Author Topic: Stacking  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
Stacking
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:57:11 AM »
No, this is not a stock 101 question made by the dsl irl builder who is too lazy to expand beyond nice skins and extender supports. I'm not asking "how stack do I do a"

I want to get better at stock building, and to do that, having an understanding of stacking is crucial. I get what stacking is, you plonk down one component and then you zoom in with a different window and you wiggle a thing or you do some axel/snapper loading etc etc.

What I'm asking is why stacking works. I know it is something to do with the collisions, but I don't understand why having faulty collision boxes allows you to put something inside of something else, like two baseplate anchors or a control board in a nifty.

Note: If you're going to answer, please make sure you understand what I'm asking. This is not "How do I stack?"

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Stacking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, RA2 was a shovelware title through and through, its just that we took it so far. There is not much polish to begin with, things like sticking motors into things and the entirety of hax mode really shows how little effort there really was.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, RA2 was a shovelware title through and through, its just that we took it so far. There is not much polish to begin with, things like sticking motors into things and the entirety of hax mode really shows how little effort there really was.
That doesn't really have anything to do with what I was asking.

Let me see if I can elaborate a bit- I went over sage's videos on stacking, the whole hax mode thread and AS's advanced stacking video, and the collision boxes (you know, the boxes you see when you hit f12) kept coming up. I specifically remember sage saying "The baseplate anchors are really easy to stack because they have these small hitboxes." in his first video.

What I'm asking is why does that matter? What does the collisions of components (or even the chassis) have to do with the way that components are stacked or exostacking?

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »
As far as I know, we don't know exactly what quirk in the programming allows for stacking. From experience small, similar object are easier to stack than large, different ones.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:37 AM »
As far as I know, we don't know exactly what quirk in the programming allows for stacking. From experience small, similar object are easier to stack than large, different ones.

Okay. That's unfortunate, but the idea that smaller objects are easier to stack is close enough to what I was looking for, so thank you.

And, sorry to dismiss your answer, ribbs. I appreciate that you responded and I recognize the fact that you have more experience than I do.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »
that depends what do you want to stack. try stacking similar objects first, it's easier.

also stacking blacks is just a pain and half the reason why i don't play stock

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
If you give yourself more chassis space, you'll have an easier time.

Oh yeah, the original question. Well, it has been said already. The physics of RA2 are so jacked up that stacking is like a normal thing for the game to go through.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:53:44 AM »
If you give yourself more chassis space, you'll have an easier time.
I'm not the one to rebuild the chassis two dozen times to save weight. Rebuilding it five times is around my limit.