Author Topic: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion  (Read 34409 times)

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IRL Components - Pack Four Discussion
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
My computer can't open pack 3 as an archive. Can someone help?

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
You have to unzip it with winrar
I had the same problem bro

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
You have to unzip it with winrar
I had the same problem bro
Ok, got it.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Future of the IRL Packs
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
This may end up being a long post, so I’ll try to keep this as to the point as I can.

For the last few months I have been privately working on my own TC pack for RA2. The tentative title for this pack is 'RA2 IRL Edition', and whilst being a TC mod, there were more far-reaching goals such as trying to use it to get a definitive IRL meta established with it. Having made the first 3 IRL packs, I wanted to set my sights a little higher.

UI splash screen test

New wide front-hinge burst, which would have been adapted for the previous two versions.

Remade Magmotors in some new to DSL configurations.

Remade Magmotors, which would have been rebranded as Ampflow motors for drive versions.

Drive versions of the Perm motors, retextured as LEM motors.

The only version of this TC that exists is some preliminary work on the UI, the botlab menus stripped of all content apart from the IRL Packs and works in progress, and a set of goals and ‘wants’ for the pack. My intention was to remake and replace the DSL content whilst adding new variations on a lot of parts, I wanted to get rid of the clutter, reorganise everything useful, make this, then that, then more of those and these, and so on. And whilst I had approached people to help me, or people had offered to help me, I was content to try and go it alone for the most part. While I still have those ideas,  a couple of large roadblocks and diversions appeared.

The most ‘serious’ of these was losing the ability to create models and import them into the game. I lost the use of 3DS Max, had no luck finding a replacement and have been unsuccessful in porting objects to and from Blender. Thus the new models part was on hold after barely getting started. The other major roadblock was the time I spent making my own real-life beetleweight bot, which took up a good portion of my time from October, up until early February this year. Aside from reducing the time I had with RA2 to basically making a BOTM each month, honestly I got far more personal satisfaction out of making and competing with the real bot than I'd ever gotten with something in RA2.

So these experiences have shifted priorities a little. It would be quite easy to just continue as I have these last months and let the limit of my RA2 work be winning BOTM each month. But I don’t feel like that would be a satisfying conclusion to my work with RA2. With the three packs already, there has been such a dramatic shift in how people create bots in RA2, a goddamn colour explosion that has allowed anyone who has played to express themselves better and in my opinion helped lead to the most creative and productive era of botbuilding in the game’s history.

Therefore, I have made these ideas public because I want to see how people feel on the future of the IRL Packs. Whilst I can’t say for certain if there will ever be an IRL TC now, I still want to work on IRL Packs if people want those. I still see so much that can be done to increase the variety and creativity of designs people make, and with people such as Geice working to improve existing parts, I want to open up the possibility of working together with more people to make more packs a reality.

The takeaway point from this are as follows:
- Do people want to see more IRL packs, or these packs implemented as a TC separate from DSL?
- Do people want to see the IRL packs offer more than recoloured items, and start to branch out to include things like new and rebranded motors/batteries/weapons?
- Are people who have the ability to mod and create new items willing to work together in creating these packs?

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
Holy mama that UI is beautiful!
IMO yes I'd love to see more original components as well as coloured components, they all come in handy really lol
And again IMO it would be cool if it was a team effort putting together custom stuff.

Plus, loving the few components here!

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
You sir are a god! I'm down with this Idea and I hope this gets released as TSG or as an add on to DSL everway I want to see this being made keep up the amazing work also is there still going to be replicas and old cheat bot parts added :)

BTW I would also try and add some extra colour parts like the extenders. Things like beatersbars and typhoon teeth. Another idea is to have chain versions of NPC motors as they are so commonly used
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:05:29 PM by pokebro14 »
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
I think having it as its own TC makes sense now as IRL has taken on its own Meta anyway and there are so many parts it would be a good idea to declutter a lot of things.

Also holy sh*t that new stuff looks awesome and thank you for all the hard work you've done so far :)

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
Something I love about this game is that anyone can make a robot, but it also gives people with a real artistic and technical talent a chance to do amazing things like DSC does.

I'm in awe and really impressed with how much effort you put into these modifications, man. Looking forward to seeing what you're working on fully fleshed out.  :smile:
LIFELONG B R O N C O B O Y

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
Very great work with air tank and it's tubing, especially if added weight to the component.

"Whilst I can’t say for certain if there will ever be an IRL TC"
Yea you can, it's called DSL 2.2 :cancer:

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2018, 12:17:13 PM »
So, from just a few component skin packs for armour plates to coloured extenders has now evolved into this. I'm pretty impressed in the amount of work that you manged to put into making all these parts for a potential total conversion. Personally, I do feel that the IRL pack should offer a little bit more to them. Sure it's nice to have the coloured armour plates and extenders to show off a person's creativity, but it would be nice to have a few new, custom components like the ones you showed off, for potential players may end up using them commonly for the meta or maybe just to experiment with each part for a bit of fun. Anyway, I'm loving the work so far and hope that there may be some more parts to show off in the near future.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
The new motors and stuff are a fun idea, but an entire total conversion seems like a monumental task. I'd advise just making as many IRL packs as possible until eventually, you have enough stuff alone to make a total conversion pack. Maybe add some more in terms of weapons and wheels, things that you haven't done much work on before.

I think you've done an incredible job with the armor plates and extenders, which, in my opinion, are the hardest part of the whole project. You've already done basically the foundation of new IRL robots.

Here's an odd idea: In the scenario we can't get the right kind of motors to work, fit, or move the crazy IRL structures we build, would making miniature cheat motors be ok? I know that I liked using modded chicken motors and burst wedges for my custom component replicas. Maybe if someone wanted to take on something more ambitious, they could use these cheat components. Hell, I may even be able to help you with it! I know how to program components and test them!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2018, 01:31:49 AM »
I've been asking for some TC to DSL to fix/improve all its issues as a builder, it's great to see that you're interested in doing this DSC. I'd suggest increasing the power of all bursts as long as it doesn't freak out the engine. Having to use 2-3 bursts to make IRL flippers viable is a pain in the dick and produces ugly bots out of neccessity. I'd also like some kind of thruster to use, for example, in a hammer/axebot to prevent it from flinging itself all over the place when firing its weapon. Maybe also an invisible skirt we can use for wedgebots, so we can avoid the boring-ass pushing matches without resorting to ugly and non-irl wedges. And maybe beef up all the weapons to have heavier and more damaging versions, to allow damaging bots without weapon spam.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Oh man, I'd be all for this. Whether it's just a further series of IRL packs or a full-blown TC, I'd love to see you coming out with more components. It's always great to have more stuff to play with.
My DSL Showcase

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
im just going to give ideas on things I personally think should be re-skinned and add into the games if you do make this.

Reskinned
.Coloured beater bars
.Typhoon flag made to have flags from different country's
.Beta Burst changes to something along the lines of terrorhurtz set ups (may need a new model)
.Coloured bars+Different shapes for bars like ones with holes in
.Coloured Polycarb
.New colours for LED lights
.New wheel colours
.Flat motor to look like a chain thing

New Stuff
.New axe heads that are actually good
.New axe handles something like terrorhurtz's where it slots into the end
.New drum shapes like in ironforge
.More chained weapon and drive motors
.Unusual weapons like sword,jaws,maces,Curved disc teeth,New Wedges that are hard to make out of extenders and other wacky stuff
.New wheel sizes
.flipper lips
.curved extenders
.More smaller versions of parts for ant weights
.silly items like John Reid action figure or zudge head
.more flipper compatible stuff
. Parts from other versions brought over and modified like wheels.
.new announcer
.egg beater just rectangle with big cut out with multiple sizes. Make it a solid component that does damage 
. Parts that can be skinned by the player like the disc covers made by badnik or the background for bot pics.
.new IRL AI bots
.sponsorship decals for teams and players
. Wedge ends given to triangle armour
.coloured parts for shell spinners
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:44:31 PM by pokebro14 »
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline moziet

• rat
  • Antweight
  • why does code get a pink name and not me :o(
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: moziet#6338
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2018, 05:54:20 AM »
I have a problem downloading the pack where disks and wedges are added. When I try to open it, an error appears that says that the archive is in an unknown format or is damaged. There isn't any problem with my WinRAR.
jump jump jump jump

Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/dsl-tc-showcases/moz-fails-at-dsl/
Tournaments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »
Still not sure why Pack 3 has that error, when the first two packs don't. What exactly is the nature of the 'fix' TGM?

Offline Qo--

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
.Coloured beater bars
.Coloured bars+Different shapes for bars like ones with holes in
.New drum shapes like in ironforge
.More smaller versions of parts for ant weights
Basically what Pokebro said, if I had to narrow it down these would be the most important for me personally.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »
Reskinned
.Coloured beater bars
.Typhoon flag made to have flags from different country's
.Coloured bars
.Coloured Polycarb
.New colours for LED lights
.New wheel colours

.New wheel sizes

All these would be ideal.

On top of these I would recommend coloured drums and some colouration for wheels, like colson, mini-wheels perhaps.
Things I did & done

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »
I have a problem downloading the pack where disks and wedges are added. When I try to open it, an error appears that says that the archive is in an unknown format or is damaged. There isn't any problem with my WinRAR.
Dont open it, instead right click on it and go to the unzip option where it says winrar. Then extract it wherever you want to.