Author Topic: Dark-Al's DSL showcase (Definitely Something Lengthy)  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dark-Al's DSL showcase (Definitely Something Lengthy)
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
should just go with ironspikes, much more common on face spinners. pole spikes arent used often thanks to normals.

does the disc touch the ground and hinder driving?
beep beep

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 03:24:58 AM »
Okay, another early morning update. Following Shield's advice, I made more improvements onto my Beetle-Weight. I've resized the chassis, change the drive motors and put iron spikes onto my machine. The reason for the astroflights is to prevent havoking which I encountered during numinous test drives. I tried putting on iron spikes on the old verison, but it kept pushing the Robot overweight. So here's the new design:

It should also weigh about 174 Kg to the nearest whole number if you want to know.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »
Another Bulk post. This is a little flame thrower bot that I cobbled together in around five minute or so for fun, this is purely experimental so feel free to have a say on this and do say for any improvements.
Also no, I don't intend to give this bot ago in DOOT's tournament due to me lacking the interest in IRL bots and having to go though the hassle into making them look good when I really want to build something quickly despite last time. So I may give the tournament a miss and just watch it.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Yet again another bulk Post since A. No one is having anything to say (Due to posting at the wrong time) and B. Because I have built something better despite being the third Bulk post I've done.
So moving on, this is SHW that I have be building, since I had a brain storm while having my Dinner. While I was forced to use the component intersection tool on the sergepatcher, I think it's pretty good to see the end result. Also the paint job will be coming soon.

After saying that I wasn't intending to enter DOOT tournarment, I'm feeling that I do want to have a go, but only in certain weight divisions!

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:07 AM »
you still have 80kg to spare, i'd say you put your stabilizers to the sides to gain stability and try to reinforce them so they don't get one shotted by all the tombclones that'll be running around cause IRL meta.
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
Yet again another bulk Post since A. No one is having anything to say (Due to posting at the wrong time) and B. Because I have built something better despite being the third Bulk post I've done.
So moving on, this is SHW that I have be building, since I had a brain storm while having my Dinner. While I was forced to use the component intersection tool on the sergepatcher, I think it's pretty good to see the end result. Also the paint job will be coming soon.
(Image removed from quote.)
After saying that I wasn't intending to enter DOOT tournarment, I'm feeling that I do want to have a go, but only in certain weight divisions!

it looks kinda messy and the discs look sorta flimsy tbh

what you could do is have only the outer disc (the one directly attached to the motor), and attach shell spinner panels onto it instead. to give off a sort of Redrum look

and yea what mystic said, supports on either side instead of straight down the middle would be more stable and better looking

Okay, another early morning update. Following Shield's advice, I made more improvements onto my Beetle-Weight. I've resized the chassis, change the drive motors and put iron spikes onto my machine. The reason for the astroflights is to prevent havoking which I encountered during numinous test drives. I tried putting on iron spikes on the old verison, but it kept pushing the Robot overweight. So here's the new design:
It should also weigh about 174 Kg to the nearest whole number if you want to know.

you might want to try and tack on a wedge as the bot might be defected easily, rendering the face spinner useless

Another Bulk post. This is a little flame thrower bot that I cobbled together in around five minute or so for fun, this is purely experimental so feel free to have a say on this and do say for any improvements.
Also no, I don't intend to give this bot ago in DOOT's tournament due to me lacking the interest in IRL bots and having to go though the hassle into making them look good when I really want to build something quickly despite last time. So I may give the tournament a miss and just watch it.

bland but alright. i'd try and free up some weight for teeth on the top to stop bots riding over since the bot isnt invertible as is anyway
beep beep

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 06:50:16 AM »
Ok, After following Shield's advice, I followed on to rebuild my SHW into something like REDRUM after it looked like if Counter-Revolution 2 and Daisy Chopper had a baby. So without further than do, here it is:

Also the battery that looks like it's intersecting the other black is actually on top of the motor before you complain its not IRL.

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Headed inthe right direction but you could consider reinforcing the supports (I.E making them form a triangle for better shock absorption etc.) But its already lookin p cool actually
beep beep

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
Headed inthe right direction but you could consider reinforcing the supports (I.E making them form a triangle for better shock absorption etc.) But its already lookin p cool actually
Thanks very much. I've been a little concerned that when I've been testing it, the bot tips onto it side. Should I change the sidebars near the end to be vertical, despite this maybe not solving the problem?

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:31 AM »
Right then, time for another Bot I've been working on. After playing around trying to make those wedges that you may see on most of those IRL bot, I decided to make one myself. This bot is only WIP so this is why I'm asking for feedback on it:

And yes, I might finish this for Doot's IRL Tounarment, but I'll also need to focus on my A levels as well.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2017, 04:46:23 AM »
I dont think you need 4 wheels. Just use 2 of the TWMR2 drives, and place them more on the front. Otherwise. It looks good.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 03:22:55 AM »
I made some more improvements onto Spice Melange, now in a complete state but slightly overweight. But only by 0.5 game KGs:

I don't really know what to do, should I sacrifice the Titanium 5 armour, of clear away some of the wheel guards? 

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2017, 03:26:56 AM »
Give it lighter armour, then raise the chassis up so the panels align. You could even make the chassis wedged too since you're not using much of the front space, that would free up some weight for more embellishments.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2017, 03:30:30 AM »
Use the bigger controal board as it's a kilo lighter.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
why are you using ant batteries? they are like the worst battery in 2.2

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
you need a lot more batteries to run that for 3 minutes

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
make the chassis shorter fit a blue control board in and add 1 small black batt and 1 battlepack

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
he doesnt need to reshape the chassis, tit 5 weighs a lot so just by dropping the armour he can get more battery, right now he has 26kgs of battery (ants are 6.5 i believe) so getting the 9kg for 1 black and 1 battlepack should be as easy as to dropping to something like plastic 5

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »
Well, I made a few changes based on all your feedback guys, and I did what you said: I first changed the armour to Plastic 5, got rid of some of the ant batteries for battlepacks and switched the basic controll board for the blue control board (As seen in the screenshot below):

But I still feel I should of used some of that spare weight better on the other hand.
Give it lighter armour, then raise the chassis up so the panels align. You could even make the chassis wedged too since you're not using much of the front space, that would free up some weight for more embellishments.
Well, I did that and I've a second version saved on my game. But it has appeared that everyone when into the support of doing a few upgrades. However, I may return to that design sometime in the future. 

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
After hearing about Yugitom's GTM Live tournarment, I have tasked myself in building a HW for when Sign-ups open. Of course by now, I've finished my A level exams (finished them on Tuesday to be exact), I have a little more time to play around. But moving to the point, this bot isn't finished and I need to ask for some advice on how to finish this bot and any changes I'll need to make to make this bot a little more IRL. So this is what I'm been building: