Author Topic: Game crashes when I either click to make a bot, or import an existing bot  (Read 1468 times)

Offline shaynestrudel

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
This is happening on all the downloads from here.  I have tried a RA2 v1.4, DSL 2.1,2.2.  1.4 would allow me to build the bot, but it would crash when I went to test or save the bot.  Both DSL versions crash when I go to build a bot, or in 2.2's case, when I go to import Nightmare for an example.  They worked fine on my laptop all versions, and my laptop was Win10, but now won't work on my computer when I do the same thing.  I have 7zip extracted them from their folders into separate folders and nothing still.  I don't get a crash saying RA2 has quit working or anything.  They just shut off.  Thanks

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Very odd, it seems to be crashing any time it needs to write data to your hard drive. Do you have the game installed on an external drive, or in a protected Windows system folder or something? Maybe try running the game with admin privileges, it can't hurt.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Do you have the game installed on an external drive
For what it's worth, all my RA2 stuff is in a folder on my hard drive I have to plug into my laptop and it doesn't do this kinda thing.

Offline shaynestrudel

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I have it on my 2tb main drive, do you think it would help if i tried to put it on my os drive maybe?

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
I have it on my 2tb main drive, do you think it would help if i tried to put it on my os drive maybe?

Go ahead and try that. If it still doesn't work then it's a different problem.
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline shaynestrudel

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Update: Switching to the OS drive did allow me to play the DSL 2.2, I have yet to try it with the others, I will post results, thanks everyone

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I think badger was right when he talked about the protected folder although I have no idea why that would be the case. Something to do with permissions for the app to write data to the hard drive. If you right click on the drive and go to properties -> security, you can see the permissions, and there's a way to allow anything to write to it. Running as an administrator should also work. This might be an alternative to putting RA2 on your OS drive.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It could also have been RA2 not liking that added latency of USB over SATA, or an intermittent connection that RA2 didn't like, or a bajillion different things really. I run all my RA2 installs off of an SSD hooked up to a SATA>USB adapter, so it's likely an issue with the specific hardware-software combination that shayne is using.

Glad to see that it's working now. Would be interesting to see if it could run off of a USB stick on OP's computer, which would tell us if the issue was with the external drive directly.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots