Author Topic: Robot Arena 1  (Read 30772 times)

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
Re: Robot Arena 1
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »
RA1 sucks for  one main reason: they cut the physics engine late in its development. Had it been implemented, we could have had that kickass forklift weapon.
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
On the components.txt, which parameter on the spikes is the damage causing thingy
I never really bothered to tweak the game's files on a serious level. So I'm not sure.

1. Lack of customization You can customize your parts/arenas/robots a lot easier then you can, in RA2
2. Variety of enemies RA1 lacks Pop-ups, and saw blades are actually a thing.
3. Every time you came into contact with another bot, everything stops. Because the Opponent is constantly moving in your same direction, and you can't drive out of it
4. Bots EXPLODE after you kill them Explosions are cooler
5. Lack of parts RA1 has radar jammers, giant speakers, skull decorations, etc
6. Lack of part positioning
7. Chassis look really weird Why is that a bad thing? Different chassis lead to unusual designs, and further increasing the originality
8. Bots cannot leave the ground This is only due to the fact the forklift was never fully completed, so it's not a valid complaint, as both RA1 and RA2 fell short on budgets

6 is your only valid argument.
And Andrew is right. Yes, RA1 is cheesy, but it's a good kind of cheesy.
(And apparently one that I like to play around with)
On the components.txt, which parameter on the spikes is the damage causing thingy
I never really bothered to tweak the game's files on a serious level. So I'm not sure.

1. Lack of customization You can customize your parts/arenas/robots a lot easier then you can, in RA2
3. Every time you came into contact with another bot, everything stops. Because the Opponent is constantly moving in your same direction, and you can't drive out of it
7. Chassis look really weird Why is that a bad thing? Different chassis lead to unusual designs, and further increasing the originality
8. Bots cannot leave the ground This is only due to the fact the forklift was never fully completed, so it's not a valid complaint, as both RA1 and RA2 fell short on budgets

1. How so? In RA2, you can move and rotate parts freely around your chassis.
2. By "Variety of enemies" I meant that there are only a few enemies.
3. An explaination doesn't make it not suck. There should have been some sort of pushing mechanic.
4. Okay, I guess so.
5. In RA2, there are LOADS of different things that you can use as a weapon.
6. Gotcha :)
7. True, but what robot ever looks even remotely like one of those weird chassis? The second wedge one was the only exception.
8. You say that a forklift was SUPPOSED to be in it, but it's not in it.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »
1. How so? In RA2, you can move and rotate parts freely around your chassis. This is reason 6, not 1
2. By "Variety of enemies" I meant that there are only a few enemies. RA2 promoted Multiplayer/Online battles more then RA2 did, so they were more for Player vs player battles, to let them come up with something
3. An explaination doesn't make it not suck. There should have been some sort of pushing mechanic. This is why jammers exist, to let you get free n' junk
4. Okay, I guess so.
5. In RA2, there are LOADS of different things that you can use as a weapon. Nothing is as cool as the chainsaws and switchblades
7. True, but what robot ever looks even remotely like one of those weird chassis? The second wedge one was the only exception. Neither RA1 OR RA2 went for realism
8. You say that a forklift was SUPPOSED to be in it, but it's not in it. You say that AI parts were SUPPOSED to be usable by the player, but they weren't - This argument is moot
Again, 6 is your only valid reason.
Both RA1 and RA2 have their pros and cons. Yes, RA1 is simplistic and goofy, but it's what RA2 was made off of.

Offline Hard Bot

• Were you looking for someone else?
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • My RAM is full of .bot files
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
1. How so? In RA2, you can move and rotate parts freely around your chassis. This is reason 6, not 1
2. By "Variety of enemies" I meant that there are only a few enemies. RA2 promoted Multiplayer/Online battles more then RA2 did, so they were more for Player vs player battles, to let them come up with something
3. An explaination doesn't make it not suck. There should have been some sort of pushing mechanic. This is why jammers exist, to let you get free n' junk
4. Okay, I guess so.
5. In RA2, there are LOADS of different things that you can use as a weapon. Nothing is as cool as the chainsaws and switchblades
7. True, but what robot ever looks even remotely like one of those weird chassis? The second wedge one was the only exception. Neither RA1 OR RA2 went for realism
8. You say that a forklift was SUPPOSED to be in it, but it's not in it. You say that AI parts were SUPPOSED to be usable by the player, but they weren't - This argument is moot
Both RA1 and RA2 have their pros and cons. Yes, RA1 is simplistic and goofy, but it's what RA2 was made off of.

Could it be possible to get a Forklift in the game? I found two beta screenshots from GameSpot:

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2013, 02:22:21 PM »
Old news is old. Yes, you can put a forklift in the game but it doesn't do anything.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
4. Okay, I guess so.

Could it be possible to get a Forklift in the game? I found two beta screenshots from GameSpot:
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Hey that's cool. Did you show Enigma? If you didn't, get him online so he can see it, and then stay.