Author Topic: Redalert's rare DSL builds and WS  (Read 32026 times)

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Redalert's rare DSL builds and WS
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
you don't need to post 4 images per bot. it's not giving us more information or insight

it's just more images that everyone's connection has to load

Okay, what about all the people that are new to DSL?

New WS pack out!
Responding with 'what about the people who are new to DSL' for every bit of feedback you get isnt a valid point

Achievements and tournament placings

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
you don't need to post 4 images per bot. it's not giving us more information or insight

it's just more images that everyone's connection has to load

Okay, what about all the people that are new to DSL?

New WS pack out!
Responding with 'what about the people who are new to DSL' for every bit of feedback you get isnt a valid point
This is assuming that anyone cares about Wandering Spinners.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »
Wandering Spinners are unique, and many bot builders have a taste for bots other than WS.

Again, many people come to GTM for ideas and downloads, especially people new to RA2, so I don't think it's a bad idea...

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
Wandering Spinners are unique, and many bot builders have a taste for bots other than WS.

Again, many people come to GTM for ideas and downloads, especially people new to RA2, so I don't think it's a bad idea...
Ok dude, I don't mean to make you feel bad but.
No one is interested in WS.
All the people who are making them are doing it to take the piss. I know you have good intentions and I'm sure you have skill in bot building-he'll that weird bug thing you made was awesome- but your pushing WS too much dude. People don't care as much about them as you think. If you really want push the idea of unique designs don't make a load of WS because then your defeating your own beliefs.
I'm sorry dude but you just gotta know.

I'm Badnick 2.0 guys. Fear me.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:40 AM »

Ok dude, I don't mean to make you feel bad but.
No one is interested in WS.
All the people who are making them are doing it to take the piss. I know you have good intentions and I'm sure you have skill in bot building-he'll that weird bug thing you made was awesome- but your pushing WS too much dude. People don't care as much about them as you think.
And yet everytime he posts a wandering spinner he gets a guaranteed ten replies that all keep saying the same thing. I sure wish I got that many replies on my bots.

If we don't care about his WS builds, maybe we should just... ignore them?
My DSL Showcase

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2019, 08:06:55 AM »
And yet everytime he posts a wandering spinner he gets a guaranteed ten replies that all keep saying the same thing. I sure wish I got that many replies on my bots.

If we don't care about his WS builds, maybe we should just... ignore them?
Good advice, think everyone should pay heed to this man!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
Building a MW IRL WS

I. Chassis designed as shown. Armor is 1 mm. Steel.

screenshot.bmp

II. NOTE- the disks are there to just keep track of weight. They will be replaced later.
     This design uses 2 long batteries and an antweight battery.

screenshot_1.bmp

III. Now, to make the bot IRL. Add aluminum square extenders however you like. I made a triangular frame out of them. The disk has small typhoon teeth on it.

screenshot_2.bmp

IV. Add a small panel to the underside of the bot to keep it from being annihilated by popups.

screenshot_3.bmp

Now, add top armor.

screenshot_4.bmp

V. Remove the disks, and replace them with large drums. These will be the wheels. I added antweight blades to protect the drums.

screenshot_5.bmp

VI. WIRING- Left motor rotates counterclockwise, right motor and weapon motor rotate clockwise.

VII. DONE!

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
It's certainly closer to IRL than your last one, but it's still not quite there. The axle of your weapon motor needs to be fully supported by the extenders. You may need the Component Freedom mod to do this, but it's pretty much universally legal in IRL building so there's no issue there (just remember to turn it off again when you're building Standard or Unrealistic bots)

Again, I don't get why you don't just give it wheels. I'm aware I'm probably wasting my breath but you'd gain so much by having full controlled movement, and it's not even like you're saving weight in this configuration. Those drums probably weigh as much if not more than proper wheels. The setup you have here really is a lose-lose.

You also once AGAIN have too much battery. You can ditch 1 of the black batts and still have enough power for 3 motors easily.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
It's certainly closer to IRL than your last one, but it's still not quite there. The axle of your weapon motor needs to be fully supported by the extenders. You may need the Component Freedom mod to do this, but it's pretty much universally legal in IRL building so there's no issue there (just remember to turn it off again when you're building Standard or Unrealistic bots)

Again, I don't get why you don't just give it wheels. I'm aware I'm probably wasting my breath but you'd gain so much by having full controlled movement, and it's not even like you're saving weight in this configuration. Those drums probably weigh as much if not more than proper wheels. The setup you have here really is a lose-lose.

You also once AGAIN have too much battery. You can ditch 1 of the black batts and still have enough power for 3 motors easily.

I tried that. It's the same question of- How do you get the chain motor to stick out of the chassis? Every time I do that, it turns red, and I can't place it.

This WS actually does sufficiently well on drums. It bounces off the walls with ease, and will drive forward...eventually...

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »

I tried that. It's the same question of- How do you get the chain motor to stick out of the chassis? Every time I do that, it turns red, and I can't place it.
You need the component freedom mod, like I said.

This WS actually does sufficiently well on drums. It bounces off the walls with ease, and will drive forward...eventually...
Pretty sure it would do better on wheels my dude. People use them for a reason

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »

You need the component freedom mod, like I said.

Pretty sure it would do better on wheels my dude. People use them for a reason

I tried wheels on a drum WS. They only work on some. Most of them just get stuck.

I have CF, but I don't see it when I play DSL. Do I just select the "RA2 (component freedom)" application instead of the basic "RA2" application?

Just a heads-up, I'm on a WS building spri.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
A bot that's not a WS.

screenshot.bmp

I forgot how I did it, but I just invented a glitch that makes 10 mm. Steel as light as 5 mm. Steel.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »
A bot that's not a WS.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

I forgot how I did it, but I just invented a glitch that makes 10 mm. Steel as light as 5 mm. Steel.
See isn't that nice. A bot that has no weird design that you think is cool and clever just a simple neat bot. No WS no Drum wheels. I'm glad your listening to advice now.

Personally I think it's not terrible considering you've only just started IRL building. The wedges could be pushed forward and made smaller to properly look like a real bot. Maybe try making the bot as a whole more interesting. Unlike the other Metas IRL is a lot about making bots look fun and stuff or at least that's how I and a few others see it. Experiment with shapes and designs that could be more interesting.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
A bot that's not a WS.

See isn't that nice. A bot that has no weird design that you think is cool and clever just a simple neat bot. No WS no Drum wheels. I'm glad your listening to advice now.

Personally I think it's not terrible considering you've only just started IRL building. The wedges could be pushed forward and made smaller to properly look like a real bot. Maybe try making the bot as a whole more interesting. Unlike the other Metas IRL is a lot about making bots look fun and stuff or at least that's how I and a few others see it. Experiment with shapes and designs that could be more interesting.

Wandering Spinners are very complicated, so It's difficult to follow advice on those.

Other bots, however, Yes. It's very interesting what you can make in DSL, I can tell you that.

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »
A bot that's not a WS.

Wandering Spinners are very complicated, so It's difficult to follow advice on those.

Other bots, however, Yes. It's very interesting what you can make in DSL, I can tell you that.
They don't seem very complicated although I don't think I ever said they weren't in the previous feedback I have to you.
I'm not really sure where you got that idea from but you were right in thinking so.

Offline Sickle robotics

• Most improved 2019.
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Also know as SolaR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: SolaR#7815
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »
A bot that's not a WS.

Not bad.

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2019, 10:12:15 PM »
Congrats on making a bot with wheels. Its armor is really messy and looks tacked on. Try to integrate the armor closer to the rest of the chassis and design.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2019, 02:22:05 AM »
chassis seems very nice and compact, you did a good job minimizing chassis space. like superbomb said the armor panels look a bit messy, work on making it look more clean.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »
chassis seems very nice and compact, you did a good job minimizing chassis space. like superbomb said the armor panels look a bit messy, work on making it look more clean.

Messy? I fail to see how, but It does a bang-up job in combat.

I need to build some hammers and more wandering spinners since I'm hosting a personal tournament. (I'm hosting a personal because my public one isn't doing so well at the moment...)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:58 AM »

Messy? I fail to see how, but It does a bang-up job in combat.

I need to build some hammers and more wandering spinners since I'm hosting a personal tournament. (I'm hosting a personal because my public one isn't doing so well at the moment...)
They're all very incoherent. There's no real "flow" to the panelwork. It's like you just slapped on a bunch of panels. It would look a lot better if they looked more connected and flowed into each other better