Author Topic: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion  (Read 34394 times)

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:44:31 PM »

Click the big splash images to download each pack!

July 16th 2017:
- Pack Three has been released

BUGS:
     - Battlepacks crashing the game - FIXED

- As there are now over 4,800 new files added, some typos and errors may have crept in. If you see anything that is broken or out of place, please report it in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:12:24 AM by dragonsteincole »

Offline cephalopod

Re: IRL Components - Pack One: Extenders
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
These are also fully legal for GTM:RW.
Such an awesome development, thanks DSC!
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
Can we please make this a legal/standart for DSL 2.2?
I wanted something like this for a long time

Good job DSC!

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
Can we please make this a legal/standart for DSL 2.2?
I wanted something like this for a long time

Good job DSC!
Thank you.  :smile:

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »
NICE.

Great work, DSC.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
Glorious

if I had any intention of building in RA2 anymore I would use the sh** out of these

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:12:38 PM »
Looking ahead, Pack Two is going to be Armour Plates, which will be another set of items in 12 colours. However, Pack Three is going to focus on the DSL Discs (and other discs and hexplates). Alongside the 12 colours (which may be the default colours for all packs), I want to include up to as many designs for the discs as well. For example. 13 Black, Minion and Hypnodisc-styled DSL Discs. Possibly Nightmare as well.

What i'd like from you, the lovely GTM audience, are suggestions for any other famous discs to include in this pack, they can be from RW, Battlebots, member's bots, Yin-Yang symbols, anything within reason, and anything that will look good on a DSL Disc.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
What i'd like from you, the lovely GTM audience, are suggestions for any other famous discs to include in this pack, they can be from RW, Battlebots, member's bots, Yin-Yang symbols, anything within reason, and anything that will look good on a DSL Disc.
Little eye discs would be cool.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 06:29:26 PM »
Already mentioned it in that little PM conversation that we had, but a feature I had planned for my mod. Heck if this continues I might as well never make that thing because everything already exists for DSL.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »
Already mentioned it in that little PM conversation that we had, but a feature I had planned for my mod. Heck if this continues I might as well never make that thing because everything already exists for DSL.
I'm sorry if you think this way, I don't think this is intruding on anything you have planned, and I don't think these mods are competing either. The idea for these packs is to purely add visual variety and choice to people who make IRL bots, and to allow them to be tournament-friendly as well. What you are trying to is a lot more interesting in scope. :smile:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
I'm sorry if you think this way, I don't think this is intruding on anything you have planned, and I don't think these mods are competing either. The idea for these packs is to purely add visual variety and choice to people who make IRL bots, and to allow them to be tournament-friendly as well. What you are trying to is a lot more interesting in scope. :smile:
Nah, it's not intruding and I'm not seeing this as negative(quite the opposite actually, it's nice that people finally have this choice and thanks for making this), just meant that if planned things(that new building style, smarter AI and all that) start to appear more and more, I'm sure that people will question why my mod should even be played if everything is already available.

There's zero reason for me to be negative or against this, it's not a "unique idea" that was "stolen" from me, heck you even got the idea before I started talking about the mod.
Hoping that this will be a new tournament standard.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »
IMPORTANT

Pack One was re-uploaded to the Downloads section, to fix an issue with 10cm and 20cm extenders having the same stats. Re-download and overwrite files in order to fix. This will NOT break existing bots using those components. And the whole pack is ****in' 2MB in size, you have time to spare re-downloading it.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
uh... is this how it's supposed to look?

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
So far, the Extenders have seemingly been universally liked, with a number of tournaments already using them, and some amazing designs being created already. So firstly, I want to thank everyone who has downloaded and used these, and thank the tournament hosts who have put their support behind this.
Anyone who has made a bot with these packs and wants to submit a screenshot for use in the OP (as an example), please let me know, as I would appreciate allowing more people to see what is possible.

However, there has been one common recurring suggestion of the packs, and that is the amount of time to create something with them. This is something I have experienced too, and I want to gauge the feeling towards an idea for re-organising Pack 1, and how future packs will be sorted.

The Situation
Currently, items are sorted by their component type. So all round, square and angled extenders have their own dropdown menu, containing all the colours. And those same components have their armour variants as well. But overall, this only adds 9 icons to the menu, which I feel is a small amount and goes towards not turning every menu into essentially what 'DSL Cheatbot2 Extras' is, which is a ****ing ridiculous size.

The Problem
The current issue seems to be that it takes a long time to go through those dropdown menus, to get to the right colour, and having to constantly do so if you're changing colours/components for a design. Another issue is that dropdown menus would start to get into the hundreds with the armour panels coming in Pack 2, which is a ridiculous amount.

The solution?
The solution that has come about, which may have been originally suggested by 090901, is to group everything by colour per component type. So for example, all red extender components (by that I mean anything in the Extenders Menu) would be listed under one icon, and so on and so forth. At the moment this would mean 12 icons, which is still not bad, but this number is likely to increase in the future. It would also mean that all different armour types would be in one menu, which I want people to take notice of and be careful about.

The Effects
If people approve of switching to this new method, it would require me taking IRL Pack 1 down to reorganise, and would require everyone to uninstall the old version, and reinstall the new version. Thats a given. And people currently using the packs for tournaments obviously need not worry about this.

Other stuff
At the same time, I would probably remove the Aluminium and Titanium Angled Extenders, as it's been pointed out the originals all shared the same stats regardless of armour type. So it'll hopefully cut down on component lists a little.

TL;DR
1. Submit pics of your bots using IRL Extenders, to go in the OP.
2. Components may be sorted by colour for future packs; Pack 1 will be updated to match this.
3. Two redundant sets of angled components will be removed, or at least dummied out.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »
I would carefully look at how big the pack would be in total as the other things do add up(then again armor plates are in a different category) another thing I was thinking about recently(we talked about it before and on possible ways on doing the menus), was to group it by color type, so lime, green and cyan for example would be in the same category, and so would light normal and dark blue.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 04:58:37 PM »
Sorting them by color would probably be better at the end of the day. I'd agree that the drop-down menus are a bit annoying to scroll through.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack Two: Armour Released
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

Pack Two: Armour has been released, and Pack One: Extenders has been updated.

Please see the OP on Page 1 for download links and instructions.

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
Woo hoo! Thanks DSC.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »
If I haven't installed the 1.0 version of the extenders, do I have to patch that in first then the 1.1, or can I just go straight to the 1.1?
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
If I haven't installed the 1.0 version of the extenders, do I have to patch that in first then the 1.1, or can I just go straight to the 1.1?

You can install straight from 1.1. Those instructions are just incase you already made bots using the Pack.
I have taken 1.0 down anyway so it can't be downloaded in future too.