Author Topic: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion  (Read 34941 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
Still not sure why Pack 3 has that error, when the first two packs don't. What exactly is the nature of the 'fix' TGM?
Different format (Zip, instead rar)

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Having missed this discussion the first time around, let me throw a couple tidbits in the ring.

I think a new TC is really, at this point, almost needed to further push this DSL-IRL building style that you've helped create even further. We're at the point now where some of the stuff included in DSL 2.2, and they way they are organized, is getting in the way of what people are trying to accomplish. You've shown time and time again that you have the right ideas when it comes to solving these problems. I think your UI looks great. I think your packs have been hugely successful. And I think you have a lot of great ideas when it comes to building a new TC for the next era of RA2. (And a small aside, your UI looks great fam)

If you were to once again take up the initiative, I would consider including external files and programs commonly used by people in IRL building when possible. ObjRA2, Sergepatcher, things like that with permission of the creators. The more of these you can round up and get in once place, the easier it is for players of any experience level to dive right in.

And I know you said you wanted to get as much of it done as possible on your own, but I would suggest that there are tons of people around still who would be more than willing to help you take on the project.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
Having missed this discussion the first time around, let me throw a couple tidbits in the ring.

I think a new TC is really, at this point, almost needed to further push this DSL-IRL building style that you've helped create even further. We're at the point now where some of the stuff included in DSL 2.2, and they way they are organized, is getting in the way of what people are trying to accomplish. You've shown time and time again that you have the right ideas when it comes to solving these problems. I think your UI looks great. I think your packs have been hugely successful. And I think you have a lot of great ideas when it comes to building a new TC for the next era of RA2. (And a small aside, your UI looks great fam)

If you were to once again take up the initiative, I would consider including external files and programs commonly used by people in IRL building when possible. ObjRA2, Sergepatcher, things like that with permission of the creators. The more of these you can round up and get in once place, the easier it is for players of any experience level to dive right in.

And I know you said you wanted to get as much of it done as possible on your own, but I would suggest that there are tons of people around still who would be more than willing to help you take on the project.

I agree with killer don't go and do this by your self it's to big of a task. I would recommend getting ideas from builders about what they think is most needed in a pack like this and what they should do in the game e.g stats and physics. Also get in touch with bot builders to find out what real life objects could be used for the game
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline moziet

• rat
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • why does code get a pink name and not me :o(
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: moziet#6338
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2018, 02:27:20 AM »
jump jump jump jump

Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/dsl-tc-showcases/moz-fails-at-dsl/
Tournaments:

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:00 AM »
I agree with everything Kill says, and I'm more than willing to help out with this project if possible. I mainly do 3D Modelling, so if you need any component work doing, there you go. ^^

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
1 order of polycarbonate square extenders please.
Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
Seconding hop for square polycarb extenders. Makes sense since there's round ones and plates but no square extenders of the variety for some reason.

Shorter antennae would also be neat but that may just be my own personal boner for antennae showing.

APs on the edges of triangle plates so you can put wedge edges on them would be neat too. I did figure out a hanky ass way to do it with CF extenders but a proper way to would be neato
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline moziet

• rat
  • Antweight
  • why does code get a pink name and not me :o(
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: moziet#6338
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2018, 06:29:59 AM »
Aw dang, another problem.

In the fix that I was given, clicking on some parts [Ex. White extenders] crashes the game. :^(
jump jump jump jump

Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/dsl-tc-showcases/moz-fails-at-dsl/
Tournaments:

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
Thats a really smart Idea for a shell spinner and ring spinner pip  :claping

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
I'll be combing through posts for stuff regarding IRL 4 (or IRL TC - I'll have a decision on that some point soon (probably after the Burgess Hill event at the end of this month)

Regarding shell spinners, and the shell parts, I am proposing a slight change from what we have currently. Craig/Cephalopod was the inspiration for this idea, so thanks to him, I think it's a good one:

First off, everything will have a few more polys and mapped completely. Probably will offer all the IRL base colours, and maybe some 'theme' sets. Will come in 4-5 sizes but won't be strictly 100cm/150cm etc Each disc will have 8 APs on the edges, for other uses than shell spinners.

Shell parts will be bigger and cover 1/4 of the disc. they will have an AP point facing inward for attching to the disc, and three facing outward on the top/middle /bottom.  Will still have flat and sloped versions as shown.  This will drop the amount of APs on a shell spinner drastically, so people aren't inclined to put large typhoon teeth on every available panel and AP.

There will also be a single AP on the top and bottom of each shell piece, so people can stack them to create more complex shell shapes. This is just one example.

Also possibly making cone-shaped pieces for Typhoon-style bots. Will have a flat top and not a point as shown.

As well as having normal/armoured/heavy versions of the discs, there will also be some cosmetic choices. I will also include ring spinner discs for peak IRL-ness. The AP points will still be in the middle obv.

All of these changes are to make shells more visually appealing, more customisable, and help reduce AP spam that people moan about. Regarding Pip's idea, I believe the stacking idea is already covered. Thinner parts could also be useful, so if people would like those I'll consider modelling them as well.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »
Brilliant work as per usual!
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
You are a god my dude

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
So my idea is to remove the supports in the disc components and replace them with APs, this would allow players to build their own supports, thus adding more customisability to shell spinners. Also 20cm panels for shells
Things I did & done

Offline Tashic

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »
Awesome, I can see those rings being very usefull in normal spinners as well.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2018, 06:20:32 AM »
 Sorry if this has been mentioned before but is there any idea of making Hydraulic type motors, something like VDMA's but they work slower? If this makes sense

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2018, 09:29:29 AM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but is there any idea of making Hydraulic type motors, something like VDMA's but they work slower? If this makes sense
Slow movement but super torquey? I'd dig it.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
A plan is plotting

ah ye, motors are bearings actually

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Idea to make the armour plates a bit more versatile. How about adding a thin triangle component that could be added to the sides of wedges that could allow them to curve? Like, a 10 degree curve per triangle and you can chain them together to make it curve more. That way we could make our own scoops and have wedges that also curve into wheelguards.