Author Topic: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion  (Read 34396 times)

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack One: Extenders
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 05:24:39 PM »
Looking ahead, Pack Two is going to be Armour Plates, which will be another set of items in 12 colours. However, Pack Three is going to focus on the DSL Discs (and other discs and hexplates). Alongside the 12 colours (which may be the default colours for all packs), I want to include up to as many designs for the discs as well. For example. 13 Black, Minion and Hypnodisc-styled DSL Discs. Possibly Nightmare as well.

What i'd like from you, the lovely GTM audience, are suggestions for any other famous discs to include in this pack, they can be from RW, Battlebots, member's bots, Yin-Yang symbols, anything within reason, and anything that will look good on a DSL Disc.
I may be a bit late for this, but for the sake of my Battlebots modpack, would it be possible to do the 2016 version of Nightmare's disc?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack Two: Armour Released
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 11:53:17 PM »
Bro

I may be a bit late for this, but for the sake of my Battlebots modpack, would it be possible to do the 2016 version of Nightmare's disc?
Bro.. I think that you yourself need to create the disc...
With what you say?
Imagination and 3ds max

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Bro

Bro.. I think that you yourself need to create the disc...
With what you say?
Imagination and 3ds max
I have imagination, but that's all. I have no modeling experience whatsoever.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
just size a dsl disc and reskin it? worth checking if you can just reskin the nightmare disc in game too

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
The problem with reskinning a disc for the newer Nightmare blade is, it would just look like two textures with space between them, there would not be a solid disc. Also, the collision model would still be for a circular disc. I would be fine with making it, I just don't want to half-ass something just for the sake of getting it done quickly.

My request to anyone is, if they have some sort of reference for 3DS Max as to the size of the disc, and also the size of a 10cm square extender, can they link to it in this thread. The reference 'bot' for 3DS Max tells me nothing, there's nothing to compare it to. the 10cm extender is at least something to work from.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
just size a dsl disc and reskin it? worth checking if you can just reskin the nightmare disc in game too
I've attempted to before. My computer can't modify TGA files. Is there anything I can download to reskin the disc and make parts of it transparent?

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Kickstarting some discussion about IRL Pack 3 - these are most of the 12 'addon' skins for the Armour panels, although the textures themselves are not final. There are some issues, mainly with the corner wedges not lining up properly (as seen best on the 'crazy tribal' texture screenshot), but that is unfixable as its the mapping itself that has stretched, not the texture. And despite being seamless textures, they will only line up perfectly in certain cases. Only way to fix those problems would be to remap the entire set of plate models, which is impossible at this time.

Some textures will be provided in horizontal and vertical variations, e.g. the hazard panels, as those change depending on the rotation of the plate on the robot. These also only work well on the 80x'___' plates, on other plates the textures become asymmetrical. Again nothing I can do to fix that without readjusting the mapping on the models.

I wanna hear some suggestions on textures to use, there will be 12 textures in the release of IRL Pack 3, so far the only textures I think are 'safe are the Carbon, Hazardx2 and striped metalx2 textures, leaving 7 that can be improved.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »
Hardox texture. You know it makes sense :P
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
What about Weapon Colors?

You would do it for basic weapons, such as Spikes, DSL Blades, sledge hammers, etc.
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
My BBAI pack can use a few colors for armor and extenders:

Pink
Dark Grey
Light Grey
Grey

Aaand that's pretty much all I can think of. Nothing too crazy, just simple stuff. I could help you if you'd like. You know, get the GMF stuff out of the way.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »
honestly the misalignment is pretty minor so i don't think it's that big of a deal.

how about a flame texture? i think that'd be pretty nice

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
Craig: And, everyone suggesting a texture - can you provide a image of the material in question, as a basis to research? The more the merrier as it helps narrow it down faster.

Baconus: Weapons  will be getting it's own pack, not every weapon will get every colour/texture variation, but most weapons will be included.

Tommy: Pink is something I may include as an additional colour. I won't be doing any gray shades as there's already three metal types in 2.2, it just feels redundant to include minor variations.

Badnik: it's not a huge deal, but it would have been nice if they did line up. As for the flame suggestion, would it be similar to the flame wedges in Ironforge, or an all over one like the current lava paint texture?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
I was thinking kind of like the Ironforge ones yeah

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
Craig: And, everyone suggesting a texture - can you provide a image of the material in question, as a basis to research? The more the merrier as it helps narrow it down faster.

Baconus: Weapons  will be getting it's own pack, not every weapon will get every colour/texture variation, but most weapons will be included.

Tommy: Pink is something I may include as an additional colour. I won't be doing any gray shades as there's already three metal types in 2.2, it just feels redundant to include minor variations.

Badnik: it's not a huge deal, but it would have been nice if they did line up. As for the flame suggestion, would it be similar to the flame wedges in Ironforge, or an all over one like the current lava paint texture?

The issue is what If I wanna make light grey steel extenders?

Speaking of which, would it be easier if I did those for you?

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack 3 Poll, please vote
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
Making the extenders at this point wouldn't be the hard part as I've pretty much done all the heavy-lifting with that already. It's a lot of files to rename, but at this point it's simply renaming files and changing 4 characters inside every gmf, which is not that difficult, then replacing the texture.bmp

I have also had some ideas about more colours myself, such as an Olive Green, and Gold/Silver/Bronze colours.

My main concern is trying to keep the length of the menus under control. I can add more but it means longer menus which may start to make the Extenders and Extras menus more annoying to navigate. So i'm going to put a poll up to get the general consensus on this. If it's something people want and don't mind, then I will then open up the choice of which colours to add. (This will also have the knock-on effect of pushing this pack's release into 2017.)

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack 3 Poll, please vote
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
Making the extenders at this point wouldn't be the hard part as I've pretty much done all the heavy-lifting with that already. It's a lot of files to rename, but at this point it's simply renaming files and changing 4 characters inside every gmf, which is not that difficult, then replacing the texture.bmp

I have also had some ideas about more colours myself, such as an Olive Green, and Gold/Silver/Bronze colours.

My main concern is trying to keep the length of the menus under control. I can add more but it means longer menus which may start to make the Extenders and Extras menus more annoying to navigate. So i'm going to put a poll up to get the general consensus on this. If it's something people want and don't mind, then I will then open up the choice of which colours to add. (This will also have the knock-on effect of pushing this pack's release into 2017.)
I think that right now navigating is still pretty normal, but at the same time, don't make it extra components cheatbot2 navigation.
Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 11:55:38 PM »
Cmo'm make purple pink so that i can make glitterbomb!

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2016, 06:36:52 AM »
WE NEED MOAR, as the poll said more the merrier!

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
So within just a day it seems like people are overwhelmingly in favour of a lot more colour choices. As an initial plan, I've come up with a chart of colours, with some new ones highlighted in red. This brings the total up to 20 colours, but if there are any other obvious choices I've missed out please suggest them.

The Gold, silver and Bronze textures may also include tweaks to the object shininess to make them stand out a little more.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »
#saveforkie

also maybe blueish green color