Author Topic: Scrapmatch  (Read 50503 times)

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 9
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: A New Hope
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
It's hard to say much about the chassis builder without seeing the process of building that chassis, but the end product is certainly a lot more complex shape than what RA2 was capable of, and that is an accomplishemnt
Seeing it? How about trying it for yourself
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
dude thats a pretty sweet constraint method.

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »
Takes a little getting used to, but it works really well. Awesome work :)
One thing is it's kinda difficult to get the parts to go where you want sometimes. Maybe you could use an attachment point system, similar to extenders in RA2?
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Zog

• Rep: 0
  • I suck.
    • georgedbabingdon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
This looks amazing. The variation which can be done with this is phenomenal - and the fact that you are doing all of this for such a niche community is fantastic. I commend you, good sir.
how do i
how do u
what
no

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
One thing is it's kinda difficult to get the parts to go where you want sometimes. Maybe you could use an attachment point system, similar to extenders in RA2?
It already does use an attachment system similar to RA2, however I just added endpoints, so you can now constraint a metal bar between two points without having to fiddle with the settings. Furthermore I added the ability to hold shift / control to rotate pitch and yaw quickly. If this wasn't what you meant, please elaborate.

This looks amazing. The variation which can be done with this is phenomenal - and the fact that you are doing all of this for such a niche community is fantastic. I commend you, good sir.
Thank you :) - Hopefully the community will grow when I release a finished version.
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
This looks great. Pretty fun to finally be able to do things that I couldn't for so long. The thing I would suggest you try getting in there is an undo button. I would constantly mess up one thing and the whole frame would be ruined and I'd have to start over.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »
This looks great. Pretty fun to finally be able to do things that I couldn't for so long. The thing I would suggest you try getting in there is an undo button. I would constantly mess up one thing and the whole frame would be ruined and I'd have to start over.
I should probably include some instructions soon, but there already is a functional 'delete' feature by simply selecting a part and clicking delete button. Unfortunately it doesn't clean up 'floating' parts just yet, so you'll have to delete them manually from one end to another.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
Yeah I can delete fine but like you said, it leaves the floating parts.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:36 PM »
how is the damage calculated in unity? are there points on every component that specify how much damage that component deals or is damagr dealt by pure force? if force is the factor: is there a way to impliment an extra lab for component creating? so you can create coustom flipperarms etc?

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »
It already does use an attachment system similar to RA2, however I just added endpoints, so you can now constraint a metal bar between two points without having to fiddle with the settings. Furthermore I added the ability to hold shift / control to rotate pitch and yaw quickly. If this wasn't what you meant, please elaborate.
My problems were mostly fixed by the most recent update. Feel free to ignore that suggestion.
New suggestion, though, is it possible to have the length slider going in smaller increments?
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
how is the damage calculated in unity? are there points on every component that specify how much damage that component deals or is damagr dealt by pure force? if force is the factor: is there a way to impliment an extra lab for component creating? so you can create coustom flipperarms etc?
There is no built-in damage calculator, it's all up me to make it. Do you know how it works in RA2 - are there any difference between blunt and sharp weapons? And sure, a simple configurable wedge shouldn't be too hard.
My problems were mostly fixed by the most recent update. Feel free to ignore that suggestion.
New suggestion, though, is it possible to have the length slider going in smaller increments?
There's a limit to how precise you can be on a slider if there's too many increments, but i'll think of something.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Tweedy

• Rep: 3
  • Tweedy
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
What you've done with this is great so far, do you have any plans to allow sheets to be added as chassis parts as well as the tubing available in the alpha?

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
There is no built-in damage calculator, it's all up me to make it. Do you know how it works in RA2 - are there any difference between blunt and sharp weapons? And sure, a simple configurable wedge shouldn't be too hard.

Piercing weapons tend to do much more damage than blunt force weapons in RA2, except for sawblades, which tend to do almost nothing.

But if you're trying to make a new platform for a robot game, I wouldn't go by the exact way damage currently works in RA2. RA2's physics are realistic enough, but we tend to have many unrealistic situations. We are actually currently trying to mod RA2 to make the weapons more realistically balanced in the amount of damage they deal.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
What you've done with this is great so far, do you have any plans to allow sheets to be added as chassis parts as well as the tubing available in the alpha?
The plan is to make sheets hold all the components like the flat surface in RA2. However, in this game, you'll be able to add as many sheets as the structure allows. You'll even be able to make a katamaran style robot and attach components to both sides.
As for tubing, i have two kinds planned. One for the chassis. These will form a solid structure, welded together and available in different materials (Plastic, aluminum, steel, etc.). The other for physically simulated extenders for weapons and such.

Piercing weapons tend to do much more damage than blunt force weapons in RA2, except for sawblades, which tend to do almost nothing.

But if you're trying to make a new platform for a robot game, I wouldn't go by the exact way damage currently works in RA2. RA2's physics are realistic enough, but we tend to have many unrealistic situations. We are actually currently trying to mod RA2 to make the weapons more realistically balanced in the amount of damage they deal.
I'll need to find a way to prevent extreme damage from getting rammed by a spam of spikes.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
it appears you can`t build multibots :(

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
it appears you can`t build multibots :(

(Image removed from quote.)
As of right now, clicking the 'test' button places all pipes on the field into a single body, regardless of them touching or floating. Multibots are simply not possible with the current system. Besides, don't multibots go against the spirit of robot battling? :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:12:14 AM by Sic »
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
don`t know... but having multibots would be great sometimes in ra2. So is having a 6 way battle. but I guess that`s more possible to do

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
don`t know... but having multibots would be great sometimes in ra2. So is having a 6 way battle. but I guess that`s more possible to do
6 Way battle will indeed be possible. I'm estimating a max of 20 players being able to play together on a steady internet connection, but I'll strive to keep it as limitless as possible.
Also good job on the designs. It's fun finally seeing what you guys can make of this.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
we could have a showcase for some designs but maybe start it later when some things have been added ;)

edit:

is it possible to make crushers stay in one possition much like servos in ra2 but less crappy?

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
we could have a showcase for some designs but maybe start it later when some things have been added (Image removed from quote.)

edit:

is it possible to make crushers stay in one possition much like servos in ra2 but less crappy?

I'm not sure exactly how I'd make a realistic crusher. They won't be available until somewhere late in the development (unless something magical happens. can't exclude that)
An Error Has Occurred!