Author Topic: DSL 2.2 OFFICIAL RELEASE  (Read 28594 times)

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
DSL 2.2 OFFICIAL RELEASE
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:50:38 AM »
IT'S FINALLY HERE

What is DSL 2.2?
DSL 2.2 is the long-awaited update to DSL 2.1.  I originally started developing it as DSL3, a stand-alone mod, rebuilt from the ground up, with no backwards compatibility with 2.1.  However, in the last phase of development, I decided that the lack of backwards compatibility was a bad idea and "downgraded" it to version 2.2 -- however, it still has all the new DSL3 content (and then some).  The only difference is that now you can still use all your old bots in the new version.

What's new?
- Lots of new components
--- Versatile extenders and armor plates in a dizzying array of sizes.  You've seen them in Ironforge and RWRA2, but they were here first.
--- New "pneumatic" (not really pneumatic) burst motors, including front-hinged burst motors for Firestorm-style flippers.
--- New weapons including heavy spikes and several replica components not previously balanced for standard play.
--- New decorative components including LEDs and assorted backdrops for taking cool bot lab screenshots.
- Most components are rebalanced
--- Batteries and air tanks output max power for their entire life, but once they're empty your bot will stop working!
--- More useful stats included in the description for batteries and air tanks (how many motors can be powered for 3 minutes, for instance).
--- All wheels and extenders are lighter.
--- Wheel grip is partially based on size, so bigger wheels generally make you move faster.
--- Weapon efficiency increases with mass, so razor spam is a less effective strategy (still works, just not as well).
--- Weapons with normals get a 1.2x or 2x efficiency boost depending on how many normals they have.
--- Some heavy weapon motors are slightly more powerful.
- Many replica bots are updated with better looks, better fighting ability, and actual weight classes.
--- Effort focused on Battlebots and RFL bots.  Most Robot Wars replicas are not updated.  Sorry RW fans.  If you want Robot Wars replicas, go check out the RWRA2 mod.
--- The old Robot Wars bots can still be found in your Robot Designs folder along with all the new ones.
- A few new replicas: Alcoholic Stepfather, Moros, Shish-Kabot, Hunter
- Various other minor tweaks and new stuff here and there.

How do I get it?
I made two downloads.

Click here for the patch version (25.6 MB).  This file is a PATCH that you need to apply to an existing copy of DSL 2.1.  It will update your game from 2.1 to 2.2.  IT WILL NOT WORK ON ITS OWN.  Simply extract the files and cut, paste, and overwrite into your Robot Arena 2 folder.  You may want to make a backup of your game in case you want to switch back to version 2.1.

Click here for the foolproof complete game (205.5 MB).  This is a stand-alone full game download.  Just extract the files anywhere and run the exe.

Transferring old bots to DSL 2.2
Bots made in DSL 2.1 should transition seamlessly to 2.2.  You don't need to do anything to update your bots; however, you may want to reapply the chassis armor because the 2.2 armor is quite a bit stronger, and there's a good chance you'll have some extra weight to play with due to the lighter wheels and extenders.

Bots made in the DSL3 beta are trickier.  I'm working on a program that will automatically update these bots, but in the meantime, here's what you need to do:
- Open the .bot file in Notepad++ or another program that can edit .bot files without corrupting them.
- Replace all instances of "Extenders_X_R" with "Extenders_X_S" where X is A, T, or S.
- Replace all instances of "extenders_x.txt" with "extenders_x_S.txt" where x is alu, tit, or steel.
- Add "mini" to the end of every anchor filename (for instance, anchor1.txt -> anchor1mini.txt).
- Reverse your bot's driving controls (they should go back to the "normal" way you use in stock)
- NPC motors need to be replaced manually in the bot lab.

If you find a bug or think certain components are overpowered
Just make a post here.  I found quite a few missing files in my initial testing, so it's possible that something is not there that should be there, which may result in a crash.  It's likely that I will need to make a slight update to this, so make sure to post about bugs and balance issues!

Do NOT request any more new components or replicas, however.  Any near-future updates will focus on stability and balance.

BioHazard
The new BioHazard uses the Trovaner chassis glitch, which means you need to do some Options trickery to get it to not crash.  The RA2.cfg file I included should be set up to work with BioHazard as long as you don't touch the Options menu.  If BioHazard starts crashing, though, do this:

1. Set the graphic quality to High.
2. Do a battle or go in the test garage.
3. Go back to the main menu.
4. Change the graphic quality to Low and then IMMEDIATELY quit RA2.
5. BioHazard should work now.  The graphic quality is actually High even though it will say Low in the Options menu.

Future plans for DSL
The majority of the work is done, but there's still a few things I'd like to do at some point.

Near future plans:
- Update the stock AI with 2.2 parts and more competitive designs.

Far future plans:
- Update and AI the Robot Wars replicas to the same level as the others.
- Add AW and BW replica bots (Fire Arrow, Slim Pickens, and friends)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:13:16 AM by Clickbeetle »

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Bringing you the elements...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DSL 2.2 OFFICIAL RELEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:00:12 AM »
YES

Edit; a little bit of feedback - I went through all of the components in the bot lab just to check them out and it seems that if you download the patch version and extract it to the game folder that it doesn't overwrite some of the components, but rather duplicates them. Obviously This isn't too big of an issue (And I'm guessing the standalone game version wont have this) but I thought I'd point it out nonetheless.

Other than that everything looks really cool! Can't wait to make some front hinged flippers :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:21:22 AM by Elementos »
Tournament Wins:

yug1tom for president 2016

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:16:23 AM »
Downloading now.  Thanks for all your hard work on this Click!

Edit: Oh yeah, I can definitely help out update the Stock AI as well if your still looking for people to volunteer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:27:56 AM by RedAce »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:57:52 AM »
time to check out this new metagame ! let's see the balance out of it !

also i can help with rebuilding the DSL bots.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
Thank you very much Click!

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
Thanks Click, will give it a good trial when I get a chance :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
- Add AW and BW replica bots (Fire Arrow, Slim Pickens, and friends)

THANK YOU

Offline TheUnknownRobotics

• UnknownMartin
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Sm4sh NNID: Nixtram
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »
Aw yeeees. Thanks Click!
Mostly a lurker and Sm4sh Bros. player nowadays. :3

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
wow thanks for the birthday present :D

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »
Edit; a little bit of feedback - I went through all of the components in the bot lab just to check them out and it seems that if you download the patch version and extract it to the game folder that it doesn't overwrite some of the components, but rather duplicates them. Obviously This isn't too big of an issue (And I'm guessing the standalone game version wont have this) but I thought I'd point it out nonetheless.

Argh, I forgot to include the dummy Components.cfz in the patch.  I will re-upload it shortly.

In the meantime, you can fix the component duplication issue by deleting Components.cfz (in your main RA2 folder).

Edit: it's fixed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:06:03 PM by Clickbeetle »

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
Well, looks like I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 months.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 12:02:49 AM »
Fun fact: The wav file for the motor that Minion and Mechavore uses is named "icewave.wav".

Something get scrapped, click?

I'm loving all the new components. Feel like making something though I'm not sure what.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:12 AM »
Fun fact: The wav file for the motor that Minion and Mechavore uses is named "icewave.wav".

Something get scrapped, click?

Actually no, I never started an Icewave replica.  The file is called icewave.wav because it's an actual recording of Icewave's engine I got from a Youtube video.  You have no idea how hard it is to find a gas engine sound effect that sounds good in RA2.

Will I ever make an Icewave replica, you're all thinking now?  Perhaps, perhaps... but that would fall under the "far future plans" category.

Offline Elementos

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Bringing you the elements...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:46:45 AM »

Argh, I forgot to include the dummy Components.cfz in the patch.  I will re-upload it shortly.

In the meantime, you can fix the component duplication issue by deleting Components.cfz (in your main RA2 folder).

Edit: it's fixed.

Works perfectly now.

Thanks Click btw, as a predominantly IRL builder I muchly appreciate all the new components ^^ - And of course all the hard work put into this. *applause*
Tournament Wins:

yug1tom for president 2016

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
I founda  slight bug, but it isnt really tested as yet. I think if a bot has a judge burst in it, it will instantly crash the game.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 11:50:31 AM »
That's a good point, have you made Judge bursts irrelevant by changing regular component stats Click? Would be nice for no cheat components to be needed in IRL tournaments.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Virus Bomb

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
enjoying the mod so far, especially the updated replicas. i think biohazard could use a bit more speed though

thanks for sticking with this and releasing it click, it's greatly appreciated

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
This mod is bloody brilliant. I think I'm addicted to Moros Blades.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »
I love the new way The Judge's hammer works. Instead of a burst motor, it uses an axle and a thruster. Brilliant.

Also, I've managed to squeeze one of the new Mechavore discs on a lightweight. God damn does it do damage.

Offline kaiser

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: kaiser#0050
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
Would it be unwise to try using the bttb dsl 2.1 ai pack in dsl 2.2? With some slightly different components present, i can see how it might not go very smoothly.
Battles are won in the bot lab, tournaments are won in the bindings.py