Author Topic: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case  (Read 6889 times)

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »

Plastic 1, 399.4 kg

Pretty generic SNS. Beats pretty much all of the default IronForge ai by outweaponing them.
I built it several months ago. Named it "Left to Right" presumably because it just spins in circles endlessly.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »
Not only do I have a bot, but I have a question:

Is effeing considered DSL-S? Like if you could feasibly fuse two spikes together? Like this:

There are 25 pole spikes intersecting to make one giant spike rack. All the individual pole spikes are separated just a little bit. Also notice the chassis is troved to half a STGU, which I think is allowed.

It looks like its nine pole spikes but its actually 20 with some inside others. I'm pretty sure that that's not allowed.

Here's the robot I ended up building in the end. It has the spike setup I showed in the first picture.
Its name is Pokeup 181

Titanium 1, 397.5kg HW
Wedgy, fast, and I built a stable robot for once. However I think the weapon is too low to the ground which stops the whole popup-piston thing from getting a good hit in.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »
Yeah that's pretty much considered DSL-S. Some of the popups in DSL2.1 had razors effe'd so close they were basically stacked.

The bot looks pretty solid, good top know that you have chassis management and creation down. I'd suggest adding 4 ballasts to the front, since that piston is gonna make the bot hella unstable. Maybe replace the pole spikes with something with nicer normals too, idk
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
Maybe replace the pole spikes with something with nicer normals too, idk
Now that I think about it, that's probably why the damage is so low.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:25:07 PM »
Alright, since this bot was so fun to make I did a rebuild.
Pokeup 182

I've put 2 weights in the insides since I have taken the below screenshot. Also its plastic 1 armor.

And here's the closely effe'd razors. There are 35 of them. There's just something about the look of so many razors crammed together...

It does much better damage than the last. Unfortunately it's still not good at gutripping because robots that hit its wedge seem to like to move vertically upwards and not tilt up because physics make sense in this game.

Edit: and I keep on forgetting to move the dang mouse before F11.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
lul I'd like to see it AI'd, just so it can fire once, miss and fly OOTA.

Not sure how legal those razors are. I'd personally allow it, but it's pushing it really hard. You're also probably better off with cutting blades with the edge pointing upward, because IIRC razors suck in ironforge.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:53:03 PM by Badger »

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
try angling the piston upwards if you rebuild again

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
lul I'd like to see it AI'd, just so it can fire once, miss and fly OOTA.

Not sure how legal those razors are. I'd personally allowing, but it's pushing it really hard. You're also probably better off with cutting blades with the edge pointing upward, because IIRC razors suck in ironforge.

I was doing some dp per weight calculations and cutting blades seemed to be pretty inefficient (to be more specific shorter weapons tend to be more efficient than longer ones, and some weapons like razors have a shorter minimum length). Also I remember something along the lines of cutting blades being 1/3 concussion or something like that. However they definitely do have the right shape.

try angling the piston upwards if you rebuild again

My worry there is that my robot will fly 20 meters in a parabolic trajectory when I hit the fire button. As it is, the stability is surprisingly good but I know from my RA2 experience that angling things upwards tends to cause bad things to happen. It's still worth a try though, when I find the time for another rebuild.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »
Ironforge is the only mod where concussion is actually good (idk about retooled nobody plays it). Like the crushing teeth or whatever are so good. From my experience, cutting blades are amazing, I think you messed up your calculations.

And razors have the HP of wet paper, so GL fighting a rammer or a bot with sledgehammers.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
Ironforge is the only mod where concussion is actually good (idk about retooled nobody plays it). Like the crushing teeth or whatever are so good. From my experience, cutting blades are amazing, I think you messed up your calculations.

And razors have the HP of wet paper, so GL fighting a rammer or a bot with sledgehammers.

In that case, I'll use cutting blades in my next rebuild.

Edit: Maybe not
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:29:55 PM by UberPyro »

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
Don't listen to Badger, piercing weapons are better for things like where you are aiming for weapon on chassis contact. Cutting blades have less piercing so it would be dumb to use it for this bot type when you could use Cutting edges or Razors which are full piercing.

(idk about retooled nobody plays it).
All weapons in retooled use concussion, no piercing at all, that's why popups aren't as great and flails won't boost your damage output.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »
OK here's the next iteration
Pokeup 184, plastic 3

I know the iron spikes seem weird but they're actually the most efficient, I don't feel like explaining the math (but it has to do with lighter components tending to have better efficiency)
The piston is on an angle and the spike rack is lowered:

And I'll show the components even though they're pretty much the same in all the iterations

I've had some fun with this robot. Unlike the other version, it gutrips very well. However, I was correct in that angling the piston made the robot unstable. Before I had lowered like it is in the picture now, the center of mass was so high it flipped when turning. Lowering the weapons fixed the problem, but it still likes to do somersaults if it hits another robot or the wall too hard.
Due to the instability sometimes I like to wait for the other robot to come to me. And in the below picture I instantly destroy my opponent while hardly moving my wheels at all.

It does more damage on a direct hit, usually around 20000, but the spikes rarely line up that well.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
I really like it, good job m8.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »
Unrealistic ironforge tour? Gotta figure out snapper loading.

Here is Radical Line, my entry for Toreo!. For you non-geek people out there a radical line is the line created by the intersection of two circles.

Plastic 1, 399.5kg. The battery power in the final version of it is 2 stacked diehards.

To make the robot I had to repeatedly use z-teks to load out the snapper motors. It was fun at first but got boring after a while because I had to do it like 10 times. The wheels intersect through the bottom disk so that the bottom of the robot, the drive motors, and most of the wheels are protected. The drive and weapon motors are mostly in the chassis, although it doesn't really matter that much when there are 2 shells protecting them. As an unintentional side-effect, the snappers actually work as a srimech of sorts.

Here's the bottom:

Here's the robot in the making:

Unfortunately its not terribly effective due to the low weapon speed and total (weapon) hp count, however the robot is very well armored.

Edit: rejected for being a havoc bomb, will rebuild sometime.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:13:59 AM by UberPyro »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »
Pretty cool. Your weapons aren't gonna last too long though, when only 1 or 2 hits on either the flail or the panel will break them off.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Radical Line 2
Plastic 1, 399.3kg

All drive motors and weapon motors are mounted to a single skirt hinge to improve stability. I had to combine snapper loading with effe to get everything to fit.
Weapon motors have been upgraded from 2-motor firebirds to 4-motor firebirds. Shells have decreased from 10 sided to 8 sided, and the shell panels have been reduced from 50 cm to 40 cm. It has cutting blades.

I will definitely have to rebuild this again. I'll probably use dark panels on the sides and the steel blades, since the previous version is actually more effective in battle than this version. Also, there's this:

And I know that is bad.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »
DP

While I really like the concept of the above robot a lot, I feel like I can only take that bot type so far. Given that the tournament is unrealistic ironforge, I'm considering what's effective. Here's something more effective:

I called it "brunt" because I couldn't think of anything better. Weight I can't remember but its within 1kg of the limit. Steel 1 armor. Yes, I know the robot has pretty poor defenses. This was a quick build. The weapon here is what's powerful: 35 (edit: I said 25 at first by accident) beater bars closely effe'd. With the 160cm piston it should knock most bot-types backwards and not give them much of a chance. In theory. Also the robot is so fast its hard to control. If I were to rebuild I would substitute speed for armor. Also, the batteries and air tanks are stacked.

I'm still going to give the double shell spinner a little more time and think a little harder about what the most effective set-up is for it (I'm thinking dark shell panels and steel blades). I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 11:30:34 PM »
im worried that its nowhere near wide enough. id bet $10 that its gonna miss fairly often then and the opponent is gonna punt off a wheel immediately. the weapon can be narrow but it would probably be good to have some kind of trapper framework to get them corralled and to keep you from getting flanked. even like a couple 120cm skirts will be better than nothing.
also for a poker like that you can likely get away with less drive. its gonna be flying all over the place with the piston anyway, and more control to line up your hits is probably more important than it being super duper fast.

i can tell you from experience wedges that close together end badly

but 35 beaters i like your style  :thumbup
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
Alright I've rebuilt the poker, now named Sheep Herder since it corrals.

Tite 1, 399.4kg, unrealistic
It's very well armored now, but to do so I had to get bigger wheels so I lost my super-low ground clearance but its worth it in the end. Still has 35 beaters. And yes, the skirts do help a lot.
Also, the air tanks are triple stacked, and there's only a single diehard after realizing I only need 20 amps.
I'll be posting my Toreo entry along with a few other bots hopefully soon, if I get the time.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
OK here's my new entry for ¡Toreo!

399.4, plastic 10 (because I didn't know what to do with the last ~10kg), unrealistic building style

Steel blades are now connected to each other, 3 in a row. The design is actually invertible (with the wheels peaking out the top). It's also very stable. This is by far the most effective version I have built.

All motors are connected to a single 20cm extender coming off of a skirt hinge, and effe + snapper loading was used to attach everything. What I found to be the key to this design was to have a smaller shell radius (this uses the 8 sided disc), and to have the steel blades connect to each other without the use of arrays (saves on flail weight, and can get more hits in due to the robot pushing less as a result of less individual flails).