Author Topic: Phoenyx's Showcase - Glass Cannons and random robots  (Read 14898 times)

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Phoenyx's Showcase - Glass Cannons and random robots
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »
get the true DSL(on Sages and Zog's sig)
no

unless he uses stock or cheatbot2 parts on his bots hes fine
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
Cool. Could be made more efficient while keeping the same design.

Also Gauche, stop criticizing originality and therefore giving bad advice.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
Have you seen my IRL full body drums? They might give you an insight into a cleaner design.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Have you seen my IRL full body drums? They might give you an insight into a cleaner design.
Check the splash here. And check out my AWESOME GOLD BOT THAT BEAT S_M
They're also a good example of axle loading,

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
it is technically unrealistic but could be done IRL with some axles. I like the use of cobra wheels, even though they aren't the best :D

Offline Phoenyx

• Rep: 0
  • Finally using my official Avatar
    • pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Cool. Could be made more efficient while keeping the same design.

Also Gauche, stop criticizing originality and therefore giving bad advice.

Alright, but I only have 30 kg left, and I'm running Pl1 armour under the thresher. This thing is exceptionally big and heavy, and IRL would be a super-heavyweight.

Also, what exactly did he say? It's kinda made me curious.

That one's pretty neat, though I can see where the front casters may get in the way. Also, what direction are you spinning that drum?

I try to avoid using glitches for now. I don't want to cause Havok by doing things incorrectly. My one attempt at a trinity spinner kept teleporting out of the arena.

it is technically unrealistic but could be done IRL with some axles. I like the use of cobra wheels, even though they aren't the best :D
Rule of cool.  ;) Also, I didn't want to use those huge pizza-cutter wheels that come with the stock game, and the motorcycle wheels were either too big or two small.
  :SFTW

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »

That one's pretty neat, though I can see where the front casters may get in the way. Also, what direction are you spinning that drum?

I try to avoid using glitches for now. I don't want to cause Havok by doing things incorrectly. My one attempt at a trinity spinner kept teleporting out of the arena.

My drum spins upwards.
Axle loading is no more havoky than standard weapons on motors.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »
Agreed. It's also a very useful one to learn, look at Sage's videos in tutorials and tips.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
Alright then, I'll give it a try. I'll have to do it on another robot though. I probably can't fit any thing else on this one.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Not exactly a robot that needed axle loading to build, here's a replica of Dead Metal, weighing in at an impressive 978.6 (or so) kg.

This replica has Ti5 under a thick shell of flipper segments and titanium extenders. Pole spikes and a pair of spike strips line the top of the machine. In keeping with Dead Metal's original design, I used Slipperbottom wheelchair tires for the wheels. There's a weird glitch where the wheels won't turn while the robot is moving. Also, sometimes the forward and steering channels swap after receiving a hard hit, probably due to clearance issues.

The weapon is surprisingly quite capable, but like the original machine it has to get a good grip and is exposed to retaliation when attacking. It also dwarfs the replicas included in DSL (even Sir Killalot) with the exception o.

It's hard to see underneath all those armour segments, but it was a pain to build all that.

I had to cut a few corners with this bot due to the narrow chassis layout. I've got four ants (instead of six) and two battlepacks under the armour, along with two NPCs, two Magmotor burst motors (Instead of those other larger ones), and a small DSL servo (instead of the HP one). The saw is powered by a piglet for size and weight reasons.

Special thanks to ACAMS for his Antiballast component, which this replica would be much less accurate without. The antiballast component isn't actually on the finished chassis, but was used in the construction process to facilitate the building of a superheavyweight.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
Nice work. How often does it havok? The replica I made havoked a LOT when I tried to put anything on bursts.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
It only Havoks occasionally if parts of its armour get knocked off after a hit at a certain angle or so. I haven't had issues with it. I was kinda paranoid about havoking during the entire build process, though, so I made sure to not build any complex mechanics.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
I have a major update to post. At 4:35 AM EST on June 6th, 2012, I completed testing on a "full-body" drum/thresher (well, as close to one as possible without doing the whole "tilt it on its side" deal). It works a bit like what would happen if Nightmare was built as a barrel/drum/thresher/eggbeater rather than a VS. I have named this machine "Bragging Rights", and it is categorized under my Atomic Industries team, which I use for the development of innovative designs.

(Image removed from quote.)

Although the hammers on the back can be used to SnS and ram, they are intended as ballast. I couldn't find the ballast component in DSL.

The batteries and control board are housed within the lightly armoured case within the beater. I used the vertical-mounted control board due to space requirements.

Bragging Rights vs a bunch of crates. In actual battles, this machine easily took out typical realistic heavyweight robots like Loki (not shown yet, a Village Idiot clone), but it had trouble with both Alien Warrior II (which literally disassembled it) and TM05 (Not shown yet, an extremely slow machine with heavy armour and probably one of the most powerful hammer weapons ever, plus its name is a Glitch Move in Pokemon Red and Blue learned by the Glitch Pokemon h POKe).

I believe it would be possible to build a similar design IRL, with similarities to Towering Inferno, The Master and Stinger, but not exactly like the version pictured. The drum would be spun by multiple powered rollers rather than a single motor, and the rear stabilizers would be connected directly to the drive pods rather than the main chassis.

Honestly, if you were to attempt a similar design, I'd say do it for the challenge of building it rather than as an effective combatant. It's a lot of fun to drive, though, and it looks awesome in the arena.

I remember building something like that for a BOTM a while back. Unfortunately, I don't have any other pics of its innards anymore (nor do I have the .bot file, actually) so I can't quite show you how I did it. And yes, it's realistic:

I think I have a MW version in my showcase too.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
PHOENYX YOU KNOW ABOUT POKEMON RED GLITCHES YOU ARE AWESOME
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:12:52 AM by Badnik96 »

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
PHOENYX YOU KNOW ABOUT POKEMON RED GLITCHES YOU ARE AWESOME

As off-topic as that is...  :mrgreen:

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
Something of a different pace...

I originally intended to enter this in BOTM, but then it completely slipped my mind. It's a WWII Halftrack, a military vehicle that combines the maneuverability and stealth of a truck with all-terain capabilities of a tank.

Sorry, no pictures of the internals on this one, mainly because there's just a car steering rack and a PC565 inside along with the control board. This was actually built before my replica of Dead Metal, around the time when I built my original "Alien Warrior" which I scrapped and replaced with the version you see today. The armour's Pl1, since I never intended to actually use this in a fight.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 02:37:15 AM »
I know it's been a long time since I updated my showcase, but I need some help with a middleweight that will be used as a "byebot" of sorts if and when I start my first tournament.

The thing is, I can't get it to actually toss bots into the air. I can get it to lift and self-right, but that air-time I'm looking for is elusive.

It uses two NPC-T64s with Tornados (my typical drivetrain choice for IRL robots) and a small JX burst motor. Power-wise it has two ants and three battlepacks.

It's a WIP robot designed similar to an IRL robot but with slightly relaxed rules on overlap/clipping, and at the moment it is severely underweight. Any suggestions?

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:23 AM »
I'm not sure but I think I remember beeing told small jx is alway a bad choice.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 02:46:30 AM »
I know. Problem is that a Beta motor won't fit, large JXs aren't worth the weight, and Mags aren't strong enough.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »
Judge Burst? Only thing I can think of that would fit.
Also to use up weight you could get some wheelguards on the front. You'd also gain extra coolness points from them.