Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Domanating

• Rep: 18
  • It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
IL-2 Sturmovik
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »

Just wondering if anyone in here plays it. It has one of the biggest communities of the simulator world. It is still a very small community compared to most popular games so it makes me wonder if, by pure luck, there's anyone playing IL-2. Being my favorite game, I had to ask :rolleyes:

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ...is more dangerous...
Re: IL-2 Sturmovik
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
My dad got me this game for my 14th or 15th birthday and I still play it today, it's amazing.

I suck at it but it's amazing XD

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
Yeah, the game requires a lot of practice. It took me 2 years to be just a decent pilot in multiplayer. I started playing Il-2 when i was just 10 years old. So it's been 9 years with this game already and I still love it :approve:

The game is very old but it's far from dying. It still has patches coming out and it has one of the biggest modding communities I've ever seen.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
Yeah, the game requires a lot of practice. It took me 2 years to be just a decent pilot in multiplayer. I started playing Il-2 when i was just 10 years old. So it's been 9 years with this game already and I still love it :approve:

The game is very old but it's far from dying. It still has patches coming out and it has one of the biggest modding communities I've ever seen.
I'm willing to contest to that last part; I've seen pretty large modding communities before.

I can at least dive down in my MiG and take popshots at whatever is on the ground, and I can take down a Me-262 (the jet one) at veteran difficulty. I can also keep enemy MiG's at ace difficulty off of my tail for some time but I can never wing around and blast them.

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

I'm willing to contest to that last part; I've seen pretty large modding communities before.

I can at least dive down in my MiG and take popshots at whatever is on the ground, and I can take down a Me-262 (the jet one) at veteran difficulty. I can also keep enemy MiG's at ace difficulty off of my tail for some time but I can never wing around and blast them.

In terms of simulator games I can only think of Silent hunter as another big modding community but i might be wrong.

A good tactic to get on the computer controlled fighters is to dive and fly really close to the ground. Sometimes they break off the chase for a short period and you can profit that moment to turn around and engage them. Tougher difficulty fighters aren't fooled that easy but in general it works.
I've already flown all planes and I keep on testing the new ones the modders create. One of the best things they've done was the atomic bomb :mrgreen:

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

In terms of simulator games I can only think of Silent hunter as another big modding community but i might be wrong.

A good tactic to get on the computer controlled fighters is to dive and fly really close to the ground. Sometimes they break off the chase for a short period and you can profit that moment to turn around and engage them. Tougher difficulty fighters aren't fooled that easy but in general it works.
I've already flown all planes and I keep on testing the new ones the modders create. One of the best things they've done was the atomic bomb :mrgreen:
Ah, simulator games. That I dunno.

But, the modding communities for SLR:R, the RVZT community, the different but intertwined modding communities of Carmageddon 2/3, the entire horde of M.U.G.E.N. communities... they're all pretty large, and GTA:SA's modding community sizes are ridiculous, so yeah  :mrgreen:

I never figured out how to fly the Jet planes (Me-262, He-somethingoranother) or the massive planes (Me-323, He-117 Zwilling, Pe-8 bis, etc) or anything else that isn't usually allowed for the player to use in the custom mission or whatever mode.

I suck at the actual missions, I don't have the patience to fly everywhere and I end up breaking off of the formation to go hunt down random things XD

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »

Ah, simulator games. That I dunno.

But, the modding communities for SLR:R, the RVZT community, the different but intertwined modding communities of Carmageddon 2/3, the entire horde of M.U.G.E.N. communities... they're all pretty large, and GTA:SA's modding community sizes are ridiculous, so yeah  :mrgreen:

I never figured out how to fly the Jet planes (Me-262, He-somethingoranother) or the massive planes (Me-323, He-117 Zwilling, Pe-8 bis, etc) or anything else that isn't usually allowed for the player to use in the custom mission or whatever mode.

I suck at the actual missions, I don't have the patience to fly everywhere and I end up breaking off of the formation to go hunt down random things XD

Yes, those games have insanely huge modding communities. But I meant for the Simulator genre, sorry for the misunderstanding, there.
Forget the single missions and the career mode. They are boring as heck and I never seen anyone actually completing all those missions. I just did one career and 2 or 3 single missions and that's it, lol.
Well, the jet planes are basically like prop planes but, with jets, lol. I don't see where's the difference in difficulty. Maybe you should be more specific.
Most massive planes and some fighters only the computer can fly but the mods allow you to fly all of them. The Pe-8 however, with the new 4.11.1 version is now flyable for players.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_262 This is the Me-262. In game, at regular speed it's faster than my MiG (even when in emergency power) and at Ace difficulty, you just can't shake it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henschel_Hs_132 This is the other one (or at least, is really close to it) and it isn't as bad but I haven't fought it as much.

I'll have to check out this community, got a link?

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_262 This is the Me-262. In game, at regular speed it's faster than my MiG (even when in emergency power) and at Ace difficulty, you just can't shake it off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henschel_Hs_132 This is the other one (or at least, is really close to it) and it isn't as bad but I haven't fought it as much.

I'm perfectly aware of what jet planes you meant. I suppose you're using the jet MIG-9 but those are just unreliable. The German jets were very good. Well the HS-132 has never flown in real life, though. But they are usually easy to shake off by making sharp turns. They go too fast and cant make the turn as sharp as yours do. But you'll have a hard time catching them.

Here you go, m8

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »

I'm perfectly aware of what jet planes you meant. I suppose you're using the jet MIG-9 but those are just unreliable. The German jets were very good. Well the HS-132 has never flown in real life, though. But they are usually easy to shake off by making sharp turns. They go too fast and cant make the turn as sharp as yours do. But you'll have a hard time catching them.

Here you go, m8

I'm using a MiG-3ud (not sure if that's what you meant) it's a fighter, not a jet :P

This site is pretty cool, I like what I see  :bigsmile:

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Here you go, m8

I'm using a MiG-3ud (not sure if that's what you meant) it's a fighter, not a jet :P

A propeller fighter vs a jet fighter? You're insane, lol. The only way to effectively engage the jet with that Mig is if you're flying considerably higher than the jet itself. If not it will be very hard. The only WWII propelled fighter that could compete against the ME-262 at the same altitude was the P-51 Mustang.

You will be overloaded with Mods there  :mrgreen:
If you intend to install mods I very very very VEEEERY highly recommend that you backup your entire game folder. Personal experience speaking. I had to reinstall Il-2 about 4 times because I messed up the game with badly installed mods.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »

Here you go, m8

A propeller fighter vs a jet fighter? You're insane, lol. The only way to effectively engage the jet with that Mig is if you're flying considerably higher than the jet itself. If not it will be very hard. The only WWII propelled fighter that could compete against the ME-262 at the same altitude was the P-51 Mustang.

You will be overloaded with Mods there  :mrgreen:
If you intend to install mods I very very very VEEEERY highly recommend that you backup your entire game folder. Personal experience speaking. I had to reinstall Il-2 about 4 times because I messed up the game with badly installed mods.
Very rarely do I backup anything (RA2 included  ;)) but I'll have to take your word on that.

Yeah, I'm insane :P I like to take it as a bit of a challenge though, it's possible to take one out by flying at the same altitude but like you said, it's hard. There are some obvious targets though, knocking out either one of their motors will make them a lot less evasive and then you can pick them off from there or leave them.

And yes, I will be overloaded with mods. I'm one of those guys who took his version of GTA:SA and force fed mods down its throat and did the same with Carmageddon 2 and Re-Volt and never made a back up  :mrgreen:

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
The mods in general are now safer and less confusing so it's less likely that you'll screw the game up. When I first found this, the community was still very young and the mods were much harder to install. You had to add lines to text files and go to independent folders to add or remove files. There are still mods that require manual installing but way less. I still recommend you to backup the game, though. You never know :rolleyes:

True, the ME-262 motors are very weak and catch fire fairly easily. The pilot usually jumps out when the one of the motors catches fire.

Ah yes, GTA SA and its tanks that take flight with every shot. I also loved to install WWII fighters and strafe the cities with them. Just like Il-2, lol. Or flying over the secret American base and see how long I could survive :mrgreen:
Now I sacrificed SA for GTAIV and it's superior graphics and physics.
I've never been a big fan of racing games though. The only racing games I have are 'Midtown Madness 2' and 'TrackMania Nations Forever'.
If you like racing games TrackMania is a must have.

Offline Kossokei

• Mr. Kurtsokei
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • You better believe it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »
When it comes to racing games, for me, Re-Volt is a childhood favorite and Carmageddon 2 is just a classic  :rolleyes:

Back on topic; I just (last night) made a thing in the custom mission mode where I can start out at 10000 feet and I basically took the plane into a nosedive and bailed and waited to see how long it would go without crashing (power at 100% with WEP on)

It's so suspenseful, lol

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
When it comes to racing games, for me, Re-Volt is a childhood favorite and Carmageddon 2 is just a classic  :rolleyes:

Back on topic; I just (last night) made a thing in the custom mission mode where I can start out at 10000 feet and I basically took the plane into a nosedive and bailed and waited to see how long it would go without crashing (power at 100% with WEP on)

It's so suspenseful, lol

Lol, I did that too a couple of times. 2 things can happen: or it flies around for hours up and down and turning until it crashes, or the breaks into pieces and explodes before reaching the ground.