Author Topic: That Time FaceBagman Tried DSL  (Read 4307 times)

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: That Time FaceBagman Tried DSL
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Just toying around in the Bot Lab from the hospital bed because what else is there to do here?  :ermm:

First flipper attempt that I'm actually somewhat satisfied with so far. Shot for a middleweight and will be doing extensive wheelguard work, modifications to the flipper arm itself, and skinning, methinks. Maybe throw another battery in there too just to be safe. But it works!

Abeyance:

LIFELONG B R O N C O B O Y

Offline doot

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
Just toying around in the Bot Lab from the hospital bed because what else is there to do here?  :ermm:

First flipper attempt that I'm actually somewhat satisfied with so far. Shot for a middleweight and will be doing extensive wheelguard work, modifications to the flipper arm itself, and skinning, methinks. Maybe throw another battery in there too just to be safe. But it works!

Abeyance:

*snip*
I'm sorry that you are in the hospital and I really hope you get better soon. The 'bot you've made is rather simple, but neatly made. I like it. ;)

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
I'm sorry that you are in the hospital and I really hope you get better soon. The 'bot you've made is rather simple, but neatly made. I like it. ;)

Thank you! I'm going to try to cobble together/refine some things I've had lying around for Sword of Glory throughout this week because it looks like a really fun tournament. But after that, I'll likely be off the grid for a month or 2, at minimum.

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »
It's been a hot minute or two since I've had the chance to delve into my weird & impractical 'bot building mind. I'll post a couple of works-in-progress.

On the left: I had a strange impulse to create an axe-build with a 2-wheeled chassis, I guess akin to Toe Crusher, in a way?

Got it all built and realized I set the axe up backwards. :facepalm: Off to a great start. Gonna have to either rebuild the weapon or change the armor around. Not sure if either approach will work, but we'll see.

Also, on the right: A MW angled spinner that I'm currently tweaking. Have to stop it from tilting forward and clipping the ground when turning. The beater wedges helped a little, but there has to be more I can do. Bar isn't necessarily the final product either, just what I'm working with for now.

Any tips or recommendations would be most welcome :)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »
I like the angled spinner, can you shave off some weight somewhere to get large typhoon teeth? And does the bar intersect the wheels?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
I like the angled spinner, can you shave off some weight somewhere to get large typhoon teeth? And does the bar intersect the wheels?

Thank you! Fortunately, the bar just clears the wheels, added the small DSL disc not only for aesthetics but also to give it that space.

There's definitely weight left to use. May have to extend the weapon height a little more to keep Large Typhoons from clipping the ground, but it's possible. :)

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 04:56:40 AM »
It's been a hot minute or two since I've had the chance to delve into my weird & impractical 'bot building mind. I'll post a couple of works-in-progress.

On the left: I had a strange impulse to create an axe-build with a 2-wheeled chassis, I guess akin to Toe Crusher, in a way?

Got it all built and realized I set the axe up backwards. :facepalm: Off to a great start. Gonna have to either rebuild the weapon or change the armor around. Not sure if either approach will work, but we'll see.

Also, on the right: A MW angled spinner that I'm currently tweaking. Have to stop it from tilting forward and clipping the ground when turning. The beater wedges helped a little, but there has to be more I can do. Bar isn't necessarily the final product either, just what I'm working with for now.

Any tips or recommendations would be most welcome :)

yo these are sweet lookin bots

can you snap the insides of the spinner so i can see what kind of camber set up/motors you got?
beep beep

Offline FaceBagman

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »
*snipped*

yo these are sweet lookin bots

can you snap the insides of the spinner so i can see what kind of camber set up/motors you got?

Oh dang, I wish I'd seen this sooner! I scrapped Exodus (working name) for the time being and started a rebuild of it, mainly because I couldn't get the weapon setup to work well enough and still have enough weight leftover to build support around the armor and balance it. Iirc, it only had Astroflights for drive at I wanna say the wonky 22.5 degree angle because they're the only ones that would fit properly, and the weapon had a Mer-Motor.

My pet project right now is playing around with CF Extender-botting for the first time and refining my first draft of this ridiculously garish hammer design:

(A little bit of inspiration from poor ol' Mega Melvin on that weapon design, though I've had the image in my head of a hammer structure like that for a little while leading up to this)

1. Major problem is that the wedge corners have that gap between them and the rest of the extenders. Also, the support for the weapon could be fleshed out a little more. I have to look for some places to shave off weight to make it up in those areas.

2. The weapon itself is pretty modular. I played around with a version made entirely of Beaters and a version that had Spikes instead of the Frenzy Hammer (which I think I personally prefer). Only showing the FH in the picture because it's the last version I tested before I snapped the shot.

3. All in all, I'm pretty excited that I'm actually building something with CF that I don't want to scrap in the first 5 minutes for a change. My armor work is super sloppy so far, but hopefully I'll get the hang of that eventually.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 02:20:28 AM »
I like the side panels. The way the bulky hammer attaches to the burst motor looks really off though, can you try to do something with that?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots