Author Topic: pvp octagon edits  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
pvp octagon edits
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
heyyo
trying to edit the octagon for multiplayer and tournaments and such cause it's just a great arena for that. Need some help though with some edits.
I need to do 2 things:
Nerf the power of the floor flippers
Change/add walls to prohibit driving on the outer ring. so basically theres an invisible wall where the arena raises up by the pits.

I'm not really sure how to do the flippers. I assume it would require editing the coordinates of the hellraisers AddCollisionLine on line 212 (or 183?) but I'm not sure.
The walls I'm pretty sure need a coordinate edit too (line 250?) but I have no idea what to move them to.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Online apanx

Re: pvp octagon edits
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
For floor flippers, you need to mod the Hellraiser class used for the Hazard. Neatest way to do this is to make a copy of octagon.py and add a new class for PvPHellraisers which inherit the current Hazards.Hellraiser-object and replace the old ones. The file is available on Discord.
For invisible walls you would need GMF editing and modify the collision mesh of the arena.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »
Nerfing the flippers is super easy.  It will be in Hazards.py under class HellRaiser like apanx said.  You want to edit this line:

self.hinge.SetPowerSettings(80,1500)

This will affect any other arena that uses class HellRaiser too, so make a copy like apanx said if you don't want nerfed flippers in every arena.  (I don't think there are any others in stock but some custom arenas use class HellRaiser.)

Another good way to do it would be to edit the angle limits of the hinge in the gmf, to make it have a smaller travel arc.  Instead of turning bots over completely, it could just pop them up a bit without flipping them (usually), kinda like the Battlebots Hellraisers.

Editing the stock arena gmfs is kind of a pain though.  Dummy's compiler doesn't like node parents, and Serge's doesn't like lights.  I think it's possible though.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:03:05 PM »
thanks to both. figured out how to add another hellraiserpvp category under hazards.py. wish I could do it straight from the arena though in case I want to easily export the arena for others (who may have an edited hazards.py)

Not really sure what to do about the invisible wall I want for the octagon though. dug around in a decompiled gmf and have absolute no idea which vertexes to edit, and that's not even considering any compatibility issues recompiling it might have. probably will have to shelve the idea unfortunately.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier