Author Topic: Scrapmatch  (Read 50364 times)

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The Resident Cloudcuckoolander
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TBD#0958
Re: Scrapmatch
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:42 AM »
I'd advise that you guys just take a rest from bickering with each other for a week or so, this seems to be getting a little out of hand.

Anyway, great work so far Sic, eager to view what comes out from this project in further development if I haven't said so already!

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 9
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
I'll be gone for the weekend
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
I'm now intrigued as to how deep this is going to be. Is this going to be used for backgrounds/test labs only, or are we going to have to drill our own chassis pieces?

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
I'm now intrigued as to how deep this is going to be. Is this going to be used for backgrounds/test labs only, or are we going to have to drill our own chassis pieces?
As for now it's only a prop for the 'lab' but it might have more interesting uses later on.
An Error Has Occurred!
The username you tried to use contains the reserved name 'It'. Please try another username.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »
Just keep in mind that the more 3D models that the game will have to load, the better computer the player is going to have to have. Also keep in mind that most of the people showing interest in this are players of a game from 2003 and most of their computers are sub-par or below when it comes to today's standards.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »
Just keep in mind that the more 3D models that the game will have to load, the better computer the player is going to have to have. Also keep in mind that most of the people showing interest in this are players of a game from 2003 and most of their computers are sub-par or below when it comes to today's standards.
I am well aware of this, but thanks for pointing it out. To counter this issue I've created several versions of most models with different levels of detail. I'm building the game on a pretty new machine, but when I release the alpha (hopefully somewhere next month) I'll need you guys to tell me about your experiences (lag, bugs, crashes) etc so I can try to adjust everything so that even an old xp/94 can run it with a reasonable framerate.
I've been coping with an old xp laptop for ages, I know what it's like to be in that position.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
I am well aware of this, but thanks for pointing it out. To counter this issue I've created several versions of most models with different levels of detail. I'm building the game on a pretty new machine, but when I release the alpha (hopefully somewhere next month) I'll need you guys to tell me about your experiences (lag, bugs, crashes) etc so I can try to adjust everything so that even an old xp/94 can run it with a reasonable framerate.
I've been coping with an old xp laptop for ages, I know what it's like to be in that position.

I will definitely make sure to get some feedback to you when it comes to that. My desktop runs XP, but it still holds it's own with anything that isn't insanely detailed. And my laptop runs Windows 7, but is kind of lacking when it comes to RAM. I can give you feedback from a couple of different aspects.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Tweedy

• Tweedy
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
I will definitely make sure to get some feedback to you when it comes to that. My desktop runs XP, but it still holds it's own with anything that isn't insanely detailed. And my laptop runs Windows 7, but is kind of lacking when it comes to RAM. I can give you feedback from a couple of different aspects.
I'll be able to do the same, my laptop struggles to run ra2 at decent framerates but my desktop can run pretty much anything.

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
Nice work. I have an average laptop, and a terrible desktop that lags ra2 at over 800x600

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
Have fun.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »
This is seriously, seriously good.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
Remember to post pics if you make something cool.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »

After tinkering around with it for 20 minutes, I made this:

For an alpha, and for the game that's only spent (a few weeks, I guess?) in development, this is extremely well done so far. My only gripes with it at the moment are the lack of ability to build diagonal pipes, and that the shadows are a little messed up on the panels. Some colour/texture options per panel would be appreciated also, but considering it's early days for the game, I'll just sit back and see where it goes.

So far, I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see a finished version someday, and hopefully a budding community for it. You keep on rockin', Sic!

EDIT: Being able to adjust each pipe's thickness individually would be an added bonus also, but considering the colour,shading and diagonal requests up there, I'm totally cool with waiting for it. Overall, this game has awesome amounts of potential, and I can't wait.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
I'll have to spend some time on this soon and start building.

Can you drive bots around so far or simply build chassis and add motors?

edit: Fotepx, how'd you do the diagonal pipes?

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »
Connect.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:19 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

For an alpha, and for the game that's only spent (a few weeks, I guess?) in development, this is extremely well done so far. My only gripes with it at the moment are the lack of ability to build diagonal pipes, and that the shadows are a little messed up on the panels. Some colour/texture options per panel would be appreciated also, but considering it's early days for the game, I'll just sit back and see where it goes.

So far, I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see a finished version someday, and hopefully a budding community for it. You keep on rockin', Sic!

EDIT: Being able to adjust each pipe's thickness individually would be an added bonus also, but considering the colour,shading and diagonal requests up there, I'm totally cool with waiting for it. Overall, this game has awesome amounts of potential, and I can't wait.
Thank you for the awesome feedback. Cool bot too.
The game has been under development for about 3 months if I remember correctly, but it's a one-man show and I've got school as well. I did not implement diagonal pipes, because it'd interfere with the current point-and-click system, instead, as you probably know, build two pipes, connect their endpoints with a third and remove the first two to get a diagonal one.
As for the colour, it's already planned. However, I've seen a lot of requests regarding colour, so it might come soon.
The panels are still in early alpha. The problem here is I have to generate plate models at runtime. It is indeed up for improvement at a later point.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2014, 07:07:54 AM »

The game has been under development for about 3 months if I remember correctly, but it's a one-man show and I've got school as well. I did not implement diagonal pipes, because it'd interfere with the current point-and-click system, instead, as you probably know, build two pipes, connect their endpoints with a third and remove the first two to get a diagonal one.
As for the colour, it's already planned. However, I've seen a lot of requests regarding colour, so it might come soon.
The panels are still in early alpha. The problem here is I have to generate plate models at runtime. It is indeed up for improvement at a later point.

Cheers for the feedback on the bot - It's a lot easier to design intricate bots in this rather than DSL, But DSL has quite the significant speed advantage - I've got a few ideas that might speed designing in ScrapMatch up:

1) Diagonal Pipes
2) Attachment points midway down a pipe, so that I don't have to create a 35cm pipe to get into the middle of a 70cm pipe

The current diagonal system works, but it could be bettered - I'm cool with working with the way it is until an alternative comes, though.

I get your problem with the panels, and I'm pretty cool with it - maybe being able to create a panel from 4 points as well as 3 might be able to streamline it? I'm not really sure, I ain't a games designer, I've just got ideas.

Anyway, what you've got so far is awesomely awesome. Everyone on GTM is backing you, dawg. Keep up with it, and I'll try to help in any way I can - probably won't be able to do much, maybe chip in a few textures or a few arena ideas here and there.

Keep working at it, man. You're gonna go places.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »

Cheers for the feedback on the bot - It's a lot easier to design intricate bots in this rather than DSL, But DSL has quite the significant speed advantage - I've got a few ideas that might speed designing in ScrapMatch up:

1) Diagonal Pipes
2) Attachment points midway down a pipe, so that I don't have to create a 35cm pipe to get into the middle of a 70cm pipe

The current diagonal system works, but it could be bettered - I'm cool with working with the way it is until an alternative comes, though.

I get your problem with the panels, and I'm pretty cool with it - maybe being able to create a panel from 4 points as well as 3 might be able to streamline it? I'm not really sure, I ain't a games designer, I've just got ideas.

Anyway, what you've got so far is awesomely awesome. Everyone on GTM is backing you, dawg. Keep up with it, and I'll try to help in any way I can - probably won't be able to do much, maybe chip in a few textures or a few arena ideas here and there.

Keep working at it, man. You're gonna go places.
I'll try to think of something.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I was just going to ask, when it does reach the full game, which I know is quite sometime, what will you do? Will you carry on adding on updates? Maybe put this on different gaming devices cause I'm pretty sure that lots of robotics or technology fans will love this game, I'm just intrigued,

anyway about the game, this is looking awesome and only is still in alpha, honestly I really like where this will go  :mrgreen:

Offline Sic

• Beetleweight
  • Bots and stuff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
I was just going to ask, when it does reach the full game, which I know is quite sometime, what will you do? Will you carry on adding on updates? Maybe put this on different gaming devices cause I'm pretty sure that lots of robotics or technology fans will love this game, I'm just intrigued,

anyway about the game, this is looking awesome and only is still in alpha, honestly I really like where this will go  :mrgreen:
Actually I just got myself an Android tablet. Yeah I guess I'll port it to tablets at some point, and on phones as well if they can handle it. I will definitely keep updating with official updates while keeping it as moddable as possible. I'm not sure yet, but I hope I can add some opensource code for the components so that whoever wants to can start adding to the game at next alpha.

Also I think I broke something.
An Error Has Occurred!