Author Topic: Multiplayer works, but bots dont show up  (Read 1416 times)

Offline too many jellybeans

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Multiplayer works, but bots dont show up
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »
Greetings community-
I have searched the forum for mulitplayer issues but after an hour, i havent seen anyone with an issue like this, so I'm starting a new thread.  Most of these threads are actually OLDER than my son that I am trying to mulit-player with, a new generation of bot builders!!!

Anyone still out there? Here goes:

I am attempting to start a mulitplayer game over my home wifi network. I can get the player to join the host game, even get both players to pick their bots, and see the arena - but when I hit start game, the bots do not show up.  Arena is there, game is playing and counting down, just no bots.

I had started this on my older iron forge game, but thought the issue might be a mod or something, so I jumpshipped and installed a fresh version of the DSL 2.2 version on both machines. Clean install, no mods, and we both picked Rookie bots just to see.

Any ideas what would cause the mulitplayer game to run just fine, but have the bots not appear?

As for details:
Laptop has Windows 10, nvidia Quadro  m2000

second computer is an imac, dual boot with windows 7, no idea what graphics card is in that thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best/

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Multiplayer works, but bots dont show up
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »
I think it may have to do with a setting in the ra2.cfg. It's located in the main RA2 directory. You can open it up in standard notepad and look for "AllowNonStandardMultiplayer=0" and change it to "AllowNonStandardMultiplayer=1".

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
Thanks -
Changing the ra2.cfg on both machines actually helped, sort of.  Of the 10 games we just tried to launch after that edit , one game showed one bot.  Unfortunately, I was not able to recreate this isolated event. I also noted that upon launch a very brief window opened up saying "retrieving bot" which sounds promising.  but it is odd, sometimes it does it, other times it does not.  regardless, my best result is still that one rookie bot showing up in one out of 10 matches.

thanks again....any other ideas?

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »
wish I could help a bit more but my first guess was different mod versions. but you said that was out, so it wouldn't hurt to try the old disable the firewall to test it gimmick. im kind of doubting thats a good fix because i doubt your son would even be able to connect if it was a firewall issue but its worth a shot. when that doesn't work though don't sweat it. also wouldn't hurt to try and host the server on his PC.

but
does it crash when you start the match? there's usually a big difference in cause in ra2 if something crashes compared to just not working.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
I really doubt this is the case, but are you making sure both the bots are ready since if the square by the bot isn't click to make it green the bots won't load into the match.

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
Sweet Baby Christmas, clicking that green box was all i needed to do all along. I didn't see it as a toggle, and skimmed over it in the help page.  Ouch.

thanks for the help. Also, thank for supporting this community.  Its a great game. as a personal note, i entered a heavyweight bot in the original Comedy Central battle bots and competed in vegas in 2000 (maybe 2001?). We were totally broke after building our bot and could not afford to buy plane fair to vegas so we jumped at an opportunity to drive from SF to Vegas in a 30 foot box truck full of bots from the Bay Area.  So we drove all round the north and south bay picking up bots and meeting builders, nightmare and biohazard included. Everyone of them super nice. Drank too much coffee and got lost in the mountains looking for a bathroom. Made it to vegas on time with a truck full of tens of thousands of man hours of work. Handed off the bots, hung out with J Leno and immediately lost our first match as our spinner blew up and got pushed under the hammers.  Today my 8 year old is totally pumped to tinker with arduino, watch BB on TV and build bots in RA2.  Thanks for keeping it running guys, it means a lot here!

Best.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
Nice

which bot did you make? There's probably pictures of it on some fans sites still and we're glad to hear about any builder. also pretty sure BB Vegas was in '99.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline FightingBotInformal

• wait, i'm still here?
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • how tf did i even remember my password lol
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: meet me at RA2 central ig
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
also pretty sure BB Vegas was in '99.
didn't (edited because i didn't check my spelling before posting) 2.0 take place in vegas from nov 17 to 19 in 2000?
my weeb headass with my anime avatar is gone

hmu on discord for anime or music recommendations or to talk ab some sports sh** idk