Author Topic: Redalert's Wandering Spinner IronTech  (Read 25819 times)

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
Re: Redalert's guide to building Wandering Spinners
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:11 PM »
This is just a regular HS that you didn't wire correctly.

You can wire a regular HS to become a Wandering Spinner...if it WORKS (sorry for caps).

Also, wiring this HS normally will make it a pain in the butt to drive. This is because I tried normal controls. I wasn't able to aim it. Wandering spinners don't need steering. The spinner does it for them.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
Oh, and it's wired correctly.

Offline Bildschirm

• Makes RA2 Arenas from scratch and some Tournaments.
  • Rep: 6
  • Has a Fetish for Vertical Spinners
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »

hqdefault.jpg
I have a showcase! :3
Also some moments... xD

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
Okay. I don't think many of you fully understand Wandering Spinner science.

It's complicated.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
no offense but its really not

we just don't get what the point is when you can make something better with wheels easily
there isn't a point to have a robot ricochet off walls uncontrollably especially when you're not actually using the extra weight gained from less drive to make a better weapon. you're wasting a ton of weight on inefficient weapon setups, tons of batteries and 10mm armor when you could just add another drive motor and overall come out way ahead of your Roomba.

we're trying to help, seriously. just listen for once. i've played this game for 14 years. i know what i'm talking about. you have the potential to be a great builder but these little passive aggressive comments you constantly do dismissing others' opinions is keeping you from getting there. Not that some other members are being paragons of maturity either, but please. listen.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline MadBeaver

• Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
Rojo and I used to make "flying trash can spinners" which were essentially just trashcan shaped bots with unbalanced counter-rotating HS hammers. They'd spin up and bounce around the entire arena.  We'd throw 4 identical trashcans in an arena, colour them, red, blue, green, yellow, and bet on which one would win.

Gawd it sounds lame, but we would watch the stupid things bounce around, killing each other, for hours...

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
no offense but its really not

we just don't get what the point is when you can make something better with wheels easily
there isn't a point to have a robot ricochet off walls uncontrollably especially when you're not actually using the extra weight gained from less drive to make a better weapon. you're wasting a ton of weight on inefficient weapon setups, tons of batteries and 10mm armor when you could just add another drive motor and overall come out way ahead of your Roomba.

we're trying to help, seriously. just listen for once. i've played this game for 14 years. i know what i'm talking about. you have the potential to be a great builder but these little passive aggressive comments you constantly do dismissing others' opinions is keeping you from getting there. Not that some other members are being paragons of maturity either, but please. listen.

Sorry. I know you're trying to help. I know you're way more experienced than I am, and I respect that.

Roomba.

...That's the name for this WS!

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
Re: Redalert's IronTech
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Aren’t wandering spinners supposed to have one wheel or something

not always! they just have to be able to move forward and bounce off walls!

Anyway,
segment of a TINY multibot. Weighs 1/3 of a typical LW, but has 3/4 of the damage potential.

Se2.bmp

Shell spinner. Good at absorbing solid hits.

screenshot_7.bmp

WaNdErInG SpInNeR ThAt BoUnCeS ArOuNd On An OfF-SeT SpInNeR. It'S VeRy PoWeRfUl.

AAAA.bmp

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
If WS didn't get any tinier, they just did!
I. chassis adjusted as shown. It's at the minimum height.

Se1.bmp

II. weapon motor mount is up 3 notches. Ninja Star is optional. You can put on whatever weapon you wish.

Se2.bmp

III. Baseplate anchor up 3 notches for dark plate. steel spike assembly for stability.

Se3.bmp

IV. Wiring- same as always. drive motor spins counterclockwise and weapon motor spins clockwise.

Se4.bmp

V. DONE!

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
Probably the most interesting WS in my collection- uses an offset spinner to vibrate around the arena. It moves very slowly.

*NOTE* This isn't a 100% WS. It's just good enough to earn the title of one.

I. chassis adjusted as shown.

A.bmp

II. weapon motor is up as high as possible. Baseplate anchors have 20 deg. angle connectors on them and 80 cm. steel blades.
The 2 blades at the front are on a 45 deg. angle connector and the blades are 40 cm.

AA.bmp

III. Sledgehammers on a disk work best. Steel blades provide protection.

AAAA.bmp

IV. Add some armor to the underside.

AAAAA.bmp

V. weapon motor spins clockwise. Other wiring is the same.

AAAAAA.bmp

VI. DONE!

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Redforge will be my first Ironforge AI pack. Here are the bots I've developed for it so far...

This MW is called, "Detonator", but should really be called "Pointless Bot." 5 mm. Steel and 288 kg.
It functions like a motorized barrel with spikes.

MW - Detonator.bmp

LW HS on the same team. Rather fun build. 5 mm. Aluminum and 128 kg. (UNDERWEIGHT)

LW - PainKiller.bmp

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »
200kg is MW and 125kg is LW in ironforge so both are overweight. likewise your multibots from earlier would be over 125kg if combined. ballasts are the only things that don't count to the weight limit.

you really need to pay more attention to normals in IF and stock, many of your weapons do super low damage because the tips don't face in useful ways, eg your full-body drum thing. the blades won't hit anyone unless you rotate them 90 degrees. it says on the descriptions in IF if and where the weapons have normals.

on your recent bots they need some work to be effective. due to your confusion on the weightclasses I would hazard a guess that you are still fighting against bots lighter than yours which will skew your test results.

your LW multibot is overweight as I said, and that weapon could use some work. You definitely want to ditch the ninja star, they are trash as a dedicated HS weapon.

likewise the shell spinner has a very ineffective weapon setup with beaters (super low dmg) attached in a way that they don't hit well combined with being attached to fragile shell panels with no protection. The ninja star is a waste of weight, and you have a ton of batteries and again one drive motor when you need 2. I would recommend shrinking the entire bot including the chassis and shell and then adding more weapons that also extend further out.

the alarm clock from hell has waaaay too many batteries for a MW (?) and they are a huge waste of weight. weird and ineffective weapon placement. to be honest, i'm not sure you can salvage this. it's a fun concept but I don't think there is a good way to make it effective in combat. it will do almost no damage against a competent robot.

the full body drum thing again has very bizarre and ineffective weapon placement. you want to either avoid weapons with normals or at least put the normals actually facing the opponent so as much surface area as possible will hit them. you also probably want to widen your wheelbase a lot so that bots can actually fit between your wheels and get hit by your weapons. Most MWs are wider than your bot.

the LW on the bottom is probably the best of these but it also needs some major work. again, useless weapons in odd places, meaning the blades. very odd position of the ninja stars, and again ninja stars are garbage on HS. press f12 in the botlab to see their collision mesh. batteries are good this time. not really sure what to recommend, maybe turn it into more of a NWB juggler-type design. a non-invertible LW with exposed wheels and two weak HS and a flamethrower with no wedge and poor armor panels seems like a bit of a disaster.

-----

again, I'm trying to help. I wouldn't be so blunt if I saw you listened to advice better. but there's no need to be defensive, we've all had to start somewhere. it really is okay, you're not CONDEMNED if you don't make perfect bots every time after a month on the forum.
I'd say the main thing you should work on at the moment are less haphazard weapon setups (and to pay attention to the 125, 200, 400kg weight limits please!). try to make the normals hit as much surface area as possible on the opponent. you do have potential and I'm glad you post frequently.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:26:20 PM by Reier »
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

okay. I'll remember that. Thanks.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
In general I find it hard to continue giving advice in this thread since the same mistakes are made over and over again with no respect to what we said in the past. For example I think the batteries are a pretty straight forward thing to understand. All spin motors draw only 10 amps, so a single black battery can power two of them. Additionally, black batteries have the best electotal meaning that there's no reason to use more of them than what is necessary to meet the amp requirement. However, you seem to have a tendency to stuff extra batteries wherever there is room to, without concerns to the extra weight or the excessive chassis sizes. If you want to build competitive bots that preform well against others then you have to start caring about how you spend weight and take heed to the advice that is littered throughout this thread. That means making the chassis smaller to meet your needs, instead of accepting its size and filling it up.

A short summery of the tendencies include excessive batteries, excessive armor, bad weapon placement, and useless extensions off the robot. For example, the "Shell Spinner" has way too many batteries, a huge chassis, a ninja star that will never do damage (while protecting worse than armor would), and beater bars placed in a way so that there's only about 10 cm of contact area between the plate and the farthest reaching point. Additionally, we only get the weightclass and armor on half the robots, we rarely get the full weight in kilograms, and there's this curious obsession with building one-wheeled spinners that wouldn't show controlled movement or ever be tournament legal, all of which makes it very difficult to provide advice. If you consider your robots "art" and are not interested in advice that would make them better (as suggested by disregarding the basic building guidelines we have laid out), then let us know. Regardless, I don't think I'm going to post more advice here if it means repeating what has already been said a dozen times. If you want to improve, then reread the comments in this thread (and your stock thread) and try to understand Reier's post above. Build by those rules, and we can go from there.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
agree heavily with uberpyro.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »
In general I find it hard to continue giving advice in this thread since the same mistakes are made over and over again with no respect to what we said in the past. For example I think the batteries are a pretty straight forward thing to understand. All spin motors draw only 10 amps, so a single black battery can power two of them. Additionally, black batteries have the best electotal meaning that there's no reason to use more of them than what is necessary to meet the amp requirement. However, you seem to have a tendency to stuff extra batteries wherever there is room to, without concerns to the extra weight or the excessive chassis sizes. If you want to build competitive bots that preform well against others then you have to start caring about how you spend weight and take heed to the advice that is littered throughout this thread. That means making the chassis smaller to meet your needs, instead of accepting its size and filling it up.

A short summery of the tendencies include excessive batteries, excessive armor, bad weapon placement, and useless extensions off the robot. For example, the "Shell Spinner" has way too many batteries, a huge chassis, a ninja star that will never do damage (while protecting worse than armor would), and beater bars placed in a way so that there's only about 10 cm of contact area between the plate and the farthest reaching point. Additionally, we only get the weightclass and armor on half the robots, we rarely get the full weight in kilograms, and there's this curious obsession with building one-wheeled spinners that wouldn't show controlled movement or ever be tournament legal, all of which makes it very difficult to provide advice. If you consider your robots "art" and are not interested in advice that would make them better (as suggested by disregarding the basic building guidelines we have laid out), then let us know. Regardless, I don't think I'm going to post more advice here if it means repeating what has already been said a dozen times. If you want to improve, then reread the comments in this thread (and your stock thread) and try to understand Reier's post above. Build by those rules, and we can go from there.

Protection, protection, and more protection. The weapon star is there for protection. Beater bars places as shown to achieve balance between longevity (after bouncing off walls) and damage.

Beater bars are chosen because of HP. This WS already deals up to 2,500+ hitpoints when it hits another bot.

Yes, I accept your advice, but that's Wandering Spinner Science. It's "Whacky" (pun intended.) There has to be plenty of batteries so the WS can keep full power, since it will not strike an opponent as often.

weapons. Action and reaction. Same thing.

Wandering Spinners are something that I've been doing for my whole RA2 life, and that's how I get to build them like this.

Big chassis= Stability- Depending on the fighting style...

And again, WS aren't built for tournaments.

Advice on original average bots- easy to take in. Wandering spinners- not so much.

One more thing- I tried typical battery setups- the WS DIED. half-way through the match.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »
if you are so adamant in repeatedly ignoring sound advice there is no reason for us to give it anymore. wish you the best on your own. good luck.
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
so what youre saying is you dont care about what we say because your fun robots are for fun and you dont want us criticizing them because you dont think we can make them better

despite the fact that reier and uberpyro are probably the two best active ironforge builders on the site

i just dont understand why its so hard to just listen

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
you should be wiring your "spin" command to a button and not a switch. most ai will flip a switch on and off instead of do anything useful, severely hurting your bot's effectiveness when aied.

also i believe the correct term for this kind of wheel-less bouncing spinner thing is "bumble ball".

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:13 AM »
you should be wiring your "spin" command to a button and not a switch. most ai will flip a switch on and off instead of do anything useful, severely hurting your bot's effectiveness when aied.

also i believe the correct term for this kind of wheel-less bouncing spinner thing is "bumble ball".

I didn't know that exists...

...and thank you for the point about the button. That helps.