Author Topic: Favorite Games of 2017!  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Sircreepalot2

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
  • So how about that airline food?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favorite Games of 2017!
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »
There was one last year, lets keep it rolling, eh?  Here you can share and discuss your favorite games of 2017 and which parts of it you liked best.  You can choose anything that was outstanding to you, whether it be soundtrack, storytelling, gameplay, graphics, or general appeal. 

For example I though Doki Doki Literature Club was an outstanding release this year,  with the best storytelling of anything ive played and taking your expectatoins and not giving them too you.  through the lens of an ordinary tacky dating sim it lowers expectations fantastically and going in blind is the way to go.

Other than that, I havent gotten my hands on a switch, but looking forward to Odyssey and splatoon 2.

So anyway, what are your thoughts of this year in gaming?
"You've heard the hymns, whispered throughout the lands. 
ooo macho madness oo o macho madness
OOO MACHO MADNESS OO O MACHO MADNESS"
                      -Macho Man Randy Savage

2nd place in Plan B- mcfreakinloseit

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Favorite Games of 2017!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
my favorite new game this year was probably Breath of the Wild, with Hollow Knight coming in second. Cuphead and Sonic Mania were both really good too. NASCAR Heat 2 sated my hunger for a new racing title, which was great.

Still need to play Odyssey.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:54:53 PM by Badnik96 »

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:32:20 AM »
Gran Turmiso Sport and that it

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 04:44:02 AM »
I played a lot of Wii Fit U this year, that is pretty good.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:32:02 AM »
Let's see....Sonic Mania was a blast, Shadow of War was fantastic (despite the optional micro-transactions, boooo!), Fortnite is great for a free game...oh and Digimon World Next Order was amazing too!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline KillerTurtleG

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 05:39:10 AM »
Didn’t buy a single game released in 2017 this year. Go me, so i guess CS has to be the best game of 2017 for me. Which makes perfect sense  :really_makes_you_think:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:12:59 AM »
Oh god... Lemme see
Sonic Mania ofc
PUBG, with its new map
Forza 7, just love the 4k cars
Wreckfest (techincally, it's a 2016 game, but most recent update just made the game million times better)
Cuphead
Dirt 4 - Track generator is lit af
NFS Payback, really love the game

Dissapoints:
GT Sport - Good gume, but too short, a shame
Flatout 4, sad to see it like this
Super Mario odyssey (doesnt feel like mario to me)

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
Well because my laptop isn't powerful enough and I don't have the latest home console. I cannot really say much from watching the games then playing them. But I did enjoy playing the remake of Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on the 3DS though.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Rainbow Six
Overwatch
CSGO
That's it
Things I did & done

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
my favorite new game this year was probably Breath of the Wild, with Hollow Knight coming in second. Cuphead and Sonic Mania were both really good too. NASCAR Heat 2 sated my hunger for a new racing title, which was great.

Still need to play Odyssey.

Those souncd great,

I just recently got a WIIU i should play  BOTW. I also liked Asbestosstar's J#4Life! Which came out in 2017 but started development in 2016. As well as 2DForLife!.
I also like some other games will post later. Need Sonic Mania.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
Didn't play a lot of new games in 2017, but Sonic Mania is right up there as one of my favorites though.  Might also get a chance to play titles last minute on Steam when I get a chance before the year ends.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
How good is botw, guys?
My friend has it on WiiU, and thinking of trying my luck on cemu

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
i use cemu sometimes to test my WIIU development, it is not to good, but ok.
Every one is saying how good BOTW is, i heard there are still a few WIIU games to be made.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 04:43:21 AM »
Fortnite was is a lot of fun for a free game, also been playing through Horizon Zero Dawn with my girlfriend (as she has a PS4 and I have an Xbox One) which I'm quite enjoying so far. I don't get new games a lot anymore so I appreciate my opinion doesn't count much but the few I have bought this year I've been a bit disappointed with

Offline Mouldy

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Still can't make robots after 20 years.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Mr.Kinch
Re: Favourite Games of 2017!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:51 AM »
I don't normally play new releases but I've played a few choice ones this year.

Fortnite, Sonic Mania, Cuphead, Software Inc, Legacy of the Duelist, Sniper Elite 4, Tekken 7, Tooth and Tail, Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Oddessy are all games from last year I enjoyed.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Favourite Games of 2017!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
Cuphead
Although I haven't completed almost any of it, Cuphead is so much fun.
I know they were out in 2016, but I got into playing Oxenfree and Infinite Warfare (Zombies) as well as starting to play other games released a while ago like Hotline Miami and BO1 too

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
For some reason I rarely play new games nowadays. For me it's always been Minecraft, TF2, RA2, pokemon showdown, and random steam games I got a long time ago.

I made myself play doki doki literature club, which was wonderful. I've also tried playing Battlerite, which is an arena style game (think dota/league but with no monsters or bases or items or leveling, just killing each other with skills on cooldowns), and I thought the gameplay was pretty good although it was lacking in a lot of other departments.

Offline kaiser

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: kaiser#0050
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
For some reason I rarely play new games nowadays. For me it's always been Minecraft, TF2, RA2, pokemon showdown, and random steam games I got a long time ago.

I made myself play doki doki literature club, which was wonderful. I've also tried playing Battlerite, which is an arena style game (think dota/league but with no monsters or bases or items or leveling, just killing each other with skills on cooldowns), and I thought the gameplay was pretty good although it was lacking in a lot of other departments.

I am glad I read this thread, Pokemon Showdown is pretty cool! I have long thought that a browser-based game like this wouldn't be too difficult. Thanks!
Battles are won in the bot lab, tournaments are won in the bindings.py

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 01:28:13 PM »
The only 2017 game I've played a decent amount is PUBG, which hates my computer. Great game though.
this might be a little unrelated but it's as good a place as any to post my top 20 games of all time I suppose. I listed them in order of impact for me over the course of my life or whatever.

Game (first played date, not release date)
20. Strike Vector (2013)
   Incredibly solid third-person Quake-esque arena shooter with spaceships. Very fast-paced. I haven't played it as much as many of the games on this list, but it left so much of an impression in that time that I had to put it on.
19. Miniclip (2005)
   What person in middle school didn't play miniclip (or teagames or nitrome)? This may not count as "a game" but dangit you know what I mean. I KNOW YOU WERE THERE TOO
18. Oregon Trail: 5th Edition (2003)
   Played this a ton in grade school. 90 year old Jedidiah and his 5 pre-teen grandkids generally didn't make it to the west coast with their Conestoga full of grandfather clocks unfortunately.
17. Pearl Harbor: Zero Hour (2003)
   This obscure super-low budget WWII fighter game that I oddly have fond memories of. Very arcadey gameplay. Once you beat level 10 you unlocked BS cheat ships like a Raptor and UFO and had to go on a mission back in time to save Pearl Harbor. I never beat the bonus mission for 10 years and I lost the disk. Fortunately I found an iso like 2 months ago and beat it... it was super lame but I can die happy now and I regret nothing.
16. Champions Online (2011)
   The only MMO I have ever played and likely will ever play. Super mindless, but the gameplay is cathartic to me and I will never not like a game with endless stats and character customization.
15. Minecraft (2011)
   I was alive in 2011.
14. Left 4 Dead 2 (2012)
   Super solid co-op game. Great fun in college.
13. Depth (2015)
   Possibly the only co-op game I would put higher on this list than L4D. It's basically a 4v2 underwater L4D with divers vs sharks. Very fun game and extremely tense. Again, I played this a ton with college bros and that alone makes it worth mentioning.
12. Smash Bros Brawl (2010)
   I don't play it much now, but back in high school I played this a lot. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and had no friends to play with, so I never really got that good. Still, a classic.
11. Mata Nui Online Game I/II (2001)
   Quite possibly one of the best flash games ever made. This was a not-insignificant factor I am still the hopeless Bionicle fanboy I am today. Playing this in 2001 blew my mind, even though I didn't understand much of it. Playing it since then really makes me appreciate how inspired the story and art was in this series. For me, best toy line ever made full stop.
10. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (2002)
   Classic. Got it second hand from my cousin when I was 6 or so? I have 2 and 3 but 1 will always be the one for me.
9. POD (1999)
   Racing game with fairly standard mechanics that game bundled with a lot of Win95s. What sets it apart for me is its super inspired artstyle along with a ton of free DLC, which is even more impressive since it came out in 1997. This is one of the first games I ever played, and I still play it today occasionally.
8. Trackmania United Forever (2009)
   Geez, I played this in 2009 so much it isn't funny. I wasn't even that good, but man did I enjoy every minute of it. Made tons of crappy tracks, got smeared by people that had decent framerates and better driving skills, and I regret nothing.
7. Lego Stunt Rally (2000)
   This is a big deal for me. This game is a (pretty mediocre, honestly) isometric railroaded racing game where you could build your own tracks. I bought this game with my own hard earned $7 when I was 5 years old and I played it straight for over a year. It was my first 'addiction' to a game you could say. It's nothing special as a game but it will forever be important to me.
6. Civilization III-V (2004)
   One of the few games (series) that I reliably play as much now as I did when I first found them. Got Civ III in some scholastic catalog back when I was 8 or 9 and it blew my mind. It might have done more to influence my love of history than I give it credit for. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't be doing the comic I'm doing if it wasn't for this game. Played IV and V a ton as well, both are extremely good games in their own way and outshine III by a long shot.
5. Skyrim (2012)
   Sorry. It was on sale.
4. Lego Racers 2 (2003)
   Yeahhhh boyyyeeeee. Spent more afternoons in 3rd grade playing this thing than I can count. One of the first games I 'beat'. It will always be near and dear to me.
3. Combat Flight Simulator I (2001)
   My dad is a huge WWII history and airplane buff and it rubbed off on me. This is a 1998 game where you just fly around a WWII fighter and shoot stuff. It's pretty realistic with physics and stuff if you want it to be, or you could be like me and turn on unlimited rockets and fly under the Eiffel Tower to dodge ME-109s. This and Lego Racers will forever be the face of grade school gaming for me.
2. Team Fortress 2 (2011)
   Yeah so I was never one for shooters before I tried this. Gave it a shot right after the f2p update and here I am with 2300hrs. And I was still hooked while my only option was to play it with 10fps on my old laptop. Best shooter ever made. Haven't stopped playing it since I started.
1. Robot Arena 2 (2003)
   What can I say? It is the only game besides Civ I play as much today as I did when I was a kid, and its more special to me than Civ by far. We've had ups and downs, but you will always be mine, sweet havoky thing.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
i still remember playing you online on brawl that one time, iirc you kicked my ass