Author Topic: TheRoboteer's Hit or Miss DSL Showcase  (Read 135132 times)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
Re: TheRoboteer Tries and Fails at DSL
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »
The way to make this the most competitive is to get rid of the flipper entirely and make it into another tombclone - although I'm pretty sure you don't want to do that. :P

Please post the weight and armour used with your bots, it makes it very hard to recommend upgrades without them.
RIP IRL meta

Will post weight and armour in future posts
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
Here's a post of some tourney / pack entries. First up all of my LDAI submissions

Top left - SHW 1181.5KG: Finity III. Doubled up the bar to 2 Moros blades since the original HW version. Switched the drive to NPC fasts rather than regulars, switched all of the panels to steel and gave it a pole like Naryar suggested ages ago to assist self-righting.

Top middle - HW 795.8 KG: Bocuma II. This one you've seen before. Some minor changes have been made including refining the wedge to be more effective after its loss to Avalanches A.G.E Mk 3, and shuffling the drive motors around a bit.

Top right - CW 598.2 KG: Kiteracer II. Pretty much completely rebuilt since you last saw it. Longer wheelbase so its more controllable, and the armor panels are now sloped at the rear to match the slope of the chassis. Lifter has also been changed as the SMIDSY style jaws, while cool looking, were pretty much useless.

Bottom right - MW 397.2 KG: Spectrum. This one got redesigned about 4 times. Originally started out as a lifter believe it or not. Now a reasonably effective tribar spinner. Flatmotor for the weapon because it's all that would fit.

Bottom middle - LW 247.2 KG: Carcan. Pretty happy with this one, even if it is basically beetleweight sized. Very shortl VDMA for the axe and twin slimbodies with colsons for drive, pretty nippy and self rights reasonably well despite being incredibly slab-sided. Axe is only really effective if the wedge is underneath you, which is unlikely to happen due to it not being a skirt hinge wedge.

Bottom right - BW 173.9 KG: Blockbuster. The less said about this one the better. Flipper is very powerful for a BW due to it being powered by a VDMA very short. However the bot is extremely unstable when driving and has a very hard time getting under stuff. Pretty much confirms that I can't build for sh** below LW (Though it could easily be argued that I can't build for sh** at any weight class :laughing)

And one of my two entries into D.O.T's tournament. My HW is basically a slightly modified version of Ovid II, since renamed to Enceladus. My CW however is entirely new.

It's a wedged VS with a srimech called Sequoia, weighs 591.9 KG, but it's a bit different to the brutus/ witch doctor style. 4WD slimbodies because it's the only thing that would fit. Disc is powered by a Perm 132. Pics below:

Exterior:

Interior:

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
Here's a post of some tourney / pack entries. First up all of my LDAI submissions

(Image removed from quote.)

Top left - SHW 1181.5KG: Finity III. Doubled up the bar to 2 Moros blades since the original HW version. Switched the drive to NPC fasts rather than regulars, switched all of the panels to steel and gave it a pole like Naryar suggested ages ago to assist self-righting.

Top middle - HW 795.8 KG: Bocuma II. This one you've seen before. Some minor changes have been made including refining the wedge to be more effective after its loss to Avalanches A.G.E Mk 3, and shuffling the drive motors around a bit.

Top right - CW 598.2 KG: Kiteracer II. Pretty much completely rebuilt since you last saw it. Longer wheelbase so its more controllable, and the armor panels are now sloped at the rear to match the slope of the chassis. Lifter has also been changed as the SMIDSY style jaws, while cool looking, were pretty much useless.

Bottom right - MW 397.2 KG: Spectrum. This one got redesigned about 4 times. Originally started out as a lifter believe it or not. Now a reasonably effective tribar spinner. Flatmotor for the weapon because it's all that would fit.

Bottom middle - LW 247.2 KG: Carcan. Pretty happy with this one, even if it is basically beetleweight sized. Very shortl VDMA for the axe and twin slimbodies with colsons for drive, pretty nippy and self rights reasonably well despite being incredibly slab-sided. Axe is only really effective if the wedge is underneath you, which is unlikely to happen due to it not being a skirt hinge wedge.

Bottom right - BW 173.9 KG: Blockbuster. The less said about this one the better. Flipper is very powerful for a BW due to it being powered by a VDMA very short. However the bot is extremely unstable when driving and has a very hard time getting under stuff. Pretty much confirms that I can't build for sh** below LW (Though it could easily be argued that I can't build for sh** at any weight class :laughing)

And one of my two entries into D.O.T's tournament. My HW is basically a slightly modified version of Ovid II, since renamed to Enceladus. My CW however is entirely new.

It's a wedged VS with a srimech called Sequoia, weighs 591.9 KG, but it's a bit different to the brutus/ witch doctor style. 4WD slimbodies because it's the only thing that would fit. Disc is powered by a Perm 132. Pics below:

Exterior:

Interior:

I'm liking the blue and black theme here! Reminds of Panzer Mk.4/Black and Blue. Nice range of weaponry too!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
Is it just the one orange batt in sequoia?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
Is it just the one orange batt in sequoia?
Yep. It seems to be more than enough to go the full 3 mins though.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »
This is Nightjar, my planned entry for the next Redditbots (Hence the disgusting skirt wedge. If I ever enter it into something on GTM the skirt wedge will be gone.)

It's mainly designed to at least attempt to counter the spinner heavy meta they have going on there. Sadly weight has meant that the front wedge is partially aluminium, and partially titanium so it isn't gonna be as good at killing spinners as I'd initially hoped. That said it should still be decent, and the bot is fast, manoeuvrable and has a pretty strong flipper so it will hopefully be reasonably competitive.

Weighs 399KG exactly and has Al3 for chassis armour.

Exterior:

Interior:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
> that skirt wedge

Looks solid apart from that. Maybe try and made the wedge and main body more connected, kinda looks like 2 bots glued together atm
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »
> that skirt wedge

Looks solid apart from that. Maybe try and made the wedge and main body more connected, kinda looks like 2 bots glued together atm

my planned entry for the next Redditbots (Hence the disgusting skirt wedge. If I ever enter it into something on GTM the skirt wedge will be gone.)
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
> that skirt wedge

I agree that the wedge and the main chassis look a bit disconnected. I originally had a DSL armour triangle on either side under the angle pieces, which made it look a lot more connected, but they had to be ditched because of weight problems. Weight is the main issue here that's preventing me from doing what I actually want to do with this bot, as there's not really much I can get rid of to find the weight to do more stuff to it.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
> that skirt wedge

my planned entry for the next Redditbots (Hence the disgusting skirt wedge. If I ever enter it into something on GTM the skirt wedge will be gone.)
Yes, thank you, I can and did read that. I felt that the wedge was so bad it was worth repeating, since the point of showcases is advice. Try contributing something instead of sh**posting in a showcase next time.

> that skirt wedge

I agree that the wedge and the main chassis look a bit disconnected. I originally had a DSL armour triangle on either side under the angle pieces, which made it look a lot more connected, but they had to be ditched because of weight problems. Weight is the main issue here that's preventing me from doing what I actually want to do with this bot, as there's not really much I can get rid of to find the weight to do more stuff to it.
Weight is always an issue, maybe change some of the back pllates to polycarb to save weight, or do a small redesign of the front?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
> that skirt wedge

Yes, thank you, I can and did read that. I felt that the wedge was so bad it was worth repeating, since the point of showcases is advice. Try contributing something instead of sh**posting in a showcase next time.

> that skirt wedge

Weight is always an issue, maybe change some of the back pllates to polycarb to save weight, or do a small redesign of the front?
I just tried switching the back panels from Al to Polycarb and it only saved 5kg unfortunately. In terms of redesigning the front end I've been trying to go for an angled 'spinner killer's wedge, which is basically what the whole bot was designed around. Unsure as to how I can redesign the wedge while still maintaining that spinner killer style and function. Any advice?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »
Rebuilt Nightjar from the ground up and managed to find a bit of weight to get a couple of triangle pieces under the angle pieces on the wedge. I think it does a decent job of making the bot look more connected.

Still got some nasty motor clipping out the back due to the nature of NPCS but there's not much that can be done about that. Front wedge construction still a mix of Al and Ti (Main panel is Al, angle pieces are Ti) and armour is slightly upgraded from Al3 to Pl5.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
idk about the alu piece just sticking out tbh

either chisels or the wedge edge accompanying the metal panels would look better

but it's a solid bot
beep beep

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
get

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
just make the skirt wedge the same width as the armor panel

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
beep beep

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
beep beep

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
Please make that skirt wedge red so it looks like a little tongue, going :P at all the other bots.

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones