Author Topic: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
The gameplan works as so: If an opponent doesn't have bottom armor, it kills it. If an opponent has bottom armor, it removes the bottom armor, and it kills it.
*assuming it can out-wedge the opponent, which is a very big assumption in this game.

can't think of a whole lot to improve. part of me wishes it was a bit wider in the wheelbase, and having the wedges further apart would definitely help things. it's not like 'handicap-narrow', but a having a bigger surface area in a design like this is usually better. Kinda wish the front armor was also dark panels since putting them at a shallower angle isn't much of an option with the piston.
I would personally use 1 carbatt instead of 2 nifties since it lasts longer and you dont need the amps.
do you ever find the extender holding the spikes on getting amputated in battle? you may not, then this isn't an issue.

other than those minor issues, solid.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »
The gameplan works as so: If an opponent doesn't have bottom armor, it kills it. If an opponent has bottom armor, it removes the bottom armor, and it kills it.
*assuming it can out-wedge the opponent, which is a very big assumption in this game.

can't think of a whole lot to improve. part of me wishes it was a bit wider in the wheelbase, and having the wedges further apart would definitely help things. it's not like 'handicap-narrow', but a having a bigger surface area in a design like this is usually better. Kinda wish the front armor was also dark panels since putting them at a shallower angle isn't much of an option with the piston.
I would personally use 1 carbatt instead of 2 nifties since it lasts longer and you dont need the amps.
do you ever find the extender holding the spikes on getting amputated in battle? you may not, then this isn't an issue.

other than those minor issues, solid.

Now that I now know how to AI properly again, I've tested it quite a bit in battle and found that the wedges were pretty good. For instance, it's able to get under Waffle House a lot of the time which is something that I usually have trouble with. Obviously I also wish I had dark panels but I don't want to take away from the weapons or anything else :/ . Also I tried for a long time to get a chassis that worked with the diehard/supervolt, and had a lot of difficulty. The best place for it would probably have been in front of / under the piston, and then I could try having the air tank on one side and the ballasts on the other or something idk.. after I while I figured that since my damage is coming from a piston anyway it wasn't that important to maximize electotal and I went with the fancy placement of the nifties (since I can slip the hinge under the sideways nifty). Extender holding the spikes is pretty safe as long as the robot is not firing upside-down (inverted) versus a low weapon robot.

It's funny. Initially when I had to make my first GTMCS entry I didn't really feel like building but knew I should enter the tournament. But building Mess Maker has driven me into a building craze. It inspired me to make a stock entry the same night and now another ironforge robot just for the fun of it.

So I sort of had this idea in my head, and it's probably one of the best ideas I've ever had. You see servo boosting a lot in stock - having a spin motor onto a servo (or I think a burst motor or a piston - I tested using the metal hinge though it didn't provide any increase) causes the spin motor to spin much faster, or at least seems to dramatically increase the upper limit for how fast the motor can turn, if not the spin up time. Well, it turns out that doing the same with IF's already fast motors is really effective (if you don't believe me, run some tests in the test garage. Try a large z-tek with a 200cm DSL bar and 30kg hammers on each end - it will spin up slow whether servo boosted or not but the max speed is wayyy higher when boosted). So I build a shell spinner with this concept... and then had a lot of fun with it.

"Servoost" (it's a contraction of servo-boost). 600.0 kg on the dang dot. Plastic 1. Shell Spinner.

S front.png

(I worked for a really long time on this chassis by the way, appreciate it).

S comp no wepmotor.png

S comp 2.png

Fun stuff, right?

12 80cm cutting blades
6 Beater Bars
The shell disk protecting the bottom was inspired (read: ripped) from some of Reier's HSes since its such a good way to protect the bottom. It has the added bonus of defying physics since it allows movement despite the wheels not seeming to touch the ground.

This thing spins really fast. I know this isn't that high as far as big numbers go, but I would say about 80% of its damage is between 2000 and 8000 points per hit, which is pretty good for an IF HS.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 01:12:47 AM »
very tight. great build. nothing I can think of to improve on the chassis (except get better armor on it bro)

i don't think the weapon layout is the best though. if it's spinning that fast I'd spread out the groups of weapons from each other a bit but line more of them up together, it should let you get some really huge impacts. since the motor is that high up I'm thinking a tribar with the weapon arrays might be perfect for this, or at least 4 groups mounted on the 8-disk. those beaters + DSL bars are kinda useless and heavy and you could mount a few strategic armor panels on the bottom disk itself instead of on the weapon.

great job.

I agree on the exostack deal. It may technically be 'legal' to do with the game physics, but it's just too easy to exploit and opens up a huge can of worms. to put it another way, if I host a tournament again I'm not allowing any bots that use it.
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »
Tite 1, ever closer to a Reier HS
redone weps.png

Since the 4-mag is partially exposed I didn't want to use a tribar, and since I wanted a fighting chance against hammer bots and because I like its reach I went for the big disk again. I moved the shell armor to the bottom disk, although now I'm thinking I still like it on the top disk since the spin motor can take it. Well anyway, have a rebuild/tweak/whatever.

Edit: I think I made a mistake with my disk armor, the right wheel should have a dark panel next to it. --> I fixed it, and now the chassis armor is steel 1.

Lots of testing later
I observed some things:
  • The original version outperforms the new one
  • The new version is much less stable
I came to a few conlusions:
  • Having the shell armor on the disk helps stability
  • Having weapons much more spread out helps stability (this is probably more true than the one above)
  • Having weapons horizontal and near the ground is really good for hitting wedges
So basically this design could use a lot more work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:41:50 AM by UberPyro »

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »
I spent half a day making a UHW, hurray!

"Soul Miner" - basically Coal Miner's big daddy. 2699.9 kg. Plastic 10. FS / Poker hybrid.

SM front.png

SM comp.png

SM comp back.png

The coolest and cruelest looking weapon I've made in RA2 thus far.

SM weapon close.png

SM weapon center.png

256 60cm Cutting Blades. To my surprise, the robot is extremely stable in battle.

The idea behind it was that it could do a lot of damage poking, and when the weapon wasn't extended the front spinning part would get a chance to spin up.

I've forgotten to give this thing a wedge (lol), so I'll probably take a notch off the armor and do that sometime.

Oh I originally forgot to mention, now that I'm a level 49 electromechanical wizard, I possess the ability to simultaneously and evenly load multiple axles at once:

axle load 1.png

I wanted to add 4 more wheels midway through the build -- that's no problem with my new magical powers!

axle load 2.png

(Basically, I realized if you have two of the same extenders oriented the same way on two of the same motors which spin in the same direction, the glitchy behavior is actually predictable).

On an unrelated note, if you're curious about the weapon composition of Soul Miner, take a look at this:

weapon comp.png

Each octoplate is rotated 10 degrees from the last, which then creates the twistly look of the final result. Also this breaks rule of 7 (by going to 8 :( ), I'll probably redo the weapon setup with weapon arrays sometime... it'll look less cool but be more effective.

One more thing: I realized when trying to effe on an axle loaded octoplate that when I hovered the plate over the loaded axle it wanted to attach in front of where the motor actually was. Then, when I hit the spin button after attaching, the plate magically teleported to the position where the axle was loaded to. Definitely not effe, just axle loading, not sure exactly what caused it, probably has something to do with the type of motor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:00:55 PM by UberPyro »

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
No comments on the UHW :(

This will be the last bot for a while. Probably.

I've finally given in to the dark side. My first TRFBD.

"Oh What Fun". HW. (Edit: I might have messed its weight, it might be too light, but I can’t check this anytime soon. I think it’s 499.7 kg with two ballasts). Plastic 3.

OWF front.png

OWF comp.png

20 40cm steel blades each on a flail. I've battled against and been able to defeat the default HS and Shell easily, which is good because it means I didn't horribly screw up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:23:57 PM by UberPyro »

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Love the FS weapon

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
Sledgehog. 499.5 kg (2 ballasts; weight edited to correct number) HW. Steel 1.

This is the entry I made for Badger's Shove Off tournament, whenever that thing goes into signups. Since it's a KotH tournament, I figured that while destroying robots is nice, it's most important to have a robot than can push others with a lot of force and can last quite a while. So, I had the idea to build a defensive poker with strong motors. Initially I had the idea that the poking weapon could start going down the sides of the robot to protect it, but quickly realized that I wouldn't have the weight to do that (and it wouldn't really be worth the weight) so the weapon just covers the front. I tried to armor it well, with dark armor on the bottom and light armor on top because hammers suck. (actually I forgot to leave weight for chassis armor and just downgraded the top armor to what it is...)

Sledgehog front.png

Sledgehog comp.png

Also, it would have been nice to give this robot a good proper skin so that it could match its name well. Buuuuuuuut I couldn't be bothered.

edit: fitted in the smartzone, figured I should show it for some reason

Sledgehog smart.png
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:03:01 PM by UberPyro »

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
For the memes of it

front.png

SHW, plastic 10 although that's only like 10 kg worth of chassis armor given how small the chassis is. Makes use of RA2's bad drive programming. And the way it drives is super smooth, too.

This was, by far, the hardest I've ever had to think when wiring a robot for drive.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
now this is the class that ironforge needs

it's pretty clever, good use of hiding the wheels and still having the mobility
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
now this is the class that ironforge needs

it's pretty clever, good use of hiding the wheels and still having the mobility

Thanks. It's true that the wheels would be too close together for it to be mobile if it were a single shell spinner. But the biggest reason it has to be 2 is because otherwise the chassis would spin and the shell and wheels would be still, given how much heavier they would be than the chassis.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:36:20 AM by UberPyro »