Author Topic: Question on ARENA MODDING  (Read 984 times)

Offline philetbabe

• Rep: 2
  • Drop D
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Question on ARENA MODDING
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:18:42 AM »
hi there,

Here  is my problem : i've made a gmf that contains 3 maces called mace1, mace2 and Mace3 (decompiled with Serge's and compile with GMFv49 - it works fine)

the gmf is set in the forlder RA2/arenas/mace/

each time i called     :  
Code: [Select]
self.AddXtra("Obstacle", "Arenas\\mace\\mace1.gmf", "metal")
in any arena.py, i can see my 3 maces.

That is fine because it seems to be an easy way to import objects into arena without having to mod that arena.gmf.

here is my question : i would like to control those imported objects from my arena.py but how could i reference and apply action (function) to them ? : i don't know how to encapsulate them inside "hinge "or "prismatic" -seems to crash RA2-.
Thank's for your answer.

here is the mace1.gmf file :
https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/mace.rar

Offline Madiaba

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:29:10 AM »
We (all coders I've talked with, along with myself) don't think that can be done, Phil. IMHO it's because the gmf objects need to be present and load via def "_init_", "Activate" and/or "Hazards" to be recognized by the py.

I once tried importing the "self.AddXtra..." file initially, but couldn't get the python to recognize it, so as to introduce some dynamics to the added gmf. This is why I had to integrate the House bots into the arena I made for Wham; because I could not control the geomobjects if the were 'self.AddXtra' added in.
(To make 4 diferent housebots I had to make 4 different whole arena.gmfs, and then put in a random generator at _init_ to select one of those 4 arena.gmfs at start up; and wrote the functional part of the py to look for and control those particular housebot geomobjects in the arena.gmf that was loaded).
That's what I've run into so far Phil.

Note: Another wall I've run into is keybaord ('raw') input while in the game. I , Goose, FB, CB, Serge tried and I think Trov tried, but no one has seen a way to do it....yet.
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline philetbabe

• Rep: 2
  • Drop D
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »
Thank's mad,  i will no long  exhaust myself on this point.

Offline Madiaba

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
Phil, I'm not saying it cannot be done somehow, but only that I (and some others) don't know if or how it could be done.  If you want to try (especially the keyboard inputting) then go for it.  
Behind the scenes and some on line, the coders(esp. me) are picking each others brains often... Trov and I are working on a garage tweek, hopefully for DSL3... but it's a secret.  So your insights and work are greatly appreciated.
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...