Author Topic: Issues with RA2 (and some other questions as well)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline dat_BLOCKHEAD

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Issues with RA2 (and some other questions as well)
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
I've been trying to get Robot Arena 2 (DSL version 2.2) to work on my PC. However, it always crashes when I try to get it to work. It usually crashes between the first and second splash screen, with it crashing once between the second and third splash screen and once mid-game. The link to the picture can be found here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/jX9FF

I tried using two different programs, but with the same results each time: the first time I used WinRAR, of which it ran perfectly a few times before it said it was "missing a file and may not work properly". It didn't specify which file was missing. The second time, I used 7Zip. This time, however, it only worked once before crashing. I have been given a few remedies that I have yet to try, such as changing the screen from fullscreen to partial screen, which I can try once I get on my laptop at home. The other one was to reboot my laptop back to its Windows XP settings, but I bought my laptop recently, and the farthest back it can go is Windows 10, which is what I have. I'll have to try the one remedy once I get home, but I'm posting this in case it doesn't work. What should I do? >_<

Also, I had a few questions in regard to the game itself. First, how do I add my own custom textures and materials to use on my robots and as my logo? Second, Is there a way I can save the pictures I use for the robot I've built onto a storage file so I could use them in other programs like GIMP or Photoshop? Finally, is there a way to build a translational drift or autonomous robot?

I know that the two of these posts are very different from one another, but I would like to have help! And and all help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Issues with RA2 (and some other questions as well)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
Also, I had a few questions in regard to the game itself. First, how do I add my own custom textures and materials to use on my robots and as my logo? Second, Is there a way I can save the pictures I use for the robot I've built onto a storage file so I could use them in other programs like GIMP or Photoshop? Finally, is there a way to build a translational drift or autonomous robot?

custom textures go in the "texture library" folder in the ra2 directory. they must be a 24 bit bmp file with a size that's a multiple of 64. team icons go into the "teams" folder, same file restrictions apply.

there is a screenshot button in-game, press f11 and it saves a screenshot in the "screenshots" folder.

as far as translational drift, you wouldn't be able to drive it yourself but there's an AI file that allows for "melty brain", which brings me to the autonomous portion of your question. in ra2 most people fight by converting their robot into an AI opponent and fighting it against other AI, since the game's netcode is so garbage.

sorry i can't help you with the game crash stuff, ive never seen that happen on a fresh install.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
I've been trying to get Robot Arena 2 (DSL version 2.2) to work on my PC. However, it always crashes when I try to get it to work. It usually crashes between the first and second splash screen, with it crashing once between the second and third splash screen and once mid-game. The link to the picture can be found here:

I tried using two different programs, but with the same results each time: the first time I used WinRAR, of which it ran perfectly a few times before it said it was "missing a file and may not work properly". It didn't specify which file was missing. The second time, I used 7Zip. This time, however, it only worked once before crashing. I have been given a few remedies that I have yet to try, such as changing the screen from fullscreen to partial screen, which I can try once I get on my laptop at home. The other one was to reboot my laptop back to its Windows XP settings, but I bought my laptop recently, and the farthest back it can go is Windows 10, which is what I have. I'll have to try the one remedy once I get home, but I'm posting this in case it doesn't work. What should I do? >_<

I know that the two of these posts are very different from one another, but I would like to have help! And and all help is greatly appreciated!

Hey. What steps do you go through when doing a fresh install, and what download are you using? Screenshots please.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline dat_BLOCKHEAD

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »

Hey. What steps do you go through when doing a fresh install, and what download are you using? Screenshots please.

I can't give you screenshots right now, but I can tell you what I do and what happens:

1) I download this version of the game: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=262

2) Once it's complete, I open it in 7Zip

3) When it is open in 7Zip, I extract the file and all of its components to Documents>Games(A folder I created)>RA2(another folder I created)

4) Once it's extracted, I look for the .exe file that launches the game and double-click on it.

5) The game will take, at max, 5 seconds to load. It goes fullscreen only to give the error message I showed you earlier.

6) I repeat steps 4 and 5 a few times, but the same thing happens.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
try troubleshooting compatability

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »
Try re-downloading it..

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
He's already redownloaded before, and he said other versions of RA2 (I assume he means stock) work for him.

I replied with something today on your Reddit post if you haven't seen it/tried it yet.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
this might sound dumb,  but try letting it load for around 10 minutes. i used to have an issue with the game taking forever to load and it would do the same thing.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Baconus_Yum

• The Master of Bacon
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • I like Bacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »
Try running it from inside the folder (if you haven't tried already)

Didn't Win Anything Award GTM 2K17
Notable Tournament Entrees:
Bacon Emergency: 2nd Place in Emergency exit.
Spinner From the North: 2nd Place in SFTW Showdown
Abominable: 1st place in the MW division of The Cybernetic Colosseum

Offline doot

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
have you tried turning it off and on again

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:10 PM »
It crashes before loading...
Also.. try the compability mode (right click on the exe/properties/compability/turn on compability mode/set it to windows 98/me)
If that fails..
Then go to task manager and set Robot arena's affinity to only 1 processor, and priority to high

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 08:01:23 AM »
Or you can try full screen mode and see if doe crash or not.

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 12:12:51 AM »
Are you on WIn2000 or ME-Win 10?
It looks like it.
Are you on Desktop or laptop? Laptops are generally slower and less RAM.
What are your specs? How much RAM?
All of the Robot arenas took a lot of specs. If your computer is good its probably just the game. It has been unstable at time.
Once i played fine with dsl 2.1 then it failed, waited a couple weeks, it worked. Its a very unstable game.

OK it looks like you have Laptop, Check em specs!

BY the way I am getting a Windows ME laptop tomorrow. I would also test RA2 there.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
Are you on WIn2000 or ME-Win 10?
It looks like it.
Are you on Desktop or laptop? Laptops are generally slower and less RAM.
What are your specs? How much RAM?
All of the Robot arenas took a lot of specs. If your computer is good its probably just the game. It has been unstable at time.
Once i played fine with dsl 2.1 then it failed, waited a couple weeks, it worked. Its a very unstable game.

OK it looks like you have Laptop, Check em specs!

BY the way I am getting a Windows ME laptop tomorrow. I would also test RA2 there.

You are not helping. Please stop posting in tech support unless you actually know what you're talking about.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
I do, sometimes. At least a little.