Author Topic: How to make extenderbots?  (Read 964 times)

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to make extenderbots?
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Does anyone have any useful tips to making extenderbots in DSL?
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
Re: How to make extenderbots?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
My single biggest piece of advice for building extenderbots is to spend some time playing around with the plates and extenders in order to learn how they work together. The first couple of bots that you build are most likely gonna look like sh**. This is the same for everyone, but gradually, as you learn how the different components interact together with each other you can start to make some cool sh**.

Another piece of advice is that component freedom with all the modules turned on is basically mandatory for extenderbot building so you'll want to install that

Finally, for God sake make sure to put a proper bottom panel on your extenderbots. There's nothing worse than what looks like a cool bot having it's internals hanging over thin air because someone was too skimpy to spend the tiny bit of weight it costs to put a bottom panel on. It may not be necessary for combat, but the little details that don't necessarily contribute towards combat is what IRL building is all about.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:06:16 PM by TheRoboteer »
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to make extenderbots?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »
Use the pixel chassis in FOTEPX's DSL CE, along with ra2cf. Build your bot's drive, then weapon motors, then batteries, then build bodywork over that. This order of building is the easiest way to make decent extender it's

Also bottom panels are a complete waste of weight unless you're building a pure artbot. IRL bots are already weak as hell in combat, you need every kg you can get put into drive/weapon motors so your bot doesn't get slowly tapped apart over 3 excruciating minutes of nothing. Of course, if you're not going to enter your bot in tournaments or you want to build artbots this doesn't apply.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots