Author Topic: Puppy's Showcase  (Read 12214 times)

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Puppy's Showcase
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
I tried this game out quite a while ago but had issues getting mods to work correctly. After finding a link on this site (thank you to the poster) that didn't require a more complicated install I decided to try making bots again. This is my first attempt after coming back.

DSL 2.1 (Standard for the most part.)

Updated images/stats of this bot:

Armor: Titanium 10
Weight: 790.8

Opinions welcomed. I should mention I probably won't know much terminology that may be used in these forums. Any questions about why I designed things a certain way, please feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:11:21 PM by Puppy »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Puppy's Showcase
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Use 2WD with hypnos and stronger motors.

Only use ant batts, like 7 for that one but 4-5 for 3 spin motors.

Pretty good overall.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
That is a very compact heavyweight.

I agree with Nar though, you do need stronger drive. What you don't need is that skirt wedge on the front, you could probably get the weight from scrapping the wedge.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
yes he does, it's a Backyard Shredder design and he def needs a wedge on it

what he doesn't need is that much chassis armor

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
Tried putting two stronger motors for movement instead of four and adjusted the batteries/armor placement. Not much improvement for movement but every bit helps. Switched tires to see how that works as well.

Weight: 792
(Images moved to top or updated.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:35:58 PM by Puppy »

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
TWM3R2 motors aren't very good for drive, you'd be better off with two NPCs if you can fit them.

Also you could use much fewer batteries, due to a bug in programming all spin motors only need one ant battery to power them for 3 minutes. You'd probably be better off with 3 ants and NPCs.

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
TWM3R2 motors aren't very good for drive, you'd be better off with two NPCs if you can fit them.

Also you could use much fewer batteries, due to a bug in programming all spin motors only need one ant battery to power them for 3 minutes. You'd probably be better off with 3 ants and NPCs.

Don't know if I could fit them and the armor. I tried a lot of motors but these seem to be the only ones that can fit. The battery bug seems strange... I'll look into it possibly. But for now I'll stick to this way :P If there wasn't a bug it'd be the right way? xD

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
Yeah, take a load of ants out (1 for each spin motor is generally used) and use some NPC drive and you miiiight be able to upgrade that weapon motor to a 4-mag.

EDIT:
As for placement of the NPC's, try using the Left and Rights to almost interlock them, kinda like this (from above)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
Yeah, take a load of ants out (1 for each spin motor is generally used) and use some NPC drive and you miiiight be able to upgrade that weapon motor to a 4-mag.

EDIT:
As for placement of the NPC's, try using the Left and Rights to almost interlock them, kinda like this (from above)
(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you much for the image! I'll see about that. In the meantime here's another bot I made based off an AI I saw. Not as unique but I liked the design :3 (using the same battery reasoning so it may not be efficient).

Updated bot/stats:

Armor: Aluminum 1
Weight: 797

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:39:50 PM by Puppy »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
just use 4-5 ants for that. and moar razors.

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
Last update for now of my first bot.

Titanium 10 now (cuz I can? xD)
Weight 751.8

(Images moved to main post.)

Much better! Thanks guys! :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:30:58 PM by Puppy »

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
And now for my upgraded second bot:

Aluminium 1
Weight: 779
Switched batteries to 6 ants.

(Moved image to first post of this bot.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:36:45 PM by Puppy »

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
I thought I was gonna see small dogs on this showcase I am disappointed.

Anyways, for the first bot, you could try and use flippermakers instead of angle connectors, they're more durable and weigh less, might also want to use up the remaining 50 KG's.

As for your second bot, what motor is it using?

EDIT: I didn't see the other pictures D:

Anyways, I think you should do what Craaig says, upgrade the sheet on top.
beep beep

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
Try to build to the weight limit - for example on the 2nd one you could probably upgrade the sheet on top, also, personally I'd bring the armour on the first one down from Tite10 to have enough weight to switch the 2Mag weapon motor for a 4mag/Tornado Mer Gearbox.
Finally, a little housekeeping, you can always edit your first post instead of double posting, especially if they're that close in time :P

EDIT: Also, what SHIELD said with the flippermakers. They're not as pretty but SO much more durable.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Try to build to the weight limit - for example on the 2nd one you could probably upgrade the sheet on top, also, personally I'd bring the armour on the first one down from Tite10 to have enough weight to switch the 2Mag weapon motor for a 4mag/Tornado Mer Gearbox.
Finally, a little housekeeping, you can always edit your first post instead of double posting, especially if they're that close in time :P

EDIT: Also, what SHIELD said with the flippermakers. They're not as pretty but SO much more durable.

I tried switching but 4mag didn't fit in. I'll look into it once more.

Anyways, for the first bot, you could try and use flippermakers instead of angle connectors, they're more durable and weigh less, might also want to use up the remaining 50 KG's.

I haven't changed much in the second bot from the original post. Just the batteries. I could probably upgrade motors for movement though it doesn't seem to need it. Flippermakers? I'll look for 'em :3

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »

I haven't changed much in the second bot from the original post. Just the batteries. I could probably upgrade motors for movement though it doesn't seem to need it. Flippermakers? I'll look for 'em :3

With the weight you have left, you MIGHT be able to add on another row of razors, or just add on a better sheet? I dunno. Your call.
beep beep

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »

With the weight you have left, you MIGHT be able to add on another row of razors, or just add on a better sheet? I dunno. Your call.

I settled on upgrading the sheet for now. :P

Offline Puppy

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 05:25:34 AM »
Been a little bit but I felt I needed a flipper bot. I'm still poking at friends to get the game. I highly prefer multiplayer so I've been trying to get that working with game ranger but my friends feel the game is to outdated :P

Anyway, here it is.

Armor: Titanium 5
Weight: 792.2

Shading of the arm is a little weird in the previews. Sorry about that.

Only tested this a bit. Works against some AI flipper bots which was my major worry. Keeping the arm protected is a big issue on a lot of bots so I decided to protect it. Though I feel the end flipper might not be strong enough to take much damage... Unsure how to fix that.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
my friends feel the game is to outdated :P
It doesn't matter how old the game is. The most important is that you're having fun with the game.

The robot looks alright. I would add another piece of wheel protectors to the back, so the beater would be "attached" back into the chassis.

Offline Shield

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »
looks great

would be better if you could finish the wheelguard and add on one more beater

you could lower the armor down to 5 plastic to make weight for that