Author Topic: SteveM4's stuff  (Read 5375 times)

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
SteveM4's stuff
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »
Hey all. First things first.

I am an old member of GTM, and with many thanks to Hoppin, have managed to get my old account back, albeit with a new name and everything in an attempt to distance myself. With their permission, I have set up a new showcase as the old showcase has not been updated in over 3 years, and was also full of really awful things (not only robots), so I am trying not to bring that up again. You can find the old showcase here, if you really want to, but I advise against it.

Now that's out the way, here's a robot.

chaos2_2.png

chaos2_1.png

chaos2_4.png

chaos2_3.png

Details you are hungry for:
Armour: Alu 3
Weight: 396.5
Made using component freedom and the IRL packs.

It functions similar to the original, however it's wedge is dire against RedAce's AI pack.
I do those awful YouTube videos.

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
Re: SteveM4's stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:03:12 PM »
Oh you're that guy from youtube
I shouldn't have come here

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:05:13 PM »
Damn dude. It's not often an old member comes back and is right on the ball in terms of build quality, but this falls into that camp. Really fantastic Chaos 2 rep with some really nice extenderwork. Look forward to seeing more from you  :smile:
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
Much love for this dude!
Things I did & done

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:34:54 PM »
Doesn't look like a rep TR. Anyway, that's pretty great. Interested to see more from you

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »
welcome back dude! i never thought your old robots were all that bad tbh but that's ok because this chaos 2 is really good

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 05:56:53 AM »
I am glad you like the bot. I'll see what I can do about making a video for it at some point.

Doesn't look like a rep TR.<snip>

Screenshot_17.png

chaos2_5.png

Here's the original next to the replica. All I am missing is the polycab back and the text on the flipper.

Also, here are some mid build screenshots of a MW spinner, because the F11 key is just that inviting.

Screenshot_15.png

Screenshot_16.png

Final armour was Steel 3, and it sits right on the edge of the MW class at 391.5. Wedge is... not needed to be honest.

Are we allowed to post videos here? Just threw one up on my channel of this guy fighting RedAce's AI pack and then the game went all floaty.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:03:43 AM »
I am glad you like the bot. I'll see what I can do about making a video for it at some point.

Doesn't look like a rep TR.<snip>

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]    [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Here's the original next to the replica. All I am missing is the polycab back and the text on the flipper.

Also, here are some mid build screenshots of a MW spinner, because the F11 key is just that inviting.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Final armour was Steel 3, and it sits right on the edge of the MW class at 391.5. Wedge is... not needed to be honest.

Are we allowed to post videos here? Just threw one up on my channel of this guy fighting RedAce's AI pack and then the game went all floaty.
I don't know if you're familiar with the metas in RA2 due to your absence, but that spinner doesn't look to be legal in either of the main DSL build styles (IRL and DSL-S). DSL-S wise, you'll need to make sure your weapon doesn't clip through your wheels, as it looks like it will as-is. In terms of IRL, there's a whole bunch of rules: too many to really explain in a comment. I've written a guide on the meta though which you can find in my sig.

That said you may no have been going for either of those build styles, in which case everything I've just said is irrelevant  :bigsmile:

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:12:06 AM »
Have you tried Robot Rumble yet? It's fun. As for the bot, nice job!
Accomplishments:

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »
I have noticed the general trend is towards ultra IRL builds, and I really dig that because they look so cool. I'll have a cheeky look at what you got there to see what styles of the meta I can apply to future builds.

With this one though to be honest, the aim was to build a bot to destroy stuff, and to do a full build in 20 minutes for a YT video. While I like the concept of the spinning axes and outside Perm, the execution shows that it was rushed.

Cheers for heads up about the style changes.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
I have noticed the general trend is towards ultra IRL builds, and I really dig that because they look so cool. I'll have a cheeky look at what you got there to see what styles of the meta I can apply to future builds.

With this one though to be honest, the aim was to build a bot to destroy stuff, and to do a full build in 20 minutes for a YT video. While I like the concept of the spinning axes and outside Perm, the execution shows that it was rushed.

Cheers for heads up about the style changes.

I actually watched your video building this. You appear to not have things like component freedom, etc. I'd recommend you pick up DSL2.2CE (Complete Edition). It contains, not only component freedom, but DSC's packs, among some other small tweaks.

As for the robot itself, it lacks a lot of what the current scene's standards are (motor protection/support, proper supports, etc. But I'm sure you're aware of this). Any further and I'm just re-iterating what Robo said lmao.

You can look at other people's showcases for an idea of what the current stuff is going on right now, along with the tournament section. There's some rad stuff out there!
Things I did & done

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
I've been a browsing and I'm getting dangerous amounts of ideas. I believe I can make this design concept work but it will take an entirely different approach to see it happen.

Offline ty4er

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
welcome back my dude

aside from everything everyone else has said, copals are hella shoddy for a mw
chaos2 looks neato tho
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 07:17:27 AM »
What is the ballpark for a MW motor these days... A TWM seems the logical choice, though NPC motors used to be my go-to motor for moving stuff.

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
Be a man and use 2 E-Tek drive's
I shouldn't have come here

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 10:51:20 AM »
Welcome back! I'm basically gonna repeat what's already been said - that Chaos 2 rep looks awesome, the HS not so much - but I'll also add that I took a sneaky peek in your old showcase and Gladiator 2 actually looks really cool. I think it could actually slot right into the current IRL meta, with just a few touch-ups.

What is the ballpark for a MW motor these days... A TWM seems the logical choice, though NPC motors used to be my go-to motor for moving stuff.
I think Slimbody motors will do in a pinch, but ideally, you'll want either TWMs or NPCs. Depends how much weight you have to spare, and also on the kind of robot you're building. Drive's not as important in a HS as it is in a flipper or rammer.
My DSL Showcase

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 04:41:22 AM »
I have found while working on a few builds that I absolutely cannot make an effective (IRL) wedge. Anything I attempt seems just to bonk against the AI (RedAce's Pack) and not get under. The two bots just sort of sit there, bonking.

So, basically, how do I make effective wedges that lie within the IRL ruleset, as I gather components and balancing of wedginess has been improved. I have even been outdone by chassis wedges, so I am dumbfounded.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 04:52:28 AM »
I have found while working on a few builds that I absolutely cannot make an effective (IRL) wedge. Anything I attempt seems just to bonk against the AI (RedAce's Pack) and not get under. The two bots just sort of sit there, bonking.

So, basically, how do I make effective wedges that lie within the IRL ruleset, as I gather components and balancing of wedginess has been improved. I have even been outdone by chassis wedges, so I am dumbfounded.
Basically in RA2, static wedges are not effective for wedging. You should put your wedge on burst life with flippers, or use hinge for your wedges. Also, wedge mechanic is 70% luck and 30% mechanics, and pretty variable, as well as not pretty predictable. You just have to find a wedgy setup, thiugh balanced drive is also needed so you will be able to force your wedge up to opponent bot while not frontflipping

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:25 AM »

Wedgelets using the 'chisel' components in the weapons tab mounted on either skirt hinges, or the spring loaded metal hinges are the go-to for most people. You want the wedgelet to extend a decent amount in front of your main wedge, as they can get pushed inside your bot and become useless if they only barely protrude. Don't extend them too far out though otherwise they'll look terrible.

I've also had some success with wedges consisting of a wedge edge component, mounted on an armour panel, which is in turn mounted on a skirt hinge. They require some fine tuning, and don't have the durability of wedgelet-based wedges, but they seem to be really effective at getting under stuff when done right.

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
Behold, a build I actually put effort in.

Armour: Alu 3
Weight: 398.7

Rejector
screenshot_34.png

screenshot_31.png

screenshot_32.png

screenshot_30.png

screenshot_19.png

Things about it:
It wedges rather well, it uses a 40cm wedge on the end of a hinge mounted 40x40 steel armour thing.
Its FAST and kinda out of control.
The armour is poor and that's sort of a major weakness.
It throws things very far.

As for IRL... it can swing both ways. The motors' placement is questionable, but I think that the armour plates could be slotted out to accommodate for the NPCs.