Author Topic: Community Builds IRL Pack (Ideas and Brainstorming Phase)  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
Community Builds IRL Pack (Ideas and Brainstorming Phase)
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:58:57 AM »
Ok, so I need to type this out quickly before heading to a exam, so I'll make this quick.

Basically what I was thinking was "is Live Designs gonna happen, and could we have an alternative to that if it doesn't?" I didn't fancy asking Badnik, as the more you poke someone to do something, the more they get pissed off. (See: The Asbestosstar/Collosseum Debacle). Also, a notable problem I feel that has been around GTM for a while is that once you win a tournament, that's great bragging rights, but it doesn't stay. That may be being changed with the GTMCS tournament and the ribbons that apparently will be attached to people's profiles if they win, but I think another good idea would be to have tournament entries automatically added to this pack; This way, anyone can fight or work with the robots that have been entered into tournaments, see how they were built so that they can either clone it or take inspiration (cloning a good robot means you might understand how to build it better than simply being told how to build it), and can then compare what other members have made to yours.

Also, another thing is that when you showcase something, it stays there, all that happens is that people come along, say either "that's sh**", "that's meh lets improve it" or "that's some cool sh**", and then the robot is forgotten shortly after.

However, if you enter that into a AI pack that everyone uses for IRL, whether that ends up being this or Live Designs 2.0, everyone can see it repeatedly and can fight it. This could potentially lead to your building being recognised, or if it's not too the highest of standards, people can call it out and  the builder can improve on it.

Hence, doing a community AI pack, where every member can submit a robot (though this is more suited for helping bad members improve and good members showing how it's done), should be a good idea.

Also, I don't think this needs to be restricted to IRL. If people want to do a Community Builds DSL-S/Stock/Ironforge AI pack, simply do it. I literally stole this idea from Badnik without even asking him and tacked on some additional ideas, so go ahead and copy my copy.

(sorry badnik)

Also, doing a community league where each month a different tournament or task is run, such as one month being a Stock HW build, one month being DSL-S month, etc. (or 2 months if we need more of a timeframe for the host, tho i'd love to do the host.) would be a interesting idea as we could then have the new guys branching out from IRL and into other metas so that they have a chance of winning the league, as the league would not just stick to one meta.

anyways enough rambling i need to get off the computer soon so heres my thoughts, reply with thoughts on how this may work and if it'll be a good idea.

Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Community Builds IRL Pack (Ideas and Brainstorming Phase)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 01:15:24 AM »
is Live Designs gonna happen

yes

i was literally on my way to open submissions when i stumbled upon this thread

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
Re: Community Builds IRL Pack (Ideas and Brainstorming Phase)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:24:57 AM »
cool
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.