Author Topic: TheRoboteer's Hit or Miss DSL Showcase  (Read 59295 times)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TheRoboteer's Hit and Miss DSL Showcase
« Reply #780 on: June 28, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
Aaaaand here's another. This one's my SHW for the next Orc's Wars I think and my feelings about it are very much mixed. The name I think is a nice descriptor of the bot itself  :dance:.

My goal with this one was to do something that wasn't a vert or a flipper since most of the rest of my lineup is one of those, so this is what I came up with. I was also insistent on having a dual perm for the weapon motor once I'd decided on an HS, so I went for an S5 wild thing style design. Drive is dual NPC fasts but the tyres have ridiculous grip so it's actually not that slow, and the weapon is powered by a dual perm as mentioned. Srimech is a medium VDMA and the armour is pretty ridiculous with the sides of the wedge having 2 layers of steel plates, plus steel angle corners on top of that to deflect other HSes. How it'll perform is yet to be seen.

Notable Guffs That I Dun Gone And Did:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Trust no one, suspect everyone
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Olister92#9751
« Reply #781 on: June 29, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
I think it looks cool man, I think a disc would suit the shape better than a bar but that might just be personal opinion

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #782 on: June 29, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
I think it looks cool man, I think a disc would suit the shape better than a bar but that might just be personal opinion
Thanks! I went for a bar because I felt that if I went to a disc it would feel like too much of a clone of S5 Wild Thing for me.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #783 on: July 05, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
So I'd been wanting to build something mental and/or stupid for a bit, and last night I had the idea for a 4 bar flipper where at least 1 of the bursts was a beta. This is the result. It's somewhat ugly, and doesn't hold a candle to a conventional 4 bar like Azimuth, but it works and I'm pretty happy with that. When it actually gets under stuff fully (which is pretty rare due to the fairly steep wedge necessitated by the Beta motor's height) it flips really well. I may up the drive at some point from the dual TYWMR2s I have at the moment to try to assist in getting fully under opponents.

I wasn't able to have both bursts be betas unfortunately so the top burst is a wide medium VDMA. This causes 1 other issue as VDMA bursts retract a lot quicker than the beta, which sometimes leads to the bot flipping itself, but after a lot of fine tuning it's now fairly rare.

By most standards it's a pretty ugly bot, but for something with a giant ass beta burst crammed into it I don't think it looks TOO bad. My only personal niggle with it is the hexplates which were the only thing both thin enough and with non-awful APs that would work so I was forced to use them. At least I managed to get them symmetrical though.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #784 on: July 06, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
Fair play for pulling this off and IMO it doesn't look that ugly

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #785 on: July 07, 2018, 06:50:47 PM »
Well since signups are open now I might as well post my Orc's Wars Overclocked lineup here. Not including what events they're in so folks can't enter stuff specifically to counter them  :dance:

They've all been posted in here before but I'll give each bot a quick rundown for those that may have missed them.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #786 on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »
Well since signups are open now I might as well post my Orc's Wars Overclocked lineup here. Not including what events they're in so folks can't enter stuff specifically to counter them  :dance:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

They've all been posted in here before but I'll give each bot a quick rundown for those that may have missed them.

All of your bots are awesome

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 12
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #787 on: July 08, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
Ey, looking great, personally I'd say Dambuster is the weakest of the lot, due to it's lack of KO'ing capabilities compared to the others, but it's probably one of the better looking ones imo.

Also you got a shot of Cicada firing?

How can it be speed demon if theres no speed?  :really_makes_you_think:
Massive IQ

Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #788 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »
Ey, looking great, personally I'd say Dambuster is the weakest of the lot, due to it's lack of KO'ing capabilities compared to the others, but it's probably one of the better looking ones imo.

In terms of fighting Dambuster and maybe Resolute are probably the weakest yeah.

Here's a sh**ty pic of Cicada firing. The fact it works at all surprises me so I'm willing to overlook how godawful it looks when flipping  :dance:

The Speed Demon name was mostly from the fact that it uses the martini racing colour scheme on the chassis. The fast drive of the old one was part of it, buit it just caused too many issues with the bot flipping itself and sucked up weight that could have been used on features that are actually beneficial like a srimech and better armour.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 12
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #789 on: July 08, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »

In terms of fighting Dambuster and maybe Resolute are probably the weakest yeah.

Here's a sh**ty pic of Cicada firing. The fact it works at all surprises me so I'm willing to overlook how godawful it looks when flipping  :dance:

The Speed Demon name was mostly from the fact that it uses the martini racing colour scheme on the chassis. The fast drive of the old one was part of it, buit it just caused too many issues with the bot flipping itself and sucked up weight that could have been used on features that are actually beneficial like a srimech and better armour.

Ah sweet, didn't realise it uses hexplates for supports.
Massive IQ

Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #790 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »

Ah sweet, didn't realise it uses hexplates for supports.
Yeah the hexplates were the only component thin enough to mount the top burst of the 4 bar that didn't have atrocious APs. Would have used a less ugly component if I could.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #791 on: July 08, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Knockout stands out as the coolest to me, I like how you didn't use a mecha or typhoon teeth, extra bonus points for that

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #792 on: July 08, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »
Knockout stands out as the coolest to me, I like how you didn't use a mecha or typhoon teeth, extra bonus points for that
The 259 flywheel just happened to fit pretty much perfectly in the gap that there was for the disc. It's an underrated component I'd say. One of the cooler looking rep discs and surprisingly effective too.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #793 on: July 08, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
The 259 flywheel just happened to fit pretty much perfectly in the gap that there was for the disc. It's an underrated component I'd say. One of the cooler looking rep discs and surprisingly effective too.

Yeah I agree, I stopped using it in 2.1 as it seemed to break ridiculously easily but hopefully that's changed now

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #794 on: July 10, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »
Tonight on extenderspam nightmares: A bot that was intended as an HW but ended up becoming an SHW...

Had this design in mind for a flipper and managed to execute it pretty much exactly how I envisioned it, however it's ended up being A: Absolutely ridiculous in terms of number of extenders used and B: 50% heavier than I wanted it to be.

Other than those two factors I'm really happy with how it came out. Weapon is powered by 2 medium VDMAs which is almost certainly not enough for an SHW, and the armour is almost all Alu other than a little pit of steel on the front. Drive is 2 NPC fasts along with 2 TWMR drives so it's not fast but not slow either.

Offline Olister92

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #795 on: July 11, 2018, 06:25:16 AM »
Looks pretty good to me, I love the front wedglets. The wheels poking out looks a bit odd to me though, any way you could tuck them in?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #796 on: July 11, 2018, 07:49:25 AM »
Looks pretty good to me, I love the front wedglets. The wheels poking out looks a bit odd to me though, any way you could tuck them in?
I'd originally planned to have doubled up wheels so they were fully exposed, but weight rapidly became an issue with this bot so they had to go unfortunately, leaving the wheels in the state they are now

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #797 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Here's a thing. HW flipper boik. TWMR2s for drive, 2 Med VDMAs for the flipper and a mix of Alu and Steel for armour.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Trying my best
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #798 on: July 14, 2018, 11:19:30 PM »
I also did a spinner killer version

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Mini golf champion, I got no drive
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Looks like it won't be able to get under anything (except spinners of course).
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**