Author Topic: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case  (Read 6894 times)

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UberPyro's Ironforge Show Case
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »

I think the weight is 399.2kg
tite 1, DSL-S building style

Its name is UnderFLAIL as it is a undercutter with flails, and the pun was an unintended consequence that I now cope with.

Each flail has 5 steel blades, each connected to each other. This version is very poorly armored so if I ever rebuild that's something I will add, however I would loose the amazing ground clearance I get with the miniwheel + motor raised one unit. I'm also considering adding something like a plow on top, however then the robot would no longer be invertable.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 04:34:27 PM »
you could probably get a light or dark armoured panel on top and still be invertible

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Maybe get a rudimentary wheel guard? Seems like those wheels might be a bit exposed.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
Maybe get a rudimentary wheel guard? Seems like those wheels might be a bit exposed.

I'm probably going to change it to thin wheels instead. They're only wide because I had extra weight and I didn't feel like figuring out how to get the armor on at the time.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
This is going to be my LW entry for the ironyforge tournament. Alu 1.

I'm unsure about its legality since some of the armor and the ballast is bisected - is that OK? (edit: I think I have a good idea on how to fix the armor)
Also as it is, it's very unstable once I activate the spin motor, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The chassis/wheel base is a large enough size, I have a ballast, and the blades don't come that close to touching the ground. I think it's because the weapons are too heavy for the bot (60 kg just in the blades). I think I'll either add more ballasts or make the weapon lighter.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
that chassis is not big enough. something that would also help is having like 4 weapons instead of just two, would help it stabilize better

it is not realistic imo, it just cuts too much of the chassis and weapons that bisect the chassis in real life do not have that setup
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 02:40:45 PM »
I fixed it up a little. And now it has a name: A Distinctive Lack of Inspiration.
Tite 1, 175.0 kg
It's mean

It's snug

and this time no clipping

The tribar works miracles as far as stability goes. Less mauler dance.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »
looks good.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Man, building robots takes a lot of time :/
Here's a sawbot. It's pretty bad. Weight is ~596 kg and armor is alu 5 (I know its wasted weight). I'll work on it again later, but I'm posting it now for suggestions. Also I'm not sure how to spend the extra weight.

Interestingly, I found when effeing individual ninja stars that the axel on the quad (and I assume dual) motors is actually independent from the connection points.

Edit: since it's not clearly visible I will mention: both quad motors and the huge dark plate are connected on an extended skirt hinge, effe'd so that they fit.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
i dont see why you cant use the extra weight to make it wider. dont necessarily have to make the chassis wider (though itd help), i mean even just 2 dark plates on the front or something

also im not sure if there is a way around it but it's super risky to attach all your saws like that
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
I sort of gave up on the previous robot, with the conclusion it was a flawed concept. Popups are just better.

However I'd rather not build a popup and do things more creative. Here's something more creative.
Alu 3, 699.6 SHW

The use of the free axels lets the drum spin while the disks touch the ground.

I like how the wheels work here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:10:38 PM by UberPyro »

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
you've got some tight stuff bud, keep it up.

I messed around with a HW design very similar to this one. This is a nice build. I have no real complaints except you might want more armor, if you run into a popup it's going to hurt your chassis bad and you don't want that with alu 3
you also might want to think about making the discs 1 size smaller so it can hit bots between them better. battleaxes might work better for this design as well, try playing with it a bit.

other than that,  :thumbup
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
I'm glad to hear the build was good. I made an ax version of it. Making the disks smaller caused the weapons to glitch-hit the ground so I made the weapons smaller as well.

(Every axe had to be snapper loaded + effe'd on individually btw)
Of course a big advantage of axes is that the robot can change its spin direction when inverted.
However I think I should have made everything bigger instead of smaller since now the disks have less hp.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
Man, I keep on forgetting how long it takes to build a good robot until I start building it. This will probably be the last one for a while.

I think the weight is 298.7 kg. Tite 1. MW

Reminiscent of one of my older designs. Poker that uses the popup ai.

I'm not completely sure about the legality of the weapon. Closely eFFe'd iron spikes. (edit: successfully entered into ironforgy)

also it does this to Reier's bot. rip waffle house. (I'm controlling my bot though).

^wedges are very good
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:40:17 PM by UberPyro »

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
I'm liking this bot I just built:

HW Ironforge Unrealistic. 499.3 kg (2 ballasts), Plastic 5. It was going to be an entry for Wengruasu until my dumb brain understood it was a MW tournament.

It has a quad tri-bar setup to make it similar to a stock 36HS. (Except the weapons are 12 100cm Cutting Edges).
It's well protected with Triple Decker Sandwichtm armor and it's destructive the way I like my robots to be.

If there's ever another Ironforge Unrealistic tournament (and hopefully there will be since those are fresh) for HWs then I'll rebuild this. Currently the battery power doesn't last that long (1 diehard and 4 ants for 2 slimbody drive motors and 4 medium z-teks) so the next version would have 2 diehards, shorter tribars to get the weight for them, and if I can fit it (weight wise) a wider middle armor layer to protect the wheels. (Edit: and shortening the tribars would also help with spinup time.) Also the weapons are a bit high so I might reconfigure the z-teks upside-down. Building this was a bit of a pain though since it's all off of a single skirt hinge, and the first time I messed up the effe and had to spend 2 hours rebuilding :dead: (although I'm sure many of you have had more tedious rebuilds than that).

Any suggestions/improvements are welcome as always!

Edit: And I wonder what weapons would be best to use here? The reach could be a little less and it would be helpful if the weapons covered a wider area high-wise (to hit low robots; to protect the tribar), so maybe I should use battle axes angled downwards? Crushing teeth have a good shape but I'm not sure this is the best place for a full-concussion weapon (and on the beetlebros guide it says piercing weapons are better on spinners, although I'm not sure if that's accurate or if it applies here at all). Battle axes probably make the most sense though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:25:52 PM by UberPyro »

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »
If I were to ever run a tournament, it would probably be Ironforge UHW. This probably makes me sound 12, but I like huge robots.

Anyway, here's a new bot:

IF UHW, DLS-S Standard realism
(and since HW is 400, I'm calling 2500 UHW)
2496.8 kgs, Alu 3
And big robots naturally need pretentious names. This is called "Myth of the Metal Mountain."

This robot ended up pretty wide. A lot wider than I imagined it in my head. How wide? Well, here's a good visual. Almost as wide as the test garage.

If you're wondering why the robot has only Alu 3 and is missing front armor, it's because I screwed up some weight calculations on the weapons and I need a rebuild/redesign to fix it. I figured that it would still be pretty effective. Except its actually pretty bad in battle since the weapons are too close to the ground, and because of RA2's bouncy nature (and I'm sure having the front wheels mounted on skirt hinges doesn't help) the weapons hit the ground and cause the robot to flip over a lot.

(so the axe blades are a little too close to the ground)

Here's a quick breakdown:
6 6-mags
48 50cm axes (8 per disk, 6 disks)
10 locked twinbirds
4 small treads, 6 big treads
8 diehards to power a total of 16 spin motors

As always, suggestions and comments are welcome.

Edit: Dang it I missed an axe.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:56:18 PM by UberPyro »

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:47 AM »
i dig

i mean i know its a bit of a joke and all but i would probably make the weapon wider and use less side treads, it being that wide is already going to make its turning awkward so you might as well make it impossible to miss with a huge weapon
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 01:44:56 AM »
gonna dump the rebuild

Steel 10, 3744.5 kg

Much more stable than the last (most likely because I added 25 ballasts, which should be the maximum amount for a robot of this weight).
However the weapons are still hitting the ground. I can make the axes 50 -> 40 cm, but then what to do with all that weight...
If I ever rebuild a third time I'll replace the disks with nonaplates and extenders to get in another row of axes.
I also have 2 extra diehards which I can turn into weight, and I can lighten the stablizers in the back.

Fortunately, even though it only has 6 twinbirds it drives at a pretty good speed. Not "fast" but definitely enough.

Edit: by the way, putting on all the armor plates takes far more time than anything else, especially with having to load out the treads and weapons (and then I accidentally removed that armor later on and had to redo snapperloads, etc)

--- 1 DAY LATER ---

third version - this is a tweak of the previous version:
3747.4 kg, Titanium 10

50 cm axe -> 30 cm axe x2

This is more stable and can move without constantly flipping over. Smaller axes make the weapon better shaped for scooping. However when the weapons starts up and if it collides hard with another robot, it will start doing some somersaults. And even with all that space (over 10 cm of space) the weapons still hit the ground due to how much the front treads bend. The front trends can bend at a very aggressive angle, especially when turning. I think the only way to fix this would be to make the robot entirely back-wheel drive and use stabilizing bars or something in front, since the bending and twisting of axels out of their normal place is inevitable with having a heavy robot with so much weight in front, and only two front wheels.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:07:26 PM by UberPyro »

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
lookin really nice boss. gotta say I've been lovin using vertical treads recently too. you've got a nice setup going, not much I can help ya with except all weight classes in ironforge only have 200kg ballast, even UHWs I assume.
glad someone else rebuilds as much as me  :gawe:
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Well, here goes.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »
GTMCS 2

"Mess Maker". Poker. Tite 1. 299.9 kg. Basically a MW version of a design that I had built over and over again, which sounds like something worthy of an official tournament.

MM front.png

MM comp.png

MM weapon.png

15 Iron Spikes.

Weapons in Ironforge are carefully balanced in that hp*damage/weight (typo fixed) is the same value for different lengths of the same weapon. However, just damage/weight is always greater for lighter weapons of the same kind, and iron spikes have the lightest minimum weight.

I made sure this was invertible and could still poke at things when upside down, since RA2 battles sometimes feel like bouncy-houses. The gameplan works as so: If an opponent doesn't have bottom armor, it kills it. If an opponent has bottom armor, it removes the bottom armor, and it kills it.

The hard part is getting those couple of good hits in before the light armor falls off. Should make for some fun battles. (edit: a potential weakness I forgot about is that the wedges are really close together, hopefully that isn't too much of a problem for it.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:14:43 PM by UberPyro »