Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187361 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
Just tried it out. Pretty fun, though there's not much visual indication of damage. It took me a while to figure out if I'd won my first match because I killed them or because time ran out.

Is deformation planned?

Damage and its visual indication are going to be a big part of the next six months of development.  We have played around with mesh deformation, but are not currently satisfied with it.  Right now the effect is extremely low-poly, which would probably look good on a low-poly-styled game, but looks really bad when we are going for photorealism.

My guess is that we will have more success going with damage textures, rather than mesh deformation.  If you are interested, be sure to join the closed beta to see things progress.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2018, 09:16:00 AM »
This build looks to be a really big step forward for the game. I've been playtesting recently and have found some bugs that might need some attention.
1:Attracted to pit
This bug occurs with all bots I've tested with where the AI decides to chase a spot on the pit rather than the player
2:Disappearing Screws
TR3 is the only bot I've seen do this but it does it consistently if put in this position.
3:Stuck in Ground:
This bug only seems to affect Bubblegum due to the size of its weapon. It will also do this occasionally on solid ground if it lands right.
4:Crazy Chain
If D.B MK II rotates too violently or something gets in between the chain it responds by totally freaking out.
5:Spawn Bug
This is a very specific bug that only occurs with D.B MK II and TR3 and only occurs in this arena.
Also, I haven't gone too far into depth with the botlab but the first two designs I created seemed to have the wheels clip through the floor, thus making it undriveable despite the wheels spinning.
Hopefully this information and videos below were helpful and I can't wait to see what comes in the next update  :mrgreen:

Wow!  Thanks for the details.  The videos are a big help.

I'm hoping that once we take a close look at physics for BotLab robots, we can start sorting these issues out for the pregenerated "house" robots.  Ideally, if we can get the BotLab to the point where all of the house robots are built in the BotLab, we can completely ignore all of these bugs that existed in the Alpha release.  Of course, if we do get there, we are going to have plenty of new bugs. :)

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »
BLA BLA I QUOTED THE WRONG POST

MENTIONS AI COMBAT BASED MULTIPLAYER AND WHAT NOT.
hey! thats... totally reasonable.

no luck on the error i got though, eh? just gotta get a new one for this thing?
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
I don't think developers should be held hostage to ancient standards by people who refuse to upgrade to at least semi-recent software/hardware. There's no good reason to be running a 32 bit OS (or any version of Vista for that matter) in 2018.
go to hell im running xp why dont you buy me a new computer big boy

but it is 64 bit

im signing up to test
You're running on an operating system that is no longer getting security patches. This is the equivalent of living in a house with no lock on the front door. Actually, it's more like living in a house with a hole where a front door should be, with huge neon signs pointing to the hole saying "FREE STUFF IN HERE". You don't need to buy a new PC to upgrade the operating system to a newer, safe version.

Upgrade to at least windows 7 or a lightweight linux distro if you want to be supported by any software in the future. If Microsoft doesn't bother with your OS's security anymore, there's no reason why 3rd party software developers should.
it's not my computer so i can't do much of anything without permission to do so and i'd hate to screw up the man's computer trying to upgrade it to another operating system. he's big on the whole 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy, and the fact that certain things i want to do might not work isn't going to be the thing that changes his mind.

now starting the alpha version up, i got tjis error message. i imagine this is a byproduct of having an old computer and or operating system but if this is something resolvable i would ****ing kill to know how to fix it and get this running. im clicking the right thing to open it, right?

Sorry about that error!  I don't have an XP machine to test it on, so I'm afraid that I am no help there.

I wonder, maybe it is possible to do one of the virtual gaming rigs to get access to Windows 10 and a newer graphics card?  I know it is not ideal for many people, but I was thinking of doing it myself.  I have a nice monitor, but no ability to install a graphics card on my laptop.  Next year, maybe...

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
I downloaded the alpha on my main rig. When I tryed to start a loacal match or click on the left button at all, It just crashed the game. The bot lab is nice, although it is kind of hard to build, And the last button did not seem to work.
RAM: 8GB
CPU: AMD 3800

Also i would appriciate a 32 bit build of this as well. (I can also test on XP if you make a 32 bit)

You should consider also porting this to IOS and Android, it would be the best game in this genre for Mobile.

I signed up to be a beta tester as well. Great game! 
Best Regards, Asbestosstar

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
I downloaded the alpha on my main rig. When I tryed to start a loacal match or click on the left button at all, It just crashed the game. The bot lab is nice, although it is kind of hard to build, And the last button did not seem to work.
RAM: 8GB
CPU: AMD 3800

Also i would appriciate a 32 bit build of this as well. (I can also test on XP if you make a 32 bit)

You should consider also porting this to IOS and Android, it would be the best game in this genre for Mobile.

I signed up to be a beta tester as well. Great game! 
Best Regards, Asbestosstar

Oof.  Sorry to hear that.  We just took out the Impact Deformable script, which should help.  I don’t know about the Athlon 3800 though.  It was introduced in 2006, and I don’t think we are going to be able to get to a place performance-wise where it will be worth attempting to run the game on it.  We are pushing the CPU pretty hard on 2013-era machines.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
For a point of reference, the Alpha version of the game runs on a 2013 Macbook Air with an integrated GPU and a CPUmark score of 2700.  Not perfectly, but it is playable.  I can’t make any promises for the future though.  We still have a lot of physics left to figure out, and right now that is the limiting factor.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
honestly just ignore asbestos. hes fixated on archaic outdated computers for whatever reason and probably isnt worth your time

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2018, 11:17:26 PM »
Dont be so quick to judge, i think its pretty new my main rig. 3.8ghz with 4 processors. I am just want
a 32 bit build for my other macines. It only prolly takes 5 minutes to do.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »
He's also running a beta version of windows server for some reason. Ignore him.

@Asbes
You can't expect to run games made in 2018 on hardware or software that is well over a decade old.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2018, 05:26:16 AM »
Dont be so quick to judge, i think its pretty new my main rig. 3.8ghz with 4 processors. I am just want
then you do it
the heavy is dead

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:59 AM »
Ignore Asbestos.

@Asbes
You can't run a game made in 2018 on the old hardware/software. Get yourself some new hardware.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
Tfw i have a better pc then asbest
Yet to test the alpha

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »

By any chance would you be willing to run CPUmark on your machine so we can get numbers to work with?  It is helpful to be able to correlate game performance to benchmark performance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:18:44 PM by cjbruce »

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
He either has a single core Athlon 64 3800+
PassMark score is 588
Or dual core Athlon 64 3800x2
PassMark score is 1001

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
can anyone think of enough ideas for threads about this game yet that it needs a whole new subforum? i think yall might be jumping the gun a little bit. this thread alone has been containing things well enough so far, i think.

dont forget how cluttered this place used to be.
who love to party

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »
hell, this thread is direct linked in the announcements up top-- it's already easily accessible from the front page of the forum. not trying being a hater but i think i make a valid point here
who love to party

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »
It was given it's own subforum as before the announcement it was buried at the bottom of the forum in the last subsection of the last subforum. We felt that it has shown enough progress and promise (Let's be honest, it's pretty much better than RA3 already and that was given a whole forum section when it came out) to at least be featured more prominently on the forum. This also then allows us to use the announcement feature for other messages.

As for the whole "clutter" thing, I don''t see how adding one subforum is cluttering the forum up compared to back when we had like 5+ sections with only one active topic each. 

Offline toAst

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »
i agree with all of that except for now we've added a subforum with one active topic by removing the only active topic in another subforum

knaw mean?

i figured all twentysomething of us knew where to find it just fine. but hey, whatevs  :dance:
who love to party

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
I never thought I'd say this but I agree with toAst.