Author Topic: 'Robot Arena 2 has stopped working'  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Kosmos

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • From Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire... Behemoth
    • View Profile
    • Awards
'Robot Arena 2 has stopped working'
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
Hi everyone!

Wondered if you could help. I'm running both DSL 2.2 and Robot Wars RA2 Mod+ on my laptop at the moment, which itself is on windows 10. However, both games will run for a bit - anything from a few hours to a few weeks - before refusing to load entirely. My computer will then show an error message that reads 'Robot Arena 2 has stopped working' and the game will not load (It get's stuck on the opening loading screens). It seems to happen completely at random, without reason, and the only solution I've found so far is to reinstall the games, and transfer my bots. I wouldn't mind this, but the frequency at which it occurs is getting a bit annoying. Do you have any suggestions? Can I do anything to the game files to solve the issue? Maybe this just happens with the game anyway? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: 'Robot Arena 2 has stopped working'
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
Do you do anything that causes this issue, or is it completely random?

You can try opening ra2.cfg with notepad and changing fullscreen to 1 if it's 0, or to 0 if it's 1.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Kosmos

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
Do you do anything that causes this issue, or is it completely random?

You can try opening ra2.cfg with notepad and changing fullscreen to 1 if it's 0, or to 0 if it's 1.

I can give that a try, but I seem to remember trying that before, and it being unsuccessful. I could be wrong.

No, it definitely seems to be random. I've messed around with creating AI recently, which seems to make things worse, but it was happening almost as much before that.

*EDIT* Changing to fullscreen hasn't solved the problem, sorry.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:37:50 PM by Kosmos »

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
Try running it in Windows XP compatibility mode?
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline courthousedoc

• Derpasaurus Rex
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • AKA Okamifan1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • A Taste of Deco
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Okamifan1 #2120
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »
I don't know about OP's case but my laptop automatically puts the game into XP Compatibility mode which leads me to believe that this is something else... I had this problem as well, and the only solution was to download a fresh install of the game, and put all my bots from the old install into the robot designs folder...

I also noted that this problem is specific to those two mods, and doesn't happen with stock, not sure about Ironforge however as I do not play Ironforge.
Let me tell you something I learned through life... The weakest link in the chain isn't always the failure point.
Steam:
Tournament History:
My Showcases:

Offline Kosmos

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:55 AM »
I don't know about OP's case but my laptop automatically puts the game into XP Compatibility mode which leads me to believe that this is something else... I had this problem as well, and the only solution was to download a fresh install of the game, and put all my bots from the old install into the robot designs folder...

I also noted that this problem is specific to those two mods, and doesn't happen with stock, not sure about Ironforge however as I do not play Ironforge.
Yeah, although my laptop does not automatically run them in XP compatibility mode, changing that doesn't seem to solve anything. Again the only solution seems to be reinstalling it.

However something interesting happened to me when I was reinstalling DSL. Because of this problem I export all my robots worth keeping for ease of retrieving them when the game dies. While those copied across fine, trying to copy some of the AI I'd done (that had worked fine before) sparked the problem again. When I deleted those changes, the game worked again! Maybe this is unrelated, and I forgot to copy across all of the relevant folders, but I've had a similar experience when I tried copying across the whole 'teams' folder in previous reinstalls. It might mean nothing, but maybe it has something to do with 'significant' game file modifications? I've noticed quite a few of the previous crashes have happened after editing a bot (though not exclusively).

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Might be a problem with your AI work then
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Kosmos

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
Might be a problem with your AI work then

In that instance, yeah, but I had the problem before I even started trying to AI.