Author Topic: TheRoboteer's Hit and Miss DSL Showcase  (Read 24245 times)

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TheRoboteer's Hit and Miss DSL Showcase
« Reply #720 on: May 10, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
It might just be the music I'm listening to atm or the background used, but the robot looks like it should be Ice themed.
Otherwise the only negative I can think of with this thing is that the panel underneath the flipping arm should be apart of the arm itself.
The panel not being part of the flipper was deliberate. I wanted to do something more along the lines of gruff from this year's Robogames or the original BB season 3.0 Hexadecimal or where the flipper is pretty much just a skeletal frame rather than a big sheet
Notable Guffs That I Dun Gone And Did:

Offline Guldenflame

• That tourney mod that has no idea what he's doing
  • The third most forgettable person here.
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • View Profile
    • Destruction Evolution
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: May 10, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »
It might just be the music I'm listening to atm or the background used, but the robot looks like it should be Ice themed.
Otherwise the only negative I can think of with this thing is that the panel underneath the flipping arm should be apart of the arm itself.
The panel not being part of the flipper was deliberate. I wanted to do something more along the lines of gruff from this year's Robogames or the original BB season 3.0 Hexadecimal or where the flipper is pretty much just a skeletal frame rather than a big sheet
Ah, I see.  I still feel like the robot looks a lot weirder when the robot has its weapon fired, but I guess I'm not the best person to come to when it comes to talking about aesthetics.  Still love the robot.

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: May 11, 2018, 12:45:04 AM »
Ah, I see.  I still feel like the robot looks a lot weirder when the robot has its weapon fired, but I guess I'm not the best person to come to when it comes to talking about aesthetics.  Still love the robot.
I may play around making some variations on this bot to see what looks best in the future. Thanks for the feedback though!

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #723 on: May 14, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
I wanted to try and do a spinner with sir killalot claws for the teeth that didn't look awful, and this is what I came up with. 2 TWMR2s for drive but it has massive wheels so it's pretty nippy. Wedge is a mix of steel and Ti while everything else is aluminium. Perm 132 for the weapon, 799KG exactly

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #724 on: May 16, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
Well after that thunderous response to the last bot here's another. HW flipper with 4NPC fast drive. Way too quick for its own good, and the flipper is fairly underpowered with only 2 very small VDMA bursts for power.

Offline Guldenflame

• That tourney mod that has no idea what he's doing
  • The third most forgettable person here.
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • View Profile
    • Destruction Evolution
    • Awards
« Reply #725 on: May 16, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
Well after that thunderous response to the last bot here's another.
I think that's because no one likes killaclaw spinners.
It was rather bland too.

You can almost say the same for this new bot.
The front ends of the robot are impressive, but that's about it.

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: May 16, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
Well after that thunderous response to the last bot here's another.
I think that's because no one likes killaclaw spinners.
It was rather bland too.

You can almost say the same for this new bot.
The front ends of the robot are impressive, but that's about it.
I'm kind of running out of bot designs I can do at this point. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of covering bots in hundreds of little pieces to make them 'less bland' so it really comes down to the inherent design and there's not really much I feel I've got left to explore in that regard.

If people genuinely feel like my stuff is getting tired then maybe I'll have to resort to building the bot designs I've promised myself I never would, explore other metas or just quit building for fun rather than just building for tournaments because I'm really at a loss for what else to do right now.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Thanks Pokebro. <3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: May 16, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »

Offline TheOrcCorp

• Last DSL HW Champion in the original title system!
  • Middleweight
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
I mean I noted on Discord that I liked the Killalot spinner, it's different. Something about the front wedge seems off though. Boolean is cool too although I'm not sure how I feel about the wheel placement.
I'm kind of running out of bot designs I can do at this point. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of covering bots in hundreds of little pieces to make them 'less bland' so it really comes down to the inherent design and there's not really much I feel I've got left to explore in that regard.
If I had to give any advice, I would say try weirder stuff and look at random things for inspiration. Be experimental. I feel if I stopped building for fun then I'd lose my interest in the game. Don't want that to happen to you as I love your builds! For example, I've been looking at video games for inspiration at the moment, especially arcade and pinball machines. Maybe also perhaps make new versions of really old machines?
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!

Offline Reier

• sometimes I sneak into the women's bathroom and leave all the seats up
  • "tactically challenged" (lit. moron)
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #729 on: May 16, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »
try standard for a challenge of making a bot good instead of pretty
your life may have a narrator but mine has a laughtrack
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
my drawings and stuff if you like that sort of thing
I'm fine with hugging reier

Online TheRoboteer

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: May 17, 2018, 06:01:48 AM »
Decided to take Orc's advice and try rebuilding some old bots to try and regain my building mojo. Here's Lightrider II. Total rebuild compared to the old one. Flipper is much more effective now, being hinged differently and being powered by more powerful bursts (2 mediums). Also upgraded the drive a lot from 2 TWMR singles to 2 TWMR2s wich makes it a lot nippier. Armour is hugely upgraded too with the entire front being steel, and the addition of angled spinner deflector wedgelet things at the front. Also a few extra visual additions but that's about it.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• Last DSL HW Champion in the original title system!
  • Middleweight
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: May 17, 2018, 07:04:08 AM »
Definitely an improvement over the original: happy to see my advice came in useful! :mrgreen:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Epitome of mediocrity
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #732 on: Yesterday at 09:41:14 AM »
Lightrider is definite improvement and looks great.
Boolean looks kind of like a 4wd Azimuth, probably because of the colour scheme, it also looks good to me.
Butterfly effect I really like this too maybe the wedglets stick out a bit too far but Kudos for making a Sir K spinner not look like ass.