Author Topic: Scrapmatch  (Read 50051 times)

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: A New Hope (RA3 in Unity)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
It's definitely looking good so far- if a finished product is made, I bet it'll be fantastic.

Cutoff wedges?
(Image removed from quote.)
Something like this, Nate.
That's a pretty sweet 90 sec paint bot.
Thanks, man. I might expand on the design a bit actually, I think I could be onto something.

You made that for the sole purpose of showing what a cutoff wedge is?

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
It's definitely looking good so far- if a finished product is made, I bet it'll be fantastic.

Cutoff wedges?
That's a pretty sweet 90 sec paint bot.
Thanks, man. I might expand on the design a bit actually, I think I could be onto something.

You made that for the sole purpose of showing what a cutoff wedge is?
As it would have helped, yup.

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
This looks awesome!  Are there going to be any new advancements in chassis shaping, such as dare I say it cutoff wedges?
What id love to see is a Sketchup style interface for the chassis.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 9
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:29 AM »
Okay.

Around here, jumping into an engine, doing a few things, posting it and calling it RA3 has been repeated like no one's business. And usually, they miss the mark by many miles. So, on behalf of anyone who gives you crap for taking a stab at this, I apologize.

This shows serious promise and I hope you keep at it, fight for it. With this kind of work, you don't deserve taking any negative crap that people spew out. Again, keep working at it, and welcome to the forums.
Thanks, 'preciate it.

Cutoff wedges?
'General Generic'... I like it. Would fit nicely as a starter bot.
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline SKBT

Re: A New Hope (RA3 (An attempt to make something similar) in Unity)
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »

I could use some back up from you guys as well as ideas and perhaps models. Also what do you think of constructing your chassis out of metal bars instead of the solid 'box' you have in RA2?

if you want cad models i can help. i have autodesk inventor and i think i can export stuff as 3d models with fusion.

i like the idea of building the frame out of bars instead of a RA2 box.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »

I could use some back up from you guys as well as ideas and perhaps models. Also what do you think of constructing your chassis out of metal bars instead of the solid 'box' you have in RA2?

if you want cad models i can help. i have autodesk inventor and i think i can export stuff as 3d models with fusion.

Do you do textures as well? I'm not so sure about cad files but if you can export to something like .3ds it could work.
I was thinking a metal bar in this style. It'd have to be cube sized (equal sides) and then I'd have the user stretch them to the desired length for full customizability.
Other than that I need all the basic things. You know, motors, wheels, batteries, control chips etc.
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

Do you do textures as well? I'm not so sure about cad files but if you can export to something like .3ds it could work.
I was thinking a metal bar in this style. It'd have to be cube sized (equal sides) and then I'd have the user stretch them to the desired length for full customizability.
Other than that I need all the basic things. You know, motors, wheels, batteries, control chips etc.

i love the metal bar idea. you should do the same for armor panels too.

do you have 3dsmax? apparently it can import .ipt and .iam files from inventor

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »
You can get some nice looking parts from Rhino3D if you nicely ask a couple of guys who make bots for ARC here.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

i love the metal bar idea. you should do the same for armor panels too.

do you have 3dsmax? apparently it can import .ipt and .iam files from inventor
Negative. I have only blender which I can barely use.

And sure, armor panels are also on the checklist but it's far from top-priority.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline SKBT

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
ok so i'll ninja 3ds max at some point.

to give you an idea of what i can do.

i can draw/design stuff.

i cannot do textures and texture mapping.  i can probably figure out exporting to 3dsmax.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Update 18:43 05/12-13
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »

Attachment points added. Motors can now be moved around or removed after being placed. Wheels attached to motors will move with the motors. (Alpha test wheels do not have collision models yet so you can't select them... I seriously need some custom models.)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Update 18:43 05/12-13
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
Motors can now be moved around or removed after being placed.
Sounds good, it always irritated me slightly that I couldn't move motors around once placed in RA2. I got used to it eventually, but it would be a welcome change :)
I know this is a really long way down the line, but are you considering having replicas of real life robots in the game? I'd love to see some real robots made with slightly more realistic physics and/or destruction. (like I said, I know this is a long time away)
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »
I could try my hand at Inventor modelling if you guys want.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Update 18:43 05/12-13
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 12:09:53 AM »
Motors can now be moved around or removed after being placed.
Sounds good, it always irritated me slightly that I couldn't move motors around once placed in RA2. I got used to it eventually, but it would be a welcome change :)
I know this is a really long way down the line, but are you considering having replicas of real life robots in the game? I'd love to see some real robots made with slightly more realistic physics and/or destruction. (like I said, I know this is a long time away)
If everything goes according to plan you'll be able to construct pretty much any chassis you can dream of from Fairyweight to Super Heavy Weight. It'll be up to you to replicate the rl robots. The biggest bump in the road however will be saving your bots since Unity does not have a built in feature to do this. So expect multiplayer before bot saving
I could try my hand at Inventor modelling if you guys want.
Please do. I need mainly batteries, motors and wheels at this point. Realistic or not It doesn't matter right now. The components you see in the demo are all ripped from some 3D archive, and they are natively much larger than they should be, which proves some difficulties in-game.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
Re: A New Hope
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
Alright.. I'm no expert builder - but how do you like the new chassis builder? Feedback greatly appreciated.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »
It's hard to say much about the chassis builder without seeing the process of building that chassis, but the end product is certainly a lot more complex shape than what RA2 was capable of, and that is an accomplishemnt

Offline SKBT

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
Alright.. I'm no expert builder - but how do you like the new chassis builder? Feedback greatly appreciated.

yeah. that looks like a tube frame.only thing its missing is gussets.  i approve

currently 3ds max hates my computer, so parts will be coming soonish. after i finish fighting with graphics card settings.