Poll

which is more important?

game stability
backwards compatibility with 2.2 weight limits

Author Topic: dsl stuff  (Read 4133 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: dsl stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
there's a new poll for you to vote on with your phones

i know crash patch news has gone rather dark lately, but I do have one final idea that might work without messing with the meshes, and that's to slightly increase the weights of unstable parts. if you didn't know, instability is a combination of not just the meshes being too small, but also with the mass being too low.

with that being said my proposed ideas would be

- have only a single material/weight that is stable for the 10cms and angled pieces (for reference, 2kgs/steel was a fairly stable weight from my testing)
- increase the weight of the wedge edge and a few of the lighter angled wedge pieces + buffing their HP to whatever the correct amount would be
- new collision meshes for the axle extenders, matilda teeth, and other parts that won't have a major impact like the extenders

yes, this would mean some of your bots would be slightly overweight, however we could potentially help alleviate this by either upping the community approved weight limits, or by cutting some kgs off of other stable parts like batteries
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
Depends what you mean by backwards compatibility. If you mean 'bots from the current version will physically not work in the new version and you'll have to start from scratch', then I'd be opposed to it, but if it's just some lightening or component swapping then I don't see the issue with that
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
Depends what you mean by backwards compatibility. If you mean 'bots from the current version will physically not work in the new version and you'll have to start from scratch', then I'd be opposed to it, but if it's just some lightening or component swapping then I don't see the issue with that
10cms, wedge edges, and the angled parts would weigh more

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
All of the sh**ters that rely on those parts are gonna have fun time.

Let them suffer, stability is more important

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 4
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »
If adding parts from other games is up for debate, the crusher component in RWRA2 would be great as it comes in three sizes as it is and wouldn't be difficult to skin. Crushers are a pain in DSL atm as they are just, most of the time, a bunch of extenders and angled pieces to make the crusher which, when damaged, is a major havoc risk with all the small parts on the floor.

The crusher does damage but not much at all, but still more than an extender crusher with small teeth on it. I imported them in my DSL whenever I make crushers but obviously can't enter them into anything, but having these in DSL and legalised for tournaments would be perfect in order to see crushers be used more in tourneys with reduced crashes 👌

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »
If adding parts from other games is up for debate, the crusher component in RWRA2 would be great as it comes in three sizes as it is and wouldn't be difficult to skin. Crushers are a pain in DSL atm as they are just, most of the time, a bunch of extenders and angled pieces to make the crusher which, when damaged, is a major havoc risk with all the small parts on the floor.

The crusher does damage but not much at all, but still more than an extender crusher with small teeth on it. I imported them in my DSL whenever I make crushers but obviously can't enter them into anything, but having these in DSL and legalised for tournaments would be perfect in order to see crushers be used more in tourneys with reduced crashes 👌

i'll second this, it's well made and crushers are hurting for good, stable options

Online apanx

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 01:39:31 AM »
Now I am not sure about this, but I think the weight specified in the GMF is used in the physics simulation and not affected by the weight in the mass parameter for the component txt, maybe that could be used to maintain weight compatibility with 2.2?
Or probably not as the anti-ballast messes the physics up.
We could increase the mass of everything x10 and scale up the weight limits.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 03:13:52 AM »
Now I am not sure about this, but I think the weight specified in the GMF is used in the physics simulation and not affected by the weight in the mass parameter for the component txt, maybe that could be used to maintain weight compatibility with 2.2?
Or probably not as the anti-ballast messes the physics up.
We could increase the mass of everything x10 and scale up the weight limits.
we could try, but we'd also have to scale up all of the motors to compensate, and i'm fairly certain most of them would explode at that level of power. like burst motors will just go into a constant rupt if they don't have enough weight attached/they lose their flippers, and according to 123, high speed motors generally have a negative impact on game stability

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 06:16:59 AM »

it works and i got people testing

also, while the parts are heavier, i have reduced the weight of motors, and battereis by a fairly decent amount to compensate. most bfe heavy extender bots are still going to be either under the weight limit, or only slightly over (unless you build like robo)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »

it works and i got people testing

also, while the parts are heavier, i have reduced the weight of motors, and battereis by a fairly decent amount to compensate. most bfe heavy extender bots are still going to be either under the weight limit, or only slightly over (unless you build like robo)
Even if you do build like me you can get your bots in weight.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline bloodys45

• Antweight
  • Rep: -11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
Color sawblade pls

Offline 09090901