Author Topic: RW Arenas of Destruction Modding!  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RW Arenas of Destruction Modding!
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:10:26 AM »
I extracted the game's files with QuickBMS, (in the same way skullkid2000 did when extracting the house robots on his thread) and I made some modifications to one of the tournament files and made this:

Basically, a tournament that acts like an annihilator from the original TV series, where 1 robot is eliminated each round, starting with 6 robots.

Credit to skullkid2000 for sending me the bms script used to do this
Sometimes this game is on crack.
and now craaig knows how sakurai felt

Offline cephalopod

Re: RW Arenas of Destruction Modding!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
Dude that's awesome! I'm guessing with mods like this you could really make AoD quite interesting!
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
Dude that's awesome! I'm guessing with mods like this you could really make AoD quite interesting!
Thanks! Tournaments seem to be the one thing that're pretty flexible in what you can modify. Unfortunatley there isn't much interesting that can be done with many other files. Although It might be possible to convert user made robots to AI versions. Original AI bots would have to be replaced as it doesn't seem possible to add completely new files.

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Master of the House Robots
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
Finally I am, like I commented on the video, not alone on this! Thanks for sharing! :D
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Can you mod the commentary to be less annoying?

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »
Can you mod the commentary to be less annoying?
Depends what you mean by less annoying. It's possible to edit/replace the audio files, but it would probably require hacking the exe to make the commentary play less often (or for a similar modification)

Offline daleksec7

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • Working hard
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
can you replace the house robots with competing robots?

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
Is this possible, I would mod RW AOD with the new tournament called Fire Forest where house robots are replaced by firestorm.

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29:03 AM »
Yes...sort of...

It is possible to make a regular robot a house bot and it's also possible for the game to load it properly. I basically did this by renaming some normal bots to house bot file names, in order to trick the game, but for some reason for all of the 'new' house robots are duplicates of each other. For example, i renamed firestorm, hypno-disc and razer to sgt bash, sir killalot and matlida respectively (I left shunt alone cuz the game crashes if you try to replace it) but the arena was filled with 3 hypno-disc house bots + shunt. So it doesn't work perfectly.

The other method I tried was modifying the arena to load competitors where it would load house robots but it caused glitchy behaviour. No house robots would spawn at all and the arena flipper and pit cover disappeared. weird!

Here's a vid with the 3 hypno-discs though:

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
There is also a value in global.dat inside the lumpy.dat with text that says "DisablePlayerDamage". The value is, as you would probably guess, of course set to 0. Change it to 1, and enjoy a "virtually" indestructible robot!

NOTE: This sometimes fails to apply though... sometimes is seems as if the player robot can STILL take damage. No idea why this occurs though...  have been troubleshooting this since early 2014... no luck so far...  :(

EDIT: I also have modded Dead Metal's collision mesh, so that he is now unflippable, just like the rest of the house robots in the games, both Arenas of Destruction and Extreme Destruction :)
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
There is also a value in global.dat inside the lumpy.dat with text that says "DisablePlayerDamage". The value is, as you would probably guess, of course set to 0. Change it to 1, and enjoy a "virtually" indestructible robot!

NOTE: This sometimes fails to apply though... sometimes is seems as if the player robot can STILL take damage. No idea why this occurs though...  have been troubleshooting this since early 2014... no luck so far...  :(

EDIT: I also have modded Dead Metal's collision mesh, so that he is now unflippable, just like the rest of the house robots in the games, both Arenas of Destruction and Extreme Destruction :)
How did you modify the collision mesh? Is that what all the .col files are?

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »

How did you modify the collision mesh? Is that what all the .col files are?

Correct! I swapped Dead Metal's one for Sir Killalot's for example, and ALSO tweaked the "COMSHIFT" value inside "deadmetal_chassis.chs" file. That way, he's now unflippable ;)

NOTE: One downside to this... he can still land on his front. But then just open and close his claws and he'll fall down onto his wheels again! :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:17:02 AM by SkullKid2000 »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid