Author Topic: Noob bots (Asking for advise)  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Lizzy[RTY]

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Noob bots (Asking for advise)
« on: March 10, 2019, 06:21:21 AM »
Hello
I am Lizzy and have recently installed the game, which a friend of mine recommended to me. He helped me getting to know the game, too.
Until now I have created a few bots, but they are all kind of useless. The same friend that showed me the game also suggested I go and look into this forum, so that I can pick up some criticism.
(I used the normal RAW2 for my first bots, but later changed to the Component Freedomversion version)

So I hope you enjoy this "Showcase" of my very nooby bots and I hope you can help me improve them or give general advise as to how to create a good bot :D

Steve Enter Bot Name
So starting of with my very first bot: Steve Enter Bot Name
This one is not to be taken to serious. I tried out a bit and threw in random motors and hoped that things fit.

sebn1.jpeg

sebn2.jpg

Lavafish
The second one is Lavafish, since like the first one it is quite useless and the best it can do is wobble around like a fish on land (could have called it Magikarp XD)
I still didn't read on how strong each motor is, so the motors I used are not to good.

lf1.jpg

lf2.jpg

Shark
A spinner gone wrong basically. I tried to make one and by now I see that is not how they are supposed to work, but I am still not entirely sure how to make one.

shark1.jpg

shark2.jpg

Useless
Just as the name implies it is completely useless. I just tried out new motors and how to make better wheels (at least better ones than shark has) XD
I wouldn't even call it a spinner despite how it looks on the outside, since it cant really spin.

u1.jpg

u2.jpg

Flippaaa
This one is the best one I created so far: It does what it is supposed to do and is quite fast.

flippa1.jpg

flippa2.jpg

What do you think?
Any tips on how to create better/good bots?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:19:03 AM by Lizzy[RTY] »

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
I shouldn't have come here

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Noob bots (Asking for advise)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »
Hello, and welcome to Gametechmods!

This is going to take awhile, but I'll break this down into some key tips; The first tip is that you shouldn't use Piglets as drive motors. These motors are meant for powering weapons and not power drive, you can instead use astroflights, TWM3Rs, NPCs since they'll give more power to the drive system than piglets. Remember, use the right drive motors for the right weight class for example: astroflight motors are good drive motors for lighter bots such as Antweights, Beetleweights and Lightweights while NPCs are good for Middleweights and Heavyweights.

Second tip: Be careful will intersection. I noticed that a few of your bots have parts intersecting, for example: Flippa have its VDMA intersecting the battery, Useless has batteries intersecting with its drive motors and Shark having its teeth intersecting its drive when the weapon spins. Most tournaments that runs an IRL rule set, when your bot must be roughly possible to replica in real life. Intersecting parts such like batteries intersecting motor are impossible to do in real life. Do you ever see Tombstone having it weapon intersect its wheel without damaging them? This isn't to say that you should never have interesting parts, but try not to have parts interesting in illogical places like a spinning bar going through wheel. However, a spinning bar going through an armour plate or plow is allowed, as long as said weapon doesn't illegally intersect with anything else. 

Third tip: Build to the weight limit. Alot your bots have some weight left over. With this left over weight, you could put it towards better chassis armour, better motors for drive and weapons. Useless could benefit from having a larger chassis not only to space out some of the parts, preventing intersection, but also better drive motors such as NPCs, allowing it to spin on the spot fast. Needless to mention, IRL tournaments do have a weapon cap to prevent users from spamming weapons like Typhoon teeth etc. With the amount of teeth on Useless and Shark, most hosts will tell you to remove some of the teeth to prevent it from being overpowered. However, with the excessive amount of teeth remove, you could put the weight into other areas such as armour, batteries etc.

Some other little pointers as well is that, Steve Enter bot name should not have all the drive motors on one side. Though you did quickly learn from that, remember when designing the bot, is best to stick to simple shapes rather than have over complicated chassis, otherwise, you'll have little space for key components, other than that remember to build the chassis around the parts, not the parts for the chassis. Likewise, this will prevent incidents when you can't a part that you needed into the chassis.

Other than that despite how long this post is and I haven't covered everything, if you are interested in building realistic bots, you should check out this guide here: https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide/
This should you some basic hints and tips for IRL builders on what to do for IRL designs, to make them tournament legal. I hope that the advice works.

Offline Lizzy[RTY]

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »
Thank you very much! I really admire the time and effort you put into outlining my main mistakes.
I am looking forward to implementing the advise in my next bot and will probably visit the guide, you have linked at the end, before that, too.
I haven't realized this game would be so complicated, but I am definitely up to the challenge to learn more about it and improve my skills.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
Thank you very much! I really admire the time and effort you put into outlining my main mistakes.
I am looking forward to implementing the advise in my next bot and will probably visit the guide, you have linked at the end, before that, too.
I haven't realized this game would be so complicated, but I am definitely up to the challenge to learn more about it and improve my skills.
No problem. Before being overwhelmed by the about of information, playing this game is like learning any another game. It's easy to pick up, but it takes time to master. Before you know it, you'll know most of the key concepts important to bot building.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
glad to have you here. looking forward to seeing more :)
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
Welcome to GTM. Knew you as Bildschirm's RL friend from the OW Discord

Anyway, for your bots, since people already gave most of the criticism, just want to add to the intersection part. For ring spinners, the disc is allowed to intersect with other components like motors or batteries due to game limitation. However, batteries and motors must not intersect with each other. Also, for weapon spam part, three bursts are usually not allowed since they cause bots to have unrealistic flipping power, and in real life, unsafe too as they throw bots well into the roof, and even break the roof, potentially throwing the bot to the audience in real life

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
People habe said pretty much everything. Im going to say hi!
Ofc because of my phone i in hi was actually an o so...

Another good thing is to check other peoples showcases so you can see what people build and some of the criticisms

Offline Lizzy[RTY]

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »
Hi to you, too XD
Thank you for the advise, i will certainly do that.