitted until I can figure out TopKnot.py

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
Here is a hotpatch to fix a few bugs that were found: https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/3742beta_1.rar

It's also in the OP.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
is it stable enough to start building something for GCS?
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
As far as I know, it is, all the components(minus a few unfinished ones) are already balanced from what I've heard, so get building :P
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »
Made my first arena, it's a heavily edited version of the BBEANS arena.

It's called the GTM Championship Arena. Real creative name, I know. You'll see this one in action either in the upcoming GTMC, or the next one, depending on yugitom.

All of the corners of the arena (including the walls) have ramps, which can do some serious damage if hit hard enough. 2 of the 4 corners also have spinners. These spinners are slow to get up to speed, but have a high top speed, and weigh 300kg each. Getting hit by one of these at the wrong angle can lead to massive damage (right now it does up to 2K-3K on a good hit) and possibly even an OOTA.

After 2 minutes and 45 seconds, the walls protecting the robots from the OOTA zone will lower*, leading to a sudden death situation.

If you want some measurements to test your robots with, the arena is as large as the BBEANS arena (not surprising), the walls are slightly higher than the DSL tourney arena, and the spinners are a bit faster/punt-ier than the Containment Cube's spinners when they're up to speed.

inb4
release plz
The arena is still being slightly tweaked, and will be up until signups close; it will be released after the first GTMC. It will also be included in the next release of Retooled, along with whatever other arenas I make, and an updated version of the Vaporzone (unless 090901 says otherwise)

*unless you turn hazards off, in which case they won't lower. The spinners will still be on, though. Otherwise you'd just have a box.

Short answer: yes, long answer: there's a few cosmetic bugs that I should be able to sort out, but other than that, yeah. It won't crash or anything.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:43:58 PM by Mr. AS »

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
did you make sure reenable the collision of the floor GEOOBJECT in the Rigidbody section so hovercrafts work? (atleast thats why i believe they dont work on the BBEANS arena.)

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »
What's the intended metagame for this? Unrealistic or standard?
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2016, 05:53:22 AM »
another note one the arena, maybe change the colors of the spinners so they stand out.

What's the intended metagame for this? Unrealistic or standard?
DSL-Standard style, however I do believe Extreme mode will be used for the Championship.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »
Ok, two questions.
1: Why are all the components (besides the super weak ones for AW) so dang heavy?

2: Do hammer motors offer advantages over snappers besides the greater range of motion, and more importantly, how do I AI them?

On a purely positive note, thise ballasts that help you build for alternative weight classes are awesome and should be in every mod.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Am I doing something wrong with hovercraft? They just glitch all over the place and fly through walls etc...
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »
1. There's a lot of heavy components to help make IRL builds more combat effective. You can't weapon spam on IRL bots, so you can put a few heavy spikes on and retain realism. Quite a few of the AI bots make use of this.

2. Hammer motors are the equivalent of DSL's geared betas, and are AI'd the same way (electrichammer.py). I feel they're a bit weak though, so they may get buffed. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

I'm looking into hovercrafts havoking, part of it is RA2 being RA2 (see: stock HS) and another part is axles being heavy to prevent non-flyers from havoking. Not sure if I will be able to do much about it. My advice for now is to simply use a larger, non-batterybox chassis like you would for a havoking DSL or Ironforge bot.

Just as a note, I haven't forgotten about this. I fully intend on working on new arenas, rebalancing and mechanics for the next patch.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2016, 02:30:09 AM »
Hi. Over the past couple of months, I've been juuust busy enough with college that I haven't been able to pump out monthly patches as I initially intended. However, I've gotten some free time recently and have started work on the next version.

Various bugfixes and rebalances have either been planned out or have already happened. Example:

The discs and plates have had thier lighting and attachment points fixed. If you remember the discs/plates in the alpha and beta of Retooled, they were completely black most of the time, and the larger discs had cruddy APs that were sunk something like halfway into the disc.

New UI background that's far less blinding than the one currently in there:

I'm not sure if I'll be doing much to the rest of the UI, honestly. I might just scrap everything sans the backgrounds and keep the DSL stuff. Depends if I can get a good feel for how the UI should be without it looking like "Baby's First UI Mod".

King of the Hill mode has also been "Retooled".

Yep. The close-quarters 4-player smash-em bash-em robo-sumo game mode is back. Remember how the Lumazone has low walls that totally look like you could chuck a robot out for an easy win, only for it to bounce off an invisible wall? Well...

I've removed the invisible walls so that OOTAs can actually happen.

This is the first stock arena that I've fixed up to be more entertaining. Although not much has been changed model-wise, most of the edits are in the functionality. The Lumazone is one of the few arenas in stock that was fairly balanced to begin with. I do intend on messing with at least a few other stock arenas to make them more tournament-friendly, and hopefully we'll see some stock arenas in tournaments that aren't the usual combat zone/electric arena.

I've also went ahead and removed the immobility timer from the arena. In turn, this also disables the in-game clock. So I've had to go ahead and slightly change the overall objective of the mode.

Normally in KOTH mode, whenever there's one robot on the hill, they gain 10 points about every quarter of a second, and whoever has the most points at the end of the match wins. In Retooled's KOTH mode, being the only one on the hill will damage other robots.

Damage won't be dealt so long as there's 0 or >1 robots on the hill at once. You'll know robots are being damaged from the usual DING DING noises that plays when 1 robot's on the hill. Damaging robots also speeds up the match significantly, since robots spinning around with a single wheel in the corner (there's usually at least 1 in a 4-way KOTH match) that usually steer clear of immobilization will be eliminated by the damage instead.

I only just got all the necessary bits of code working to damage robots about an hour or 2 ago, so there's still some room for adjustments before release. The exact amount of damage that's dealt will likely be adjusted, for one. An AW with plastic 1 taking constant damage will go down much, much quicker than a SHW with upwards of steel 5 or titanium 10. I've also thought about giving the center of the arena some healing factor for the robots regardless of how many robots are currently on the hill, but that may just artificially extend matches for no good reason. I want to do something with the center of the arena, and simply rewarding points is out of the question because you literally can't do anything with them, given the frozen timer.

BTW the ground hover's removed from the game. For now at least. Any robots made with it will still load, you just can't access it in the botlab. It will very likely be tourney illegal too. A second option for the hovercraft may come back in some other form, but GTMC is pretty clear indication that there's glaring (read: probably near-unfixable due to dumb .exe hardcoded programming) issues specifically targeting ground hovers. Seriously, what kind of wackjob programming bases hovercraft speed with frames per second only when the robot is touching the ground??? At least it's better than some of RA3's various anomalies.

TL;DR=
-you can OOTA now
-no more immobility
-do you like hurting other robots?
-stuff might change
-bye ground hover. don't let the door smack your ass on the way out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:45:05 PM by Mr. AS »

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2016, 06:02:03 AM »
This is awesome! I cant wait for the next patch to be released.