Author Topic: Medarot DS (and other medabots/medarot games)  (Read 4135 times)

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Medarot DS (and other medabots/medarot games)
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
has anyone ever played any medabot/medarot game?
i have done the metabee version of medabots AX and play both versions of the medabots RPG on GBA (better known as Medarot 2 CORE). i am now busy in the Kuwagata version of Medarot DS. hard to follow as it's all in Japanese, but i manage.

so, what about you guys?
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Medarot DS (and other medabots/medarot games)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Once played the GBA game, but to be frank, it annoyed me. If you want to know why, just ask.

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
1. which of the GBA games?
2. why did it annoy you? (wouldn't be surprised if it was AX that annoyed you.)

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
The only thing I remember about it was a version of it subtitled "Metabee". Other than that, I don't remember the title.

Now, onto why it annoyed me...one of the first ones I'll mention was the system of losses. When you lose in a non-major battle (IE. The "I'll give you a Medapart if you win" type), you lose a component. Now that wouldn't be so bad if it were simply choosing something out of your inventory to give, instead of it automatically choosing the most powerful weapon you have on your Medabot at the time (For instance, at the beginning of Mt. Odero, I had the MegaLaser. I lost to the cheap Knight-bot thing, and it automatically selected that   :rage ), no matter how rare it is or how hard you worked to get it. Imagine if Pokemon had a system whereby if you lost, you had to forfeit your most powerful pokemon in your party- it's like that almost.
However, if you lose a Major battle (IE. One that drives the plot forwards), you automatically get a Game Over!

Then there's the random jumps in difficulty. In other RPGs, like Pokemon and Final Fantasy for example, it gently eases you in, allowing you to get used to the system and gradually improve in strength to take on the next challenge. Not so in Medabots. There, you'll get random spikes of difficulty at certain points which in most cases you have little to no chance of clearing without getting punished or being forced to keep dying at. Such examples I can name are the entrance to Mt Odero, and the part inside the cave with the Robo Gang. I had to stop playing at the latter point because of the huge difficulty jump.

Plus there were other slight niggles which annoyed me. One factor was how you couldn't name your individual robots (Like you could with Metabee at the start of the game), but instead you must name medals, which will no doubt swap between various tinpets/chassis. Another was the random battles- in Pokemon, you could at least choose whether or not you wanted to fight someone at a certain time, but here, you're thrown into random fights regardless of your current status!

So yes, a title which generally annoyed me all-round. Shame really, because with a few changes, it might've been pretty decent.

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
well that was the RPG you played then, known as Medarot 2 CORE. was the only RPG game released worldwide too.

i must say that it can indeed be annoying that when you lose, you lose a strong or rare part. i just always turn off the system and turn it on again. something else that works is simply not losing. hearing you did the metabee version, winning is overall easier. the Rokusho version is harder, and is the version i play now too with quite the good team.

yeah, some fights are just meant to be hard. mostly just being bossbattles. when i was younger and didn't have any tactics at all, this was indeed a huge difference in difficulty. but these days, it cal all be fairly easy. i just see them as the more challenging fights. the point of medabots is that you always need to think of what you are doing.
as for that fight where you called it quits, here is how to make it easy.
equip the leader of your party, most commonly Metabee, with a part from Gorem. best to replace the head or the right arm with a Gorem part. if possible, do the same for your partners. this will cause to at least your leader to be invulnerable to missiles, which the partners of the rubberrobo use. in the battle, just keep attacking with mainly the left arm of Metabee. it's quick and fairly powerful. the leader medabot of the rubberrobo uses shield parts, so it will be taking all the hits while you can't be harmed. easy victory.
the second run trought the game i didn't do the above, it would have been to easy for me.

my medals don't change tinpet or body that much. and when i modify my medabot, it's only temporary.
you get rubberrobo medals. those can be used to avoid random encounters. and current status? all you medabots are at full health at the beginning of each battle.
also, comparing this to pokemon is wrong.
the title is decent, or even more then that, tho some parts should have been balanced out more, like they did for Medarot DS.

also, my team in the GBA RPG, Rokusho version:
Rokusho, to use it's scouting radar at the start of a fight and then attack with either sword or hammer (depends on situation).
E.M.P. (yay cuntome name, mainly because it exists out of random parts), uses freezing parts, not for the purpose of temporary just stopping one of the enemy medabots tho.
PoisonCopy, to attack with its melt attacks. this is overall also the strongest from my team, all because of the overpowered flow damage that i inflict with it.

the stratigy behind this is pure at the start of a fight. using radar, then E.M.P. is sure to land a hit on the closest enemy. that enemy gets freeze status. directly after, poisoncopy comes in with his strongest arm, attacking the frozen enemy, by default, landing a critical hit. this deals major damage and at some points takes out one of the enemy medabots instantly. and that is how i have no trouble winning.

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
I'm shocked that other Medabot fans exist.

IMO, Belzelga is like the best Medabot in Medabots Metabee(the turn based one for GBA)
Though as a close 2nd, any Medabot that uses a Jellyfish Medal is awesome.
Srsly guise, missles/napalm for teh win

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:09:09 AM »
i'm not to fond of Belzelga, seeing it uses sacrifice parts instead of just hard bashing. also, it lacks armour.
100% hit chance is good, but most of the time, lack damage. in the metabee version, i like to have Stingray on my team. fast and strong laser attacks. but a weak point on both optic and missile type weaponry... attach a cancel optic or cancel missile part and you won't get hurt be those. soo... no win there.

oh yeah, be as shocked as you can, but medabots is quite awesome.