Author Topic: Primeval's DSL showcase  (Read 4147 times)

Offline PrimevalMamba

• The King of Prehistory
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Primeval's DSL showcase
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
There are many robots I have to go through. So I think it's best to start with the robot that I have been working on ever since I first got an RA2 game; Saturnalia. A powerful rear-hinged flipper capable of flipping anything over

Next up is a series of robots based off of characters from the hit YouTube series RWBY. First up is Magnhild, aka the weapon of Nora Valkyrie.

You can't have a Nora robot without her crush though, so here's the Ren robot: Stormflower

Next up in the RWBY robot series is Jaune's robot Crocea Mors.

And the titular character Ruby Rose

And finally, the best ship of RWBY, Black Sun:

Right, off the RWBY train and onto a replica of a live event robot.

And now, some original robots:

Lemme know thoughts in the comments

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Primeval's DSL showcase
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
That's quite the robot dump.

Pretty solid start, all in all.

I particularly like Saturnalia and Crocea Mors. Pretty nifty in their simplicity, and some nice touches with the skin and decorative armour plates, respectively.

I'd say the spinners all need work. The exposed wheels and clunky looking supports look a bit messy.

Welcome to the forums.  :mrgreen:

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
No idea what Crocea Mors is based off of, but it looks pretty sweet with those wing things a the back.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
>Black Sun
>best ship

We are no longer friends.

...I'm kidding. I'm not that petty :P Black Sun the robot actually does need some work though, weapon looks a little messy and it has way too many batteries. You also seem to have built a few samey-looking wedge flippers. Still pretty good stuff for a newcomer, though! I like the spiky bits on Crocea Mors, and the originality of Ruby Rose (don't see too many IRL VS with that kind of weapon shape). Looking forward to more!

Oh, and a final suggestion: if you're dumping loads of bots at once like that, it's best to put each bot's pics in a separate spoiler tag just to the page loads faster. I did the same thing when I first joined :P
My DSL Showcase

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
I would give criticism but there are so many bots that giving detailed criticism takes ages and is a waste of time.

Don't bot dump.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
There are many robots I have to go through. So I think it's best to start with the robot that I have been working on ever since I first got an RA2 game; Saturnalia. A powerful rear-hinged flipper capable of flipping anything over
(Image removed from quote.)

Next up is a series of robots based off of characters from the hit YouTube series RWBY. First up is Magnhild, aka the weapon of Nora Valkyrie.

You can't have a Nora robot without her crush though, so here's the Ren robot: Stormflower

Next up in the RWBY robot series is Jaune's robot Crocea Mors.

And the titular character Ruby Rose

And finally, the best ship of RWBY, Black Sun:

Right, off the RWBY train and onto a replica of a live event robot.

And now, some original robots:

Lemme know thoughts in the comments

Looking really good for a start off however, on a HW, using slimbodys isn't really enought power, also on Ruby Rose, you could probably have less on the support frames

Saturnalia 2: Good start here however, the drive clips trough the burst and you have way to many batteries. You could probably shrink this down and turn it into a CW or make the flipper wider or some other modification. Oh and you'd need wedges to get under stuff.

Magnhild: Again, too many batteries, not enough drive power on a HW (NPC Fast, or TWMR2 Drives should be good) and the hammer needs more power, I recommend using a Beta motor. Nice shape though, I also recommend wedges for this. Finally maybe have some armour panels. However very nice concept.

Stormflower: The weapon clips through the motor, seems like there's again too much batteries (Spin motors on use 10 amps). Good drive on this one. I recommend changing the motor around, to make it so that it doesn't clip through the motor.

Crocea Mors: One of my favourites in this initial showcase. Wings really give it character. Wedges are great. However, I think it again needs more drive (I see 4 slimbodys, it could have other things. Idk) I recommend you user TMWR2 drives, and has too many batteries. Other than that, great job.

Ruby Rose: The other favourite, Love the VS setup, I recommend like I said before, less supports on the weapon, and not enough drive. Also I can't really tell about batteries I only see 2 long batts which is good. I think you should also beef up the spinning arm, add some large beaters to it or more weapons.

Black Sun: Again, too many batteries, no enough drive. Interesting hammer setup but I think could use more weapons, beaters, teeth, etc.

Yoton: Solid, I think a wider flipper end would be good to match.

Rum: I can't offer much due to the lack of inside photos, but I can say, looks good. I offer the previous advice of too many batteries and too little power, if it applies.

FlipperArma: Very nice, like above I can't give the best feedback on this because of the lack of inside shots. Though I can say, the wedge looks great, and the flipper is good although slightly messy.

Overall solid start, though some general advice, armour See https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=5739.0 It's for DSL 2.1 but gives a good indication. Use drive to match the weight class, for HW, TWMR2 and NPC are a solid choice. Finally, you don't have to fill your bot with batteries, remember spin motors only use 10 amps.

I can't wait to see what you improve on, you have some unique concepts and have made a promising start  :thumbup

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:16:38 AM by Hoppin »
Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
I agree with most of the other feedback given so far. I like Ruby Rose and Crocea Mors a lot, but a few of the others look a little bit generic, and could do with something to differentiate them (Like Crocea Mors' wings for example)

Don't bot dump.
Or do since Avalanche is the only one who cares about this. More bots means more stuff to give feedback on and a better idea of the overall level of your building at the time of posting.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums, All of these look pretty nice even if there underweight.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »
I agree with most of the other feedback given so far. I like Ruby Rose and Crocea Mors a lot, but a few of the others look a little bit generic, and could do with something to differentiate them (Like Crocea Mors' wings for example)

Don't bot dump.
Or do since Avalanche is the only one who cares about this. More bots means more stuff to give feedback on and a better idea of the overall level of your building at the time of posting.

Or don't, because this advice used to be standard before a lot more people began bot dumping and not taking advice because their building was already good/they were morons who didn't take advice anyways, and also because dumping bots means you get a lower quality of advice spread between all the robots instead of high detail focus on a single robot.

As an example, look at how you've literally just said: I like Ruby Rose and Crocea Mors, but others look generic. That's hardly detailed advice.

The most detailed advice has gotten is: "I'd say the spinners all need work. The exposed wheels and clunky looking supports look a bit messy" and " Black Sun the robot actually does need some work though, weapon looks a little messy and it has way too many batteries. You also seem to have built a few samey-looking wedge flippers." which really only ives basic advice on one robot, and limited advice on multiple.

Just post them one at a time for detailed advice.

It's 1 o clock, so I'll give better advice later today.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:22 AM »
With all the time you spend bitching about people posting multiple robots, you could actually give feedback on them instead. Just a thought.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
With all the time you spend bitching about people posting multiple robots, you could actually give feedback on them instead. Just a thought.

I had to go off and it was 1am. I needed sleep so I finished the post off and went to bed. I'll review en in a bit.

Also, well done to Hoppin for editing in detailed advice. That's what showcases are for.

Saturnalia: Good but generic. Give it some accenting with wedge edges, spikes, extenders, extras. You have a lot of colours to choose from, try and use them all. Also, it needs a less generic skin. Also, this robot is unrealistic as ****. Look at how the npc goes through the burst. How the hell is a piston meant to get through there?

Magnhild: Build to the weightlimit. That's just under 125kg wasted. Your chassis is too small. That's a ****ing puny burst. I'd be surprised if your robot didn't fly through the air everytime you fired the burst. Slimbodies on a HW? No. Use the weight limit and get some NPC'sin there. Stick an armour plate on or 2 to add to the look. Decorate. The skin looks messy with some being plain white and others being metal. Build up a look for the skin.

Stormflower: Unrealistic as ****: the bar and teeth go through the perm and I think actually hit the drive motors and wheels in places. The Sir K claws do not fit the bar: use something else. Put the perm in theback and extend the belt out to the front. Use Left and Right NPC's because they are flatter. Too many batteries for sure: The batteries shuld tell you how many motors they can power, and for how long they power it for.

Crocea Mors: Looks good. Slimbodies clip with the battlepacks though, and that is not good. Get into the habit of Building realistic constantly. Using an excuse of "it won't appear in tournaments" is just a way of refusing to improve.

Ruby Rose: Can't really see the internals well. Try and fit the skin to the extender colour. You probably need a wedge on there. Slimbodies for drive? NO.

Black Sun: Unrealistic. Don't use Ant batteries. Longer belt on the motor. Underweight.

Yoton: Generic. Needs a better skin. Underweight: this is underweight even for Cruiserweight standards. Unrealistic AGAIN.

Rum/Flipper Arma/Garudimimus/Einiosaurus: Looks decent. No advice available becaus eyou haven't provided internals, outside of a request for a better skin.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:20:38 AM by Avalanche »
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »

I had to go off and it was 1am. I needed sleep so I finished the post off and went to bed. I'll review en in a bit.

Also, well done to Hoppin for editing in detailed advice. That's what showcases are for.

Saturnalia: Good but generic. Give it some accenting with wedge edges, spikes, extenders, extras. You have a lot of colours to choose from, try and use them all. Also, it needs a less generic skin. Also, this robot is unrealistic as ****. Look at how the npc goes through the burst. How the hell is a piston meant to get through there?

Magnhild: Build to the weightlimit. That's just under 125kg wasted. Your chassis is too small. That's a ****ing puny burst. I'd be surprised if your robot didn't fly through the air everytime you fired the burst. Slimbodies on a HW? No. Use the weight limit and get some NPC'sin there. Stick an armour plate on or 2 to add to the look. Decorate. The skin looks messy with some being plain white and others being metal. Build up a look for the skin.

Stormflower: Unrealistic as ****: the bar and teeth go through the perm and I think actually hit the drive motors and wheels in places. The Sir K claws do not fit the bar: use something else. Put the perm in theback and extend the belt out to the front. Use Left and Right NPC's because they are flatter. Too many batteries for sure: The batteries shuld tell you how many motors they can power, and for how long they power it for.

Crocea Mors: Looks good. Slimbodies clip with the battlepacks though, and that is not good. Get into the habit of Building realistic constantly. Using an excuse of "it won't appear in tournaments" is just a way of refusing to improve.

Ruby Rose: Can't really see the internals well. Try and fit the skin to the extender colour. You probably need a wedge on there. Slimbodies for drive? NO.

Black Sun: Unrealistic. Don't use Ant batteries. Longer belt on the motor. Underweight.

Yoton: Generic. Needs a better skin. Underweight: this is underweight even for Cruiserweight standards. Unrealistic AGAIN.

Rum/Flipper Arma/Garudimimus/Einiosaurus: Looks decent. No advice available becaus eyou haven't provided internals, outside of a request for a better skin.

Still no excuse to moan about it. If multiple bots annoy you then just bypass it: you're the only guy with an issue about it. In any case, it's nice to see that you actually took the time to give Primeval feedback which is all he wanted in the first place...even if you are a bit harsh at times.  :smile:

Anyway, nice to see your DSL bots on here Primeval. I'm gonna start by saying you have a great imagination which is always a good start. I can see your robots really improving if you take on the advice people give you here, who knows what heights you'll reach?!  :mrgreen:

Saturnalia - The robot looks great on the outside but the motors clipping the burst isn't good. I've always liked the design of this bot though!

Magnhild - I like the body shape but could it perhaps be a bit bigger? Means you could fit in better suiting motors which are more appropriate for the weightclass! Does the robot go unsteady when it fires, the third picture seems to suggest this so maybe add some weights in the front and back of the hammer? Might help with the weight issue too! Skin wise, I like it but I feel the metal parts are outlandish...perhaps replace these with some regular grey paint?

Stormflower - It looks alright but the spinning blade goes through the motor. The wheels also go through the body at a weird angle. Perhaps rebuilt the bot to have more of a UK Fluffy-like body? The Killalot claws kinda suit the bar but don't at the same time. Did you experiment with other weapons on there?  :smile:

Crocea Mors - Love the design of this bot, definitely my favourite visually! Again, the motors/batteries clipping isn't very good so if you could change that, it'd be awesome!

Ruby Rose - It looks decent but like Ava said, it's a bit hard to see the insides. Can't really say anymore, sorry!

Black Sun - Definitely more than enough batteries in there, you don't need that many! Robot looks pretty cool though although it looks like again, the blade will clip through parts of the robot like batteries.

Yoton - Simple but cool looking, I can't tell how clumped together the insides are so if they are clipping etc make sure to change that!

I can only give visual advice/comments on the last four bots, make sure to provide internal shots if possible!

Rum - Looks quite cool, I like the spinning drum!

FlipperArma - That sure is a big flipper! Bot looks cool but the wheels clipping through the top at a weird angle kinda bring it down a little bit for me.

Garudimimus - Simple robot that reminds me of Robochicken, could do with a better skin if possible though!

Einiosaurus - It looks pretty cool, I especially like the flipper design. Wheels slightly poking out the side but this is easily fixable I'm sure!

Keep it up man, I look forward to seeing your improvements/future robots! :mrgreen:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline PrimevalMamba

• The King of Prehistory
  • Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
About time I showed more of my bots off here XP Anyway, I've been designing a HW machine in RWRA2 which is a rammer with a flipping plate and disc (might show it off one day in a RWRA2 showcase XP). Anyway, after the beauty of that machine, I wanted to build its beautiful design in DSL, and so meet a new MW, Acanthostega:

And of course an internals shot:

Another thing I've been doing is giving all the other robots previously shown either Magmotor drive or NPC, as well as a new AW and BW that you'll see soon ;)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
I like the compact internals, but I also think it's very bland. And I feel like that flipper doesn't have enough force behind it for a MW.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »
Gotta agree with badger, recommend yiu use a bigger burst turn it around and make it a plow like flipper, thay might be more effective and give it moe personality. Plus green usnt that good for me but thats just opinion lol
Things I did & done

Offline PrimevalMamba

• The King of Prehistory
  • Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
Well the flipper is more of a secondary weapon, plus it actually flips pretty powerfully the way it is. I may improve the skin in some way, but other than that I think it should be good

Offline PrimevalMamba

• The King of Prehistory
  • Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Another mini bot dump, but before I do I want to make a point regarding complaints about the bots being unrealistic as well as certain complaints I had regarding the Yoton machine. To which I say these:

1) Not every bot I build will have absolutely 0 intersecting parts. Sometimes the only way to get parts in the right place is to use the RA2CF the way it was meant to be
2) Not all of these robots are planned to be entered into tournaments, and those that are that here aren't realistic (see Saturnalia 2) have been modified in their drives and such to be realistic
3) Yoton is a replica of a real machine, as such it is as close to the real machine as I can get without being on the team of RWRA2

With that all said and done, here are some of my smaller weight class machines as well as internal shots of Ruby that should hopefully show more.

(Yes you're looking at this right, I built an AW flipper. And it really works without physics glitching)

(No internals shot of this one bc game crashed when I was trying to)

Hope you all enjoy

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:46 AM »
Crop. Your. Screenshots.

And "RA2CF exists" isn't a valid reason to make an illegal bot. If your components don't fit, make your chassis bigger, move other components out of the way or use a different component. In particular, I think the BSG is intersecting the drive motors in your first bot.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 03:55:17 AM »
he said hes not entering them in tournaments, no reason to ride in here on a high horse and play game enforcer. if he's not entering them in competition, it's a totally valid reason to build however the hell he wants, really. i haven't turned the cf off since i installed it just because it's a fun new way to experience a game i've been playing on and off for over a decade.

really, what is a valid reason to make an 'illegal bot'? 'because he felt like it' isn't good enough? let a man live
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 03:56:05 AM »
on the subject of the bots i do very much dig the beetle and antweight flippers
-------------------------------
who love to party