Author Topic: Ironforge 1.2 Update  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ironforge 1.2 Update
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
Hey everyone. Some of the top Ironforge builders, geice, 090901, and myself have a bit of a surprise for you. For the past week we have been working on an """"unofficial"""" (official) 1.2 update to Ironforge. 123STW, the original creator of Ironforge, has visibly left the community and will be missed. We have attempted to reach out to him asking for his permission to let us to do minor updates but he is MIA. Under those circumstances, we decided to go ahead without explicit permission. (UPDATE: He has PMed me and said it's ok.) We have made several additions and tweaks that we think will improve the building experience for everyone. It seemed to be a good idea to release the patch before we begin to work on Redace's Reforged AI pack update in order to take advantage of these new features and changes. I hope you will enjoy everything.
          Reier

Ironforge 1.2.1 STANDALONE (Full game, do not need to apply it to a previous Ironforge copy)

Ironforge 1.2.1 PATCH (apply to your existing Ironforge v1.1 game)

---------------

IRONFORGE 1.2 UPDATE LOG

Ant, Mini, and N12 wheels lightened in weight by 50% (roughly).
This was done to encourage the option of using 4WD, especially in lighter weightclasses. Before, wheels were so heavy that 2WD was the only viable option. Now, the torque-weight ratio is basically the same whether you use 2WD or 4WD+. 4WD LW/MWs should be viable now.
The wheels changed still are less efficient than armor panels by a weight-HP ratio. Larger wheels remain unchanged to discourage using them as armor and as due to their size they would likely only be used in HW+ where their weight would not be as much of a factor anyway.

New component - Rubber Wheel
Imported from stock and modified with the Ironforge thin-medium-wide defaults. Ironforge needed an intermediate wheel size between Mini and N12 and here it is. It has weight and HP in line with the other wheels following their weight reduction as well.
1_2rubber.png

Larger wheels and treads now have a small degree of fracture and/or slightly increased HP.
This should hopefully encourage more use of them on larger bots if they are not removed as easily by the opponent. They are still not armor, however.

Treads have had their grip reduced to 0.9 from 1.2.
Small treads especially were nearly straight upgrades from thick wheels due to almost identical grip, weight, but having far higher HP. Hopefully this change should help the treads find their niche as armored wheels instead of an all-around upgrade, especially with the mentioned addition of the small amount of fracture.

All dark and light armor panels have 4 new additional attachment points.
Done to encourage building creativity and a major quality of life change.
1_2armor.png

Car steering and the wide skirt hinge are now able to be attached outside of the chassis. The skirt hinge also has its old version for internal use only.

Heater Skirts/Plow and Treads have all had the flame textures... changed.
Hopefully using these parts should look aesthetically better on more bots now while still being consistent to the style of Ironforge. For those who love 'the meme', the old RADIKOOL flame skins are still available with identical stats as cheatbot2 parts, never fear.
1_2heaters.png

Fixed some minor spelling errors and incorrect information in several descriptions.

---------------

The changes should not penalize existing robots in any meaningful way, the exception being the minor grip nerf of the treads. The biggest change you will likely notice in most bots is that they will now be lighter due to the wheel changes. All other changes exist to hopefully encourage creativity and balance. No other weights or damage values were edited (motors, weapons, etc) so you don't need to worry about bots you've built being suddenly overweight or underpowered. and theres no mechavore disks in ironforge anyway  ;)

Many thanks to 090901 and geice for helping balance and doing most of the gmf work, and to redace for hosting and organization.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:01:22 PM by Reier »
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ironforge "Unofficial" 1.2 Update
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
thanks based 09091

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
seems reasonable changes i might need alter a couple my bots now especially with wheel and panel changes

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
Heater Skirts/Plow and Treads have all had the flame textures... changed.
muh flamez :rage
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
muh flamez :rage
they still exist as cheatbot2 components.

thanks based 09091
getting mad about someone misspelling his made up name
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
no servo boost makes me sad...
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
no servo boost makes me sad...
we tried to no success. for whatever reason the ironforge servo doesn't respond to stat changes at all. it likely has something to do with the axle in the gmf. we thought about adding an additional servo with different dimensions but there is no guarantee that would work so we decided to drop it for the time being and focus on things we knew we could fix.

BY THE WAY: we noticed a minor error. the 30x120 dark armor was actually 40x120. it's been fixed and the downloads in the description were updated to remedy the situation. Just download the patch version and override the components folder and it should be fine.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:25:51 AM by Reier »
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:07:19 AM »
Last FINAL update: Chassis mount only skirt hinges have been added. These should be much easier to use around other skirt hinges/baseplate anchors.

Download HERE

Alternatively, both the patch and standalone download have been updated with them.

This should be the last and final update for awhile (unless something major is wrong)
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
Implemented Clickbeetle's DSL2.3 change of turning the smallest extender hitboxes from cubes into flat planes.
This only applies to extenders 10x10cm or under, and will reduce a lot of crashing in theory.

I was actually planning on doing this eventually, but it looks like you did me one, or eight, better!  Excited to try this out.

The only potential issue is that wheels that are too light will not support a bot's weight and will end up looking like something built by Donald Hutson.  The old Ironforge wheels already did this slightly.  I guess I'll see if the lighter wheels are an issue in this.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
Implemented Clickbeetle's DSL2.3 change of turning the smallest extender hitboxes from cubes into flat planes.
This only applies to extenders 10x10cm or under, and will reduce a lot of crashing in theory.

I was actually planning on doing this eventually, but it looks like you did me one, or eight, better!  Excited to try this out.
i mean i might have just checked to see if the ironforge extenders where the same dimensions as the dsl 2.2 ones and then just changed the .bmps in the gmf  :dumb)

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:35 AM »
The only potential issue is that wheels that are too light will not support a bot's weight and will end up looking like something built by Donald Hutson.  The old Ironforge wheels already did this slightly.  I guess I'll see if the lighter wheels are an issue in this.

IIRC you could fix this at a .gmf level by changing the mass there, rather than in the .txt.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ironforge 1.2 Update
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
got a pm.

People still play this game?

Do whatever, I haven't touch this game in years.

we are good to go apparently.  :thumbup
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 12:34:28 AM »
yeah so dont install the new extenders if you download this. they mess with the physics  :dumb)
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
So apparently the download was down. I fixed it and also reverted the change to the 'CB extenders' so that they won't cause any physics issues. OP updated.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge