Author Topic: SagarisRA2 DSL/IRL Showcase  (Read 14330 times)

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 4
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
SagarisRA2 DSL/IRL Showcase
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
Ok so I am very new to this and have only just downloaded DSL 2.2 (IRL standard) today. I would love to know how to build brilliant IRL robots, including what pistons/motors work best as well as other tips. I have made my first bot, (and it isn't wooden with a spring loaded axe), and it's very meh.

Name: Green Machine
Drive : 4xNPC-T64 with Whirl Wheels
Weapons: Front Scoop/Flipper with a VDMA R/P Piston and a rear Canine VI Chewblade powered by a Magmotor

It is decently quick and has good pushing power coupled with the flipping scoop, but the scoop itself is underwhelming to say the least. Feedback appreciated! (Also, what would be the best way to make a compact flipper bot)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:25:44 PM by SagarisRA2 »

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: SagarisRA2 DSL/IRL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
Yeah, that this is not invertible, so its gonna get rekt by flippers,  if you have weight add srimech...
Look at other dsl showcases to see how to improve.

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »
Yeah, that this is not invertible, so its gonna get rekt by flippers,  if you have weight add srimech...
Look at other dsl showcases to see how to improve.

Yeah this robot isn't really going to be one I use much, just one to get to grips with this version of the game, (ie, trying the different motors/pistons, weapons, etc.). Nevertheless I have added the srimech using the same piston as the flipper to bring the robot to 795kg. Will work on a much better one over the next few days, just need some ideas on what kind of robot is good for newbies to DSL.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
It's a decent start. The motor you're using for the chewblade at the back is more of a drive motor than a weapon motor, though TBH I'd probably just ditch the chewblade all together as they're not very effective anyway and the weight could be better used elsewhere. Good choice with the drive motors. NPCs are probably the best drive motor in the game, and with some grippier tyres than the whirl weps you should get plenty of speed.

As for the flipper, I'd recommend trying to make the wedge less steep, which will help it get under stuff better, and also using a stronger burst motor or at the very least using 2 of the ones you have currently, as on a heavyweight a very small or small VDMA R/P piston isn't really enough.

I'd personally try to shrink the size of the bot down a fair bit too so you can use a smaller chassis and save some weight there. Goign to 2 wheel drive NPC Fasts but with grippier wheels should provide comparable speed to what you're getting now but weigh a lot less and take up less space.

Nice start though and welcome to the forums! Good to see new members still cropping up  :smile:
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
For starters you can most certainly shrink that chassis, make it much flatter and ditch the saw. This can give you more weight to add possibly a bigger ram and more drive. Also dsl has wedge edges, located with the angled panels attach them to the panel, it'll be more effective. For the motors currently you'll only need 4 red batteries
Things I did & done

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
The new Green Machine v2. Completely rebuilt and with double the amount of flippers. It uses the same drive motors but with buster wheels rather than whirl wheels. Even though twice the amount of motors are being used, not sure if they are the best choice, but the flips are still more powerful and the robot still has better grip. The small chassis also allowed me to make the armour a lot better. Tornado spikes are just for show more than anything. Tried to add a separate srimech but there was no room left in the bot. Would we say this is an improvement?

Name: Green Machine v2
Drive: 4xNPC-T64's with Buster Wheels
Weapons: Two flippers powered by Magmotors (fast)

I think I should just make a rambot on my next attempt.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
Theres a lot of space at the back. I would just recommend usig extenders to make wheelguards and just plate the back instead of just building this box around it. This will give you wight to increase the width of the flipper and an some angle panels on the side of the flipper. Non the less its a great improvement
Things I did & done

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
Theres a lot of space at the back. I would just recommend usig extenders to make wheelguards and just plate the back instead of just building this box around it. This will give you wight to increase the width of the flipper and an some angle panels on the side of the flipper. Non the less its a great improvement

For the next rear hinged flipper I do, what pistons/burst motors would you recommend? Want to make a flipper that gets some serious launch agaisnt the opponent.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »

For the next rear hinged flipper I do, what pistons/burst motors would you recommend? Want to make a flipper that gets some serious launch agaisnt the opponent.
A pair of Wide Medium or Large VDMA R/P pistons should give you some power. Either that or a beta burst motor

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »
The armor plate work looks a little messy. Especially with the amount of gaps between armor plates that could filled in with longer or multiple plates. If have problem fitting the plates due to the game detecting part intersection, you should download the Serge Patcher if you haven't done so already. The Patcher comes with may tool that you may use for building including component intersection, that allows for parts like armor plates to intersect through other parts, without have the red "cannot place" outline over the part you're about to place. Just make sure that the part doesn't end up intersecting through any important parts like batteries or motors since doing so will be breaking IRL building rules.

Apart from that, you should listen to the TheRoboteer's advice to remove the snappers. Snappers may be handy on much lighter bots but for a Heavyweight, snappers/magmotors are not worth putting on. With 18kg left in your bot, you can add some more power into the bot by using VDMAs or burst pistons just the in the previous version of your bot. But it's a good starting point from your other bot, but it still needs a little more work on it. Also as one last question: what armor are you using on your bot by any chance?

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 08:15:49 AM »
I believe I use the heaviest version of Steel, I normally just built the robot, put all the essentials in and then make the armour as heavy as it can go before it hits 800kg. I will download the Serge Patcher now as with the new robot I just built the interceptions really did change the way I built it.

This new I just built still lacks that quality armour placement, (something I will work on after I download Serge Patcher), but finally has that powerful flip.

Name: Launch
Drive: 4xNPC-T64's
Weapon: Flipper powered by a Beta Burst Motor

Edit: Turns out I have Serge Patcher, but in the document it says "disabled by default", just need to know how to enable it.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
I believe I use the heaviest version of Steel, I normally just built the robot, put all the essentials in and then make the armour as heavy as it can go before it hits 800kg. I will download the Serge Patcher now as with the new robot I just built the interceptions really did change the way I built it.

This new I just built still lacks that quality armour placement, (something I will work on after I download Serge Patcher), but finally has that powerful flip.

Name: Launch
Drive: 4xNPC-T64's
Weapon: Flipper powered by a Beta Burst Motor

(Image removed from quote.)

Edit: Turns out I have Serge Patcher, but in the document it says "disabled by default", just need to know how to enable it.
Remove the # symbols on the lines of the features you want to enable

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Thanks, interceptions will now no longer be an issue. Just got to decide what kind of robot would be good for me to build IRL, as I think I will definitely have to work towards make a decent flipper.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
I've forgot to say that sometimes, Steel armor isn't really worth it for a bot. Sure Steel armor especially Steel 10 provides plenty of protection, but steel armor uses up a lot of weight that could of gone towards better weaponry, more batteries or using more armor plates for outer protection. Some users often use stuff like Titanium 1, 5 or 10 or plastic 5 or 10. Not only those armors provide good protection, but you also have some spare weight to use up on what the weight could of gone to.   

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
Using this advice has helped me make my favourite robot yet by a mile. I ditched the flipper bot for this one and focused on a rammer, adding a spinning bar with cutting teeth on top for a little added damaging power. I read through pretty much every tutorial, tip and trick on this website, coupled with the Serge Patcher mod to make this machine. The wheels touch the ground perfectly, leaving no ground clearance around the wheel area. It drives amazingly and is finally invertible. I made the chassis as small as needed, but changed it from 4WD to 2WD to make room for the spinning bar. This finally means minimal wasted space and room for better armour/components, (the armour being Titanium 10 as the last person pointed out Steel isn't the best for the weight it provides). It has three small battery's which seems to be enough power, and it weighs 589kg so is my first CW.

Name: LZ2
Drive: 4xNPC-T64's with Slap Happy Wheels
Weapons: Front ram and Horizontal Bar with Cutting Teeth

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »
Getting better. A few things though. The motor you're using for the spinner there is really not enough for a CW. Many lightweights would have more power behind their spinners than that. Try to upgrade to at least a TWMR2, if not a 4 mag gearbox. Also, the wedge looks completely disconnected from the bot since it's only held on by 1 solitary extender as far as I can tell. That would snap instantly IRL, so you should try to add some panels to make the wedge look more connected with the rest of the bot.

Nonetheless, good to see you taking feedback on board.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
Anoher thing is that you dont use extenders for spinning bars... They are too fragile.

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
I have come across a lot of tournament recently which require middleweight robots, so spent a while making one that can actually win a battle. I turned off CF as the tournament I'm looking at doesn't allow it. It's got a 100% win streak against the AI robots, so is easily my most successful robot thus far. The armour is Titanium 5, so a previous post suggested Titanium>Steel. It's pretty rapid and the axe comes down with good speed. I did all I could within the weight limit. Would this robot by a good entry to my first tournament? Bearing in mind this is my first ever middleweight.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
I have come across a lot of tournament recently which require middleweight robots, so spent a while making one that can actually win a battle. I turned off CF as the tournament I'm looking at doesn't allow it. It's got a 100% win streak against the AI robots, so is easily my most successful robot thus far. The armour is Titanium 5, so a previous post suggested Titanium>Steel. It's pretty rapid and the axe comes down with good speed. I did all I could within the weight limit. Would this robot by a good entry to my first tournament? Bearing in mind this is my first ever middleweight.

Im guessing this is for Silverfishes tourney. If it is iirc he recently allowed RA2CF. I think you should ditch the ant bats for 3/4 red bats. not only this, but the axe head seems far too weak, try I have spike it's more weight but definitely worth the switch. And if you can the wedges would be best mounted on a metal hinge, should make the wedge itself much more effective. Not a bad start it most certainly looks the part
Things I did & done

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
I had the Typhoon spike originally to go with the orange theme, but it just put it over the weight limit. I will go back into the lab and make it up to scratch. And yeah, I did see Silverfishes tournament.

Edit: Domination has had the upgrades to become Domination 1.1. The armour was tuned down from Titanium to Aluminium, but was necessary to make the improvements. The wheel panels downgraded from Steel to Titanium, which made it fit very nicely within the weight limit. The wedges were upgraded from Aluminium to Steel as they are important protection to the chassis as well as getting underneath the opponent. The wedges are now also on metal hinges. 4 red batteries replace the 6 ant batteries, and the CF allowed me to put the batteries on external extenders and use panels to protect them which look pretty tidy. Finally, the beater bar was replaced with a Typhoon tooth and the arm was extended from 100cm to 120cm for better range. Any stand out improvements that need to be made?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:39:59 AM by SagarisRA2 »