Author Topic: TheRoboteer's Hit or Miss DSL Showcase  (Read 135051 times)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
Re: TheRoboteer Tries and Fails at DSL
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »
Made some attempts to make Supervolcano look less generic. Shrunk the chassis slightly so there's a lot less empty space. Gave it some wheelguards and smaller wheels to fit in them, and added some spikes because why not. Came out looking a bit like some weird mutated Toon Raider / TR2. Pics below.

External:

Internal:
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
ants wheels kinda look funny on it tbh. maybe you should go for treads since i think that would be a pretty unique look. you should also add some extenders to make it look like the flippers are connected somehow and so they don't look as fragile.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
ants wheels kinda look funny on it tbh. maybe you should go for treads since i think that would be a pretty unique look. you should also add some extenders to make it look like the flippers are connected somehow and so they don't look as fragile.

yeah with the seperate panels being held on by extenders 10cm wide it looks flimsy.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
Funnily enough the very first version of this bot did actually use treads. The problem I was facing was that when a bot drove up on top of the chassis it would jam up the tracks and stop the bot from moving. I've switched the Ant wheels to Rubber wheels (Largest that will fit in those wheelguards) since. I will definitely add some extenders to the flipper though (To be clear, do you mean those fake pistons that people do, or something else?)

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
Funnily enough the very first version of this bot did actually use treads. The problem I was facing was that when a bot drove up on top of the chassis it would jam up the tracks and stop the bot from moving. I've switched the Ant wheels to Rubber wheels (Largest that will fit in those wheelguards) since. I will definitely add some extenders to the flipper though (To be clear, do you mean those fake pistons that people do, or something else?)

I'd say fake pistons but also thicker extenders holding the panels. Maybe add panels to the front, too.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »

I'd say fake pistons but also thicker extenders holding the panels. Maybe add panels to the front, too.
Problem is there isn't really much room for all of that stuff. If I add extenders to the sides of the panels then it'll cause there to be a lip preventing bots from going onto the flipper. Same case with putting panels on the front. I'm trying to find a solution for this, but it looks like it will probably need a complete redesign.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
Not talking about fake pistons, I'm talking extenders to make the flippers look connected/less flimsy

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »
This is likely going to be my entry to Annihilation Nation.It's called Doctor Feelgood (Mega cool points if you can guess what that's a reference to BTW) MW flipper bot designed on the same principles (Speed, Strong Frontal armour) as Caldera was. the weird triangle pieces on the sides are there purely because I think they look cool. Same generic ass colour scheme as all of my other bots, but the internals are absolutely packed. 2X TWM3R2 Drives for Drive and 1X VDMA R/P Wide Medium for the flipper.

External:

Internal:

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
Decided it was high time to give Bocuma a rebuild since it's one of my older bots and probably my favourite one. Here's Bocuma II

Changes from the original include:
  • Increased Chassis Armour
  • Smaller, more reasonably sized chassis
  • Small wedges have been shifted to a more visually appealing, IRL looking spot
  • Spike strips are now rigidly mounted rather than being mounted on skirt hinges. Hopefully more IRL
  • Top armour is now one contiguous piece rather than a mishmash of different panels

Looks a lot more visually appealing to me and performs just as well if not better than the original version of Bocuma. Self righting in particular is way more reliable now. Pics below:

External:

Internal:

Feedback more than welcome.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
The small wedges look kinda meh, and they're on metal hinges too I bet. Try and find a wedge that fits the shape of the bot better.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »
The small wedges look kinda meh, and they're on metal hinges too I bet. Try and find a wedge that fits the shape of the bot better.
The wedges are on metal hinges but I don't really see how that automatically makes it non-IRL since they're in a position which they could easily be mounted in in real life.

In terms of the apperance, I'm not really a fan either, but I was going for something that was actually an effective wedge, and all my attempts to make a wedge using Steel wedges and the like have been useless, so this is a compromise between appearance and effectiveness.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
Been on an MW building kick lately because of Annihilation Nation. Below is a bot that I am considering choosing as my second entry for Annihilation Nation, but might not because it's a bit boring. It's called Korona and it's a pure rammer. Only armament is 2x 30cm pole spikes, which are mainly there just to stop opposing bots riding up and over the top of the bot. Tornado wedge on the front and 4X NPC Normals for drive (I tried fasts but it was completely uncontrollable. Even with regulars it's difficult to control). Pics below:

External:

Internal:

Feedback welcome!

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
Decided that Korona was too boring for Annihilation Nation, so I made this as my second entry. It's a MW angled spinner called Jericho. It's heavily heavily based off of Finity, but with a few tweaks. Spinner is a tri-pronged affair with beater bars powered by a TWM3R2. Drive is 2X TWM3R Drives with medium Colson wheels. The armour panels are all titanium, and the chassis armour is Ti 5. Pics below:

Exterior:

Interior:

I may knock up a skin for it before I submit it to Annihilation Nation. Any feedback is more than welcome.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
Is Korona invertible?  I like the overall look good of it and thank a flashier skin would help it out. Jericho just seems to be lacking something...dunno what exactly though

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Is Korona invertible?  I like the overall look good of it and thank a flashier skin would help it out. Jericho just seems to be lacking something...dunno what exactly though
Korona is invertible...just. Both of them need skins, which I will try to remember to do. I kind of felt like Jericho was lacking something when I built it too, which is why I switched to the 3 pronged blade from the original bar in an attempt to fix it. Obviously it hasn't worked since you think it's lacking something too. I certainly agree with you that it's missing something (Other than a skin) but I can't really put my finger on what.

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
Part of it may be the weird way everything looks connected to hex plates. Maybe a small dsl cover cap? Or mini saw blade, etc.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »
Korona looks like it might have trouble with power, how much battery power you got in it?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
Korona looks like it might have trouble with power, how much battery power you got in it?
A Battlepack and 2 ants. It just barely gets through a fight.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Part of it may be the weird way everything looks connected to hex plates. Maybe a small dsl cover cap? Or mini saw blade, etc.
I agree with you, but unfortunately rule of 7 wouldn't let me put anything on the hex plate.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
Use RA2CF to get past it. :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15