Author Topic: RedAce's DSL Showcase  (Read 196280 times)

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
Re: RedAce's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1340 on: August 28, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
Ok, that is cool as sh**.

How'd you make that happen?

Looks like a skinned shell cover put on the top attached to a spinmotor.
I have several opinions.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1341 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:42 PM »
So I look back at most of my 2.1 bots from when I first came back here and... wow.  How time has not been kind to my older IRL bots to say the least.  You kids who've played 2.2 nowadays and never experienced 2.1 IRL have no idea man.

This is just a simple remake of the first bot I've showcased on for my return from my 2 1/2 year hiatus (Page 1 bot btw) to be more in my IRL style and to fix all of the issues now that 2.2 gives much more to work on.  Yes, I was rather inspired by Death Roll/Great White.  No, those aren't Kix's Mini Wheels, but more Geese's mesh fix which also cleans up the textures overall.

Offline NickyDustyOwl

• Rep: 3
  • The Scum Of The Earth
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: KermitNicky
« Reply #1342 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
10/10
Things I done did:

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1343 on: September 11, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
The usage of the taz wedges is pretty nice, but I feel like the weapon motor and srimech are kinda poorly-integrated. IK there's probably no real room for them inside the chassis with the 4 NPC fasts but I don't think asymmetrically slapping them on top is the answer personally
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1344 on: September 11, 2019, 09:36:13 PM »
The usage of the taz wedges is pretty nice, but I feel like the weapon motor and srimech are kinda poorly-integrated. IK there's probably no real room for them inside the chassis with the 4 NPC fasts but I don't think asymmetrically slapping them on top is the answer personally
Sadly, that's true.  There's really no room on the inside for that, and the most I can do is move the srimech to the other side to make it look a little better so it doesn't look as slapped on (Kinda in this image here).

Edit: Actually I just remembered there's most likely room since I used two TWMR2 Drives, so maybe I can try something, but I'm not sure how it'll look.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1345 on: September 16, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »

Made some improvements to the Venom lineup.  It's not a lot compared to the last version, but it should give a better chance with the wheelguards and sturdier defenses overall.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1346 on: September 16, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
This looks menacingly meaty: I'm a fan!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1347 on: September 16, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
normally not a huge fan of red and green but you pulled it off well. gj
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1348 on: September 27, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
Great bot! I think, you should make a typhoon version for tournaments, where Mechavore discs are illegal.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1349 on: September 30, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
I feel I should drum up some interest for these next two bots.

Had this bot around for a while, and shown it in Discord already, but I have tinkered the construction a tad, mainly cause the last time I saved the frame was from the rough draft and not the last thing I thought I saved.  Not sure how that happened, but regardless, I just tinkered up the skin and gave it a new name cause it lacked some charm to the skin, and it felt jarring due to it being so big.  It's fun to drive actually.  Kinda like Yeti, in a way.

I also had a drum in this style, but I just didn't like how big I made the previous version that I posted in the Discord a while back.  This version is a whole lot more fun due to it being small and compact.  I'm not 100% sure how tough it actually is, cause I can barely get a match going long enough before a crash occurs.  Also yes, this is my Micro Machines entrant.  No, it's not quite this version.  The differences from what's posted here is the weapon motors being the slow ones, cause I'm just lazy and not wanting to make something different just because I noticed when I finished up.  Also the MM version has Tite 10 cause weight restrictions aren't a thing, but I would like to keep two versions so I can have at least one to enter in a possible HW tournament eventually.

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #1350 on: September 30, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »
Really like the use of the ford wheels on Tsunami. They could probably use a new skin but still glad to see different components used nonetheless.

Also redrum looks fantastic, if only it was entered into a certain tournament run by a certain someone ;)
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1351 on: October 10, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
Two similarly designed bots since I haven't been too creative as of late.  I blame university classes really taking most of my creative time at the moment.

Updated Agent Orange to fix the invertibility and just wanted to fix up overall speed and durability so it can put up a fight in RA2 nowadays.  Considering this as my entrant for DM5 at this point.

A HW version to also try to tank a lot of hits and just be fast and furious.  I wasn't sure in the color scheme until I experimented with it.  Also, kinda a last minute decision to enter this in AC2, thanks Hop & Orc for giving me the idea.

Edit: Never mind, typhoons are banned.  Gonna have to fix that.

Yeah I know these are shameless clones, but once I can get some more free time than right now, I can probably come up with something to make use of skinning and just a more fun bot design.

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1352 on: October 11, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
Looking amazing as ever, RedAce. Especially love the colour schemes and the overall cohesiveness of your bots.

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1353 on: October 20, 2019, 07:33:13 AM »
You should call Agent Orange Agent Pumpkin. It would be a nice Halloween themed bot. You've done a very good job with those.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1354 on: October 24, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
Man I seem to be making some similar bots lately.  Well, at least this is for a special occasion

DeathMaw.png

Yes, this is actually based off Orc's signature bot, DeadGnaws.  This was for a contest a while back on the OW server, and the results?

But regardless, I feel I should make an original design so I can avoid issues with royalties and change up the design a little.

DeathJaws.png

It's a tad different without the side wedges, but it gives more frontal armor so it can tank hard hits from HS'es better.  I know DeathMaw has been able to handle M.O.E. just fine, but this should be able to handle it very similarly now that it has a tougher front.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1355 on: November 02, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Finally got around to building something that's not a vertical spinner for once.

AggressiveNegotiationsVI.png

I gotta say, this has to be probably the best version of Aggressive Negotiations yet.  With 6 NPC Fasts and two merged burst flippers this time, it just works.  So much faster and is much more powerful than ever.  It does have a habit of doing Mute style acrobatics when it needs to self-right, but hopefully good driving can mitigate the problem.  Not sure what I want to do with it yet.  I'm tempted to enter it in another parsec tournament at some point, but I still feel I haven't gotten enough practice to really put this to good use yet.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1356 on: December 15, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Haven't updated in a while, so I might as well put some bots I've been showcasing on Discord.

Wanted to make this for a while.  A Drum/HS T-Wrex Style design.  Does rather fine, but it needs more strength in the drum at least and the HS, so I might update this once I stop being lazy.

A Hammer-bot since I feel I haven't made one in ages.  It's kinda fun but lacking in personality in skin and such, so I didn't have much to say.

A second hammer bot, but this one is a CW and pretty good from the one or two tests I had.  The color scheme is kinda that fever dream idea from some "sweet tooth" hence the name.  Might actually update the edges since Robo showed a method that I never thought of, and the skin might be a bit too much in the color department.

Third incarnation of Redrum, a little more reminiscent of the actual bot in real life.  It's got Eteks powering the weapons so it's just as insane as well, so I guess it's appropriate.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1357 on: December 29, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
Does anyone even post comments here anymore?  Might as well just put in here so we all look at it then just walk away.

Oh yeah Deathmatch 5 is coming soon, but yeah back on topic I guess.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1358 on: December 29, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
I'm posting a comment to say GOOD LORD THIS IS HELLA FINE :heart_smiley: :heart_smiley:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1359 on: December 29, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
can't really give advice on an irl bot but looks pretty good man. bit sad no internals though. fun artbot
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier