Author Topic: Click's Ironforge  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Click's Ironforge
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »
Just got Ironforge and built a pile of bots.  Nothing super serious yet, just trying out different designs to see what works and what doesn't.

Here's Tumbleweed, the first bot I built.  It's inspired by Pro-AM / Kumite.

I like this design and want it to work... but it doesn't.  It can beat none of the MWs.  The weapon doesn't have enough reach and doesn't do enough damage anyway.

Next I tried making Slambot Iron Edition.

Looks pretty cool... but is really bad in combat.  It gets stuck on its side far too often.  I could make it better, except that it seems everything I do turns it into a Havok bomb.  Wider chassis?  Havok.  Remove those side skirts?  Havok.  I'm lucky I got one stable enough to not explode.

Finally I got something that works.  Here's Falling Star.

It can't beat either of the VS for obvious reasons, or the shell spinner or SnS because fast melty brain bots are stupidly annoying, but it destroys anything else.  I suspect it would be considerably less good if there were more bots with wedges, though.

Altas Undas was an attempt at upgrading Tumbleweed.

Still doesn't work.  The weapon packs a lot of momentum, but damage is low.  I'm beginning to suspect that these steel blades don't work well on VS.  Also, it's highly unstable.  It self-rights easily, but one gyro dance is often all it takes to give the opponent the advantage.  It can beat one HW... if you count Damage Tester.

I got tired of losing to every bot, so lastly I built Poot Slap, a generic HS that abuses the weapon array.

This thing is too powerful for its own good.  It can score over 12,000 damage in a single hit, but often throws itself to the ceiling in the process and then has trouble self righting.  But even with questionable stability, it's powerful enough to win some fights.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Click's Ironforge
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
I built a duspan bot like Falling Star but it sucks. Slambot Iron looks pretty sweet.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:48:10 AM »
I'm really liking that VS.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:38 AM »
Slambot Iron Edition and Tumbleweed look the best to me.

Offline 123savethewhales

• Rep: 30
  • Friendship is Magic
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
Yeah, don't expect most IRL bots to fair well against the current sample bots.  You need to build things closer to standard if you want a fair chance against those.  Of course, they will be replaced once I receive some IRL teams.

Also, it's not the blades, it's the angle and how you block most of the collision with those disc.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
Bah, Blood Runner-type designs will kinda always fail. Unless you abuse heavy plows or caster armor.

Tumbleweed should be the name of a robot that rolls on himself as well !

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »
Here's a cool bot that makes no attempt at being IRL.  Pokers are boss in this mod.

5mm steel armor.  The sickle on top stops bots from jumping over the wedge and also helps it self-right.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
That's insanely cool.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
i would put the sickle in a forward position if I were you, but i understand it compromises extender effectiveness.

Offline Schrikvis

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
  • ~
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
The underpoker and slambot are amazing and the latter should work better than it does.

Camemberta won the third prize at BB9.
Also apparently she was real lucky.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
Building more Ironforge this weekend just for fun.  I haven't really played it since the new weight limits were introduced (hence the weights in my first post in this thread).

After seeing RedAce's March BOTM entry, I had to see if I could make a proper Ice Phoenix clone with two wings.  Turns out I could.

(I made a typo in the splash; the weight should be 597.7, not 797.7.)

I had to use some eFFe glitching to attach the blades, which I know is frowned upon in Ironforge, but it's an artbot so oh well.

That said, it's actually not terrible in combat.  Better than Ice Phoenix, at least.

Next I wanted to build something competitive.  I was watching videos from Motorama on Youtube and was inspired by Vile Ant and Low Blow.

Very powerful and good at hitting wheels, but it takes a long time to spin up and it loses its own wheels as often as the opponent.  I tried adding some wheel guards but I can't get anything that doesn't look cobbled-together ugly.  Still a pretty good bot though, and it can still maneuver and fight with only one wheel.

Then I was inspired by Nyx with its lifting arm and wanted to build a 180-degree (or as close as RA2 can get) flipper.

It actually works pretty well!  It tends to be more flippy and less lifty than Nyx, but sometimes (often enough) it can do the full 180 degree body-slam.

Unlike Nyx though, self-righting is a pain for some reason.  Those extenders on the back are essential for tipping Nix back on its treads.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »
Iron Phoenix looks metal !

180 degree flipper ? Maybe you should try bfe'ing the start/end positions of the burst.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
Nice job with Iron Phoenix.  I knew someone had to make a better version of the homage than what I did for BOTM.  (Although, I couldn't get exactly what I was going for since the weight limit was HW and not SHW)

And I swear you built something like Undertaker 2 before (twice).  But that and Nix is pretty cool as well.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 11:41:44 AM »
Really cool to see you playing Ironforge, we need more people building cool stuff! Iron Phoenix looks sick. Do the wheels last long on Undertaker vs popups?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
on undertaker you could make wheelguards by rotating the light panels out so that the inside touches where it does now and the outside part goes past the wheels like this

also on some of my bots I axle load a DSL disk outside of the wheel and it works pretty well actually. its realistic imo because you could just add a shield on the wheel irl.

I really believe in ironforge you don't need insanely powerful weapon motors. in DSL you could put some weaker weapons on a duel perm and stay reasonably competitive, but the super high HP of weapons relative to their DP makes it much harder to knock them off compared to DSL, generally making it better to have more weapons instead of a powerful motor for your weapon imo.
in other words I doubt you need a 6mag. It takes forever to spin up with whatever you use due to your huge disk, i actually might shrink the entire bot a bit (disk, body, maybe wheels) and using the extra weight to make it tougher in armor and weapons. it looks very fragile to me. I doubt making it a bit smaller would hurt its effectiveness. it would be pretty easy too, most of your bot is extenders anyway.

also shameless plug but download my ironforge AI back those bots are tougher than the default ones :P

nix is cool but I can see its slow drive hurting it. looks great though. so is phoenix. what is the tail attached to?
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:14 PM »
I really believe in ironforge you don't need insanely powerful weapon motors. in DSL you could put some weaker weapons on a duel perm and stay reasonably competitive, but the super high HP of weapons relative to their DP makes it much harder to knock them off compared to DSL, generally making it better to have more weapons instead of a powerful motor for your weapon imo.
in other words I doubt you need a 6mag. It takes forever to spin up with whatever you use due to your huge disk, i actually might shrink the entire bot a bit (disk, body, maybe wheels) and using the extra weight to make it tougher in armor and weapons. it looks very fragile to me. I doubt making it a bit smaller would hurt its effectiveness. it would be pretty easy too, most of your bot is extenders anyway.

The thing is, Undertaker needs to be huge for the blades to reach under other spinners and hit their chassis and wheels.  I could make it smaller and add more weapons but then I'm just building a generic HS.

(And yes, I did build another Undertaker in DSL a few years ago.  It was basically the same design except it had a roll cage on top instead of invertibility.  I'm surprised anyone remembers that.)

That said, you might be right about the weapon motor.  I did build it with a 4-Firebird first and upgraded to the 6 later to try to improve the spinup time.  (Also because of new player "must use biggest motor" syndrome.)  And it was still good with the 4.

Iron Phoenix's tail is attached to a Snapper+.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 11:39:24 PM »
making it smaller was more to get you weight for other things like wheelguards, but using a 4mag may be all you need for weight. the spinup time will still be super slow though but there's not much you can do to fix that with a disk that size
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
OK I think I'm starting to get the hang of Ironforge.  This is my best bot so far:

The only bots that give Tumblebug trouble are HS, which it can't beat at all, and certain VS and popups (which it can beat, but not always).

It's called Tumblebug because it's either rolling bots in front of it like a ball of dung (a tumblebug is a type of dung beetle) or rolling around itself.  It's pretty evenly balanced on both sides of the wheels, which makes it very stable but also prone to popping wheelies.  Beating VS and gutrippers depends on keeping the weapons facing the opponent, which is a bit of a crapshoot (pun intended).  But when it works, it hits HARD and deweapons anything not a rammer.

Not sure whether this bot would be classed as IRL or standard.  It's certainly an IRL design but I can't see those clear panels being used on a real bot.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 01:33:50 AM »
I'm gonna be "that guy" and ask "hey click wtf happened to your admin title"?

Bot looks alright, but personally I would make it wider so that it stands more of a chance against HS/SNS without getting it swept away. I also feel that you can use N12's instead of Cobra wheels.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 02:45:23 AM »
I'm gonna be "that guy" and ask "hey click wtf happened to your admin title"?

It's still there, just invisible.  Something to do with the board rearrangements preparing for RA3, or something.  So for the moment I'm an undercover admin.

Bot looks alright, but personally I would make it wider so that it stands more of a chance against HS/SNS without getting it swept away. I also feel that you can use N12's instead of Cobra wheels.

I tried N12's at first and it wasn't as good.  For one thing, they have significantly less HP.  For another, being smaller, they tilt the bot up at an angle, which puts the bottom edge of the front support panels out further in front and makes it harder to hit bots with the weapon.

I suppose I could ditch the wheel guards and use bigger front plates to make it wider.  It wouldn't be so cute but it might do better against HS.  I'll give it a try.