Author Topic: Orc's DSL Showcase  (Read 22206 times)

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Orc's DSL Showcase
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
So I've been getting into DSL more recently (thanks to Demon's latest tournament for really kicking my motivation into gear!) They are probably not the best designs as I'm still learning, some have quite a bit of open space/areas but hey, I'm welcome to feedback!  :bigsmile:

GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Orc's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
I gotta say I really like these, especially with the team theme you've given them!  One thing to note is that piglets aren't meant to be drive motors (see: the first two), consider switching those.  How well does the train move?  6 slimbodies doesn't seem like it ought to be enough for a SHW.

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
Solid start. Nice theme to them.

Some tips on the first two while I've got time;

Goblin - Piglets for drive is a no-no. Slimbodies are probably the best bet there.

Bruiser: Probably wouldn't use a Mace on that piston. Maybe an Iron Spike to keep the aesthetic of the others. This and Goblin are both underpowered as well. Needs another battery, or one big one.

I'll come back and give advice on the others when I've got time, but I'm a big fan of General Orcatraz and Bane Train.  :thumbup

Offline Jammy Dodger

• The welsh idiot you probably dislike
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
solid HW, CW , LW and MW also Bane Train is adorable :P

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
I gotta say I really like these, especially with the team theme you've given them!  One thing to note is that piglets aren't meant to be drive motors (see: the first two), consider switching those.  How well does the train move?  6 slimbodies doesn't seem like it ought to be enough for a SHW.

Thank you! I've changed the motors as you and others have recommended! Bane Train is a bit sluggish...what motors would you recommend?

Solid start. Nice theme to them.

Some tips on the first two while I've got time;

Goblin - Piglets for drive is a no-no. Slimbodies are probably the best bet there.

Bruiser: Probably wouldn't use a Mace on that piston. Maybe an Iron Spike to keep the aesthetic of the others. This and Goblin are both underpowered as well. Needs another battery, or one big one.

I'll come back and give advice on the others when I've got time, but I'm a big fan of General Orcatraz and Bane Train.  :thumbup

Thank you, seems like a few people like the theme I've got going on! Changed the motors, added/changed batteries and also gone for an Iron Spike for Bruiser for consistency like you said! I look forward to the rest of your advice!

solid HW, CW , LW and MW also Bane Train is adorable :P

Thank you...STOP CALLING THE ULTIMATE TRAIN OF DOOM AND DESTRUCTION ADORABLE, HE WILL TRAMPLE OVER YOU!  ::2mad
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »
Not bad. Though for some of Robot's like Bruiser, the chassis is too large. You could make the chassis smaller to save weight so you can use it for more weapons or anything else that might take your fancy like replacing the single mace with a chain of spikes. Just remember to build your chassis around your parts, not the parts for the chassis if you need an idea.
For Devorcatrz, don't use Standard axe heads for the teeth! There are more powerful weapons components in the game that can deal more damage than the axes head like Typhoon teeth for example, if you struggling to put them on, try shave off some weight like replacing the heavier bicycle wheels for more smaller wheels with better grip like shiny hubs or something. Also for your Cruiser, avoid using the PC265 batteries, you get enough power for your cruiser using some of the long black batteries or a couple of ant batteries and these will save you some weight of your Robots, you should have enough power to last a three minute match in most cases.

Overall, not a bad start into DSL IRL. As you learn, you builds will get better over time so don't worry about it. Also what Armour do you use anyway?

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
Not bad. Though for some of Robot's like Bruiser, the chassis is too large. You could make the chassis smaller to save weight so you can use it for more weapons or anything else that might take your fancy like replacing the single mace with a chain of spikes. Just remember to build your chassis around your parts, not the parts for the chassis if you need an idea.
For Devorcatrz, don't use Standard axe heads for the teeth! There are more powerful weapons components in the game that can deal more damage than the axes head like Typhoon teeth for example, if you struggling to put them on, try shave off some weight like replacing the heavier bicycle wheels for more smaller wheels with better grip like shiny hubs or something. Also for your Cruiser, avoid using the PC265 batteries, you get enough power for your cruiser using some of the long black batteries or a couple of ant batteries and these will save you some weight of your Robots, you should have enough power to last a three minute match in most cases.

Overall, not a bad start into DSL IRL. As you learn, you builds will get better over time so don't worry about it. Also what Armour do you use anyway?

Thank you for the advice! I tend to use the Steel armour across my robots apart from Crumplezone which I picked aluminium for.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

Thank you for the advice! I tend to use the Steel armour across my robots apart from Crumplezone which I picked aluminium for.
From a lot of sources like the defunct wiki and Senior members like Naryar, Armours types like Titanium and plastic 5-10 (don't use 3mm in a serious bot but 1mm can be handy for lighter bots I think) are recommended, because both types are good for bot protection and good on bot weight management as well. Armours like Steel and Aluminium are particularly useless due to the later being somewhat weak and the former being a waste of weight, try avoiding them if you can. At least you didn't say DSA (Double-Strength Aluminium). When DSA is required for Stock building due to DSA being toughest out of all the Stock armours, DSA is incredibly weak when compared to the strengths and toughness of other DSL armours. Hope this help anyway.     

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

From a lot of sources like the defunct wiki and Senior members like Naryar, Armours types like Titanium and plastic 5-10 (don't use 3mm in a serious bot but 1mm can be handy for lighter bots I think) are recommended, because both types are good for bot protection and good on bot weight management as well. Armours like Steel and Aluminium are particularly useless due to the later being somewhat weak and the former being a waste of weight, try avoiding them if you can. At least you didn't say DSA (Double-Strength Aluminium). When DSA is required for Stock building due to DSA being toughest out of all the Stock armours, DSA is incredibly weak when compared to the strengths and toughness of other DSL armours. Hope this help anyway.   

I think the armours got rebalanced for 2.2, but I don't play DSL enough to know which ones are good and which aren't.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »
Just so people know I've been listening, I've made modifications to the robots that needed them: I'll probably be rebuilding some of these but these are the versions I have entered into DemonOfTomorrow's tournament as of today!

I'll probably make some more robots soon and post them here.

Any other feedback is appreciated! Thank you!  :mrgreen:

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
DIDN'T READ LOL

I think the armours got rebalanced for 2.2, but I don't play DSL enough to know which ones are good and which aren't.
They underwent the same """balancing""" that the components went through. i.e. heavier armors are far more efficient than lighter armors. Steel 10 has about twice the HP/kg than Plastic 1 does.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
DIDN'T READ LOL

They underwent the same """balancing""" that the components went through. i.e. heavier armors are far more efficient than lighter armors. Steel 10 has about twice the HP/kg than Plastic 1 does.
with all this talk of dsl not being balanced, plus retooled being meh-sh** (i don't really have an opinion on it) do you mind seeing if you can rebalance it?
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »
Just so people know I've been listening, I've made modifications to the robots that needed them: I'll probably be rebuilding some of these but these are the versions I have entered into DemonOfTomorrow's tournament as of today!

(Image removed from quote.)

I'll probably make some more robots soon and post them here.

Any other feedback is appreciated! Thank you!  :mrgreen:

these aren't bad. a little bland, but not bad.

the bottom left bot would look better without the random spike strip at the back imo. would give you a little bit of weight to maybe connect the wheel guards to the chassis. can we get a full picture of it?

the bot on the bottom right would look better if the "head" of the Chassis tapered instead of being a flat wall

the mw and lw are neat. but the wheels clipping the chassis are a bit odd imo. i would rotate the wheel motors so the wheels line up parallel with the chassis wall but thats just me.

EDIT: saw the full pics
beep beep

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »

So I was inspired by several things (including Snake from Battlebots) to make a snake robot that actually twists and turns! I rather like how it turned out!

Offline Sylandro

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -22
  • :antithinking:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
well that's something you don't see everyday, i like it

what weight class?
<*Jade*> Are you trying to blow up Jupiter?

Tournament Records

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
That's pretty cool and bright.  Have you looked at the Anthro team from IF?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
pretty cool! i like the eyes made out of the extender bits

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:18:12 AM »

Thank you: it's a Middleweight at 394.4kg.  :smile:

I have not really looked at Ironforge at all!

pretty cool! i like the eyes made out of the extender bits

Thank you Badnik! I'm pretty happy how it turned out myself ^_^

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
That's pretty awesome.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
That's pretty awesome.

Thank you very much! :D